What's the cheapest gigable guitar (let's say for a covers band) that you'd be happy with?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
The challenge is that it can't be modified - you can have it set up, but you can't change hardware or pickups.

I've had bad times with Squire pickups live, as they've had horrible microphonic feedback. I guess you could pot them ... I dunno :D

I've not played it, but this fixed bridge RG looks like a good call at £160. No trem, so half decent tuning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Great question, 
    Whats the max budget? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I had a peavy raptor stratish guitar that cost peanuts and played very nicely.     I've got an lop musicman style cheapy that I've gigged.    Neither of them come close to my expensive guitars but they were perfectly useable.   

Theses days all of the well known brands make decent cheap guitars - kids today are in a way better position with starter models than the olden days.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    Pacifica £40-50
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    mrchi;666582" said:
    Great question, Whats the max budget? 
    One of us is misreading the question, I think.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 639
    new or used?
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The cheapest guitar I've gigged with is an LTD KH-202, which I bought new for around £400. I did try with a Pacifica 112 at rehearsal but the pickups sounded pretty bad, bad enough that I wouldn't gig it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Squire Affinity Tele - the pickups sounded a bit weedy but they didn't give me any problems as such.
    I gigged my Axe catalogue guitar bought s/h for £35 (£84 new for the package) extensively for 4 years in the early nineties as my main guitar, then for 10 years as my backup.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Used to gig with an Ibanez SA160 for a while - cost me £60 used, and that thing played superbly, stayed in tune, and even sounded reasonable before I swapped the pickups out.

Only bought it as a backup for my more expensive things, ended up using it pretty much all the time as it felt great!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    I have gigged a Classic Vibe, but the "No mods" rule, rules it out for me. It played and sounded good, but it fell to bits under heavy use and required a rewire, new jack socket and switch to be usable.

Cheapest thing I can think of is the G&L Tributes which I think are meant to be pretty reasonable.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    My guitars are fairly cheap to begin with !
    I saw Bernie Torme using a Vintage brand strat for part of a gig and Midge Ure gigs with a Vintage brand Lester style.
    The Encore range ( the range down from Vintage) are seen with a lot of very good African guitarists.
    So, err, however much a used Vintage strat goes for would be ok for me.

Oh, couple of years ago my band did a support to a band whose guitarist turned up with a Pro Jr, an old Westone and a carrier bag with leads and a tuner in it. He was pretty good.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    I reckon I'd gig a PRS SE no dramas. Pick one of the really unfashionable ones like the Billy Martin sig & you could get that for sub £200 used.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    £350 is my favorite figure to work with for these things. You can get reasonable value new, and some really really nice stuff used.
    Certainly Mex strats, Tokai Les pauls, nice Ibanez's (my most used guitar is my Ibanez 7, which was £309 new)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Predictable response, but I endorse Vintage because they're genuinely giggable out of the box and amazing for what they cost - on six-string I know that Paul from the Quireboys uses one of the Icon Tele-types live and I've never needed more than my VJ74 on four-string. You'd get change from £250 for either buying new, not much more than half that secondhand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    I'm not a gigable guitarist, but if I had the necessary skills I'd happily use my £350 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Junior.  The pickup's its weakest link but everything else about it is absolutely fine.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    DrBob