Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Had a gig last night, and the guitarist in the other band also had a Helix (although he had the Floor as opposed to my LT, and the real backpack instead of my cheap Novation one...I think he was compensating for something).

"You done the update yet?"
    "Nah, I figured I'd wait until I'd got this gig out of the way."
    "Don't worry mate, the instructions work perfectly, just do it! Got some oddness with my expression pedal, though..."

:D
    Re/ Expression pedal oddness.  Reports elsewhere of a bug affecting EXP which might be relevant.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    The Facebook group is a borderline cult. 
    The gear page has got alot of very Helpful people, but also alot of people just looking to argue. 
    This fretboard is alot slower paced. Can get the answers you want most the time and some good discussions, also so funny arguments. Shame about the rick rolling. 

gibsongretschfan said:
    TimmyO said:
    The FB group is fanboy hell.

If anyone enquires about a post update oddity they just get a barrage of "rtfm noob" abuse 
    that bloody Chad Boston one? couldn't stand it. ended up having a meltdown and calling everyone a bunch of snivelling sycophantic brown nosing cunts. and that guy is like Helix's embarrassing old fat uncle. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Ive muted the group, I'll prob leave after this thou as I only keep part of it as I wanted to know updated on the updates.

Also, the Rev amp had made me actually start jamming and trying to write songs. I did an hour of song writing last night and it was like I was 20 again. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2248
    You did notice that it is supposed to give you a failure warning?

Then you click ok....
    I did read the instructions yes. Line 6 always make a big deal of making sure you read the instructions.

When updating my LT, I got an 'update failure' reported in the main dialogue box of the Line 6 Updater. I did a retry but it got stuck in the Line 6 updater window, with nothing happening. Then I looked down at my LT and the screen said to reboot the device. So I turned my LT off and on again. The next time I tried the update it all worked fine.

So, in my case, step 3a note 6 wasn't quite as described in the instructions. 

I had some slight strangeness when updating Helix Native. It was necessary to re-authorise the plug-in, which worked fine for my desktop but I got the message that I'd reached my device limit when updating on my laptop. So I had to de-authorise my laptop first, before I could re-authorise it on the same laptop.

All's well that ends well :)

It's not a competition.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 894
    John_A said:
    Nope, just go through them and set levels accordingly.  Don’t know why anyone would want to do this, I have quiet patches and loud ones by design
    I have dozens of presets I've bought and enjoy experimenting with but yesterday, not for the first time, I randomly selected a preset and deafened myself. I'm hoping my slightly muted hearing recovers in time to mix sound at church tomorrow morning.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
    The bypass assign through MIDI now seems to be not working on mine :(

Not got much time to play around with it just now as gigging tonight, but anyone else had any trouble?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    You did notice that it is supposed to give you a failure warning?

Then you click ok....
    I did read the instructions yes. Line 6 always make a big deal of making sure you read the instructions.

When updating my LT, I got an 'update failure' reported in the main dialogue box of the Line 6 Updater. I did a retry but it got stuck in the Line 6 updater window, with nothing happening. Then I looked down at my LT and the screen said to reboot the device. So I turned my LT off and on again. The next time I tried the update it all worked fine.

So, in my case, step 3a note 6 wasn't quite as described in the instructions. 

I had some slight strangeness when updating Helix Native. It was necessary to re-authorise the plug-in, which worked fine for my desktop but I got the message that I'd reached my device limit when updating on my laptop. So I had to de-authorise my laptop first, before I could re-authorise it on the same laptop.

All's well that ends well :)

Turned out to be similar. I reached a screen in the updater that said update failed, please try again. Helix screen had an error message. Clicking ok brought me back to the updater boot screen where it says please select a device to update.

Turned helix off and on and updated again. worked fine.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Anyone got any weirdness with the vintage digital delay?

I get nasty noise on the repeats, but not on any other model.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094

I read someone else mention it - advice was to check headroom parameter which might have been affected in the update.

Although to ape the Facebook group my reply should be "follow the instructions - mines fine!" 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7492

I get that on the previous update if headroom is anything other than max.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    TimmyO said:

I read someone else mention it - advice was to check headroom parameter which might have been affected in the update.

Although to ape the Facebook group my reply should be "follow the instructions - mines fine!" 
    That was me!

Ive never used the global Settings. Never needed to.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    TimmyO said:

That was me!

Ive never used the global Settings. Never needed to.
    Headroom is an effect level parameter. I had this same issue with the bubble vibe on one of the previous updates. Altering headroom solved it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    I'm using an HX FX at release 2.71. I've got the tuner in 'fake strobe' mode and it's good enough that I've stopped using my Polytune. I play a string once and tune up from a lower pitch. Stable and predictable. There's nothing between my guitar and the input of the HX apart from the cable, if that helps... 
    I stopped using my polytune too, but that was because it was shit. :) ;)

Come back Boss TU2 - all is forgiven.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    sgosden said:
    So so so much....

I joined to get some info about the HXFX and compatibility with line level loops etc.

They've almost put me off buying one.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2465
    tekbow said:
    sgosden said:
    So so so much....

I joined to get some info about the HXFX and compatibility with line level loops etc.

It has always been a really useful resource. Unfortunately, like anything, when the crowd gets to a certain size, you inevitably get dicks show up with comments like “RTFM” or “let me google that for you”. 

From what I’ve seen, you’ll get as much info as you need here and I’m usually available to answer any questions you have. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    tekbow said:
    sgosden said:
    So so so much....

It has always been a really useful resource. Unfortunately, like anything, when the crowd gets to a certain size, you inevitably get dicks show up with comments like “RTFM” or “let me google that for you”. 

From what I’ve seen, you’ll get as much info as you need here and I’m usually available to answer any questions you have. 

Dont get me wrong, I got the Info I was looking for, more or less but some of fanaticism is tiring.

I'll take you up on your offer though if it's ok?

I've a Soldano SLO100, and a second amp (particular type, not so important).

The SLO is known for having a hot loop, with even some supposedly line level pieces of gear encountering issues.

I'd be looking at an HXFX purely for time based effects in the loop, no 4CM.

Can the HXFX work with the SLO's loop?

Second question. Other than the loop, I'd like to potentially run the FX in  WDW setup for recording. So, line outs from 2 amps into stereo inputs on the HXFX, the stereo out to 2 channels of a recording interface, orange stereo poweramp and a further 2 speaker cabs.

The FX manual says its true stereo processing (discrete stereo?) , but on the FB group I was told that the stereo reverbs have some crosstalk, or are actually outright summed.

The reason I want the discrete channels is so I can run each amp through one side of the dual detune, then out to delay and reverb. If the reverb has crosstalk or is summed then there's not much point in the earlier elements being discretely processed, to my mind anyway.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28022
    edited July 2019
    tekbow said:

Can the HXFX work with the SLO's loop?
    Yes. The HXFX has the same loops as the Helix, and I've used the LT with my Jet City JCA50H just fine (it has the same loop as the SLO in the same position in the circuit, to my knowledge). You just have to be careful with the level you're sending back to the amp, so as not to push the tone stack too hard, unless that's the effect you're going for.

Incidentally, I used it in 4CM too and it works perfectly.
    <space for hire>
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited July 2019
    I upgraded my Helix floor to 2.80,  I followed the instructions to the letter and the upgrade went like clockwork. 

However I've been reading elsewhere tales from those who had problems.  A number of those are genuine issues - they followed the instructions and despite that something went awry.  However from the descriptions of several others it is palpably obvious that they didn't follow the instructions.  They describe what they did and you think WTF - it doesn't say to do that so why the hell did you do it?  It is clearly a complex upgrade but I thought the instructions were very clear and easy to follow (by contrast with the early days of Helix which other early adopters will no doubt remember was a bit convoluted).  It might just be me but I just don't understand why anybody upgrading a very expensive piece of kit would risk problems by not following the instructions.

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
    siremoon said:
    I upgraded my Helix floor to 2.80,  I followed the instructions to the letter and the upgrade went like clockwork. 

However I've been reading elsewhere tales from those who had problems.  A number of those are genuine issues - they followed the instructions and despite that something went awry.  However from the descriptions of several others it is palpably obvious that they didn't follow the instructions.  They describe what they did and you think WTF - it doesn't say to do that so why the hell did you do it?  It is clearly a complex upgrade but I thought the instructions were very clear and easy to follow (by contrast with the early days of Helix which other early adopters will no doubt remember was a bit convoluted).  It might just be me but I just don't understand why anybody upgrading a very expensive piece of kit would risk problems by not following the instructions.

Yep.

I told my mate about the upgrade on Sat (not sure how he was unaware, but anyway) and he messaged me on Sunday asking how to do it.....? I specifically said "create a backup" before doing anything, which it also tells you at the beginning of the instructions on the Line 6 download page. He messaged me 3 hours later asking how long my upgrade took, as his was still only half-way through. He said he was afraid to unplug/restart in case he'd lost all of his settings/patches. I said it would be fine since he created a backup. He then told me he hadn't bothered doing one! I asked if he'd not read my message properly, or the instructions on the download page. He said he didn't bother reading them at all.

Boils my piss!!

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2511
    tekbow said:
    sgosden said:
    So so so much....

Still not as bad as the Fractal forums ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom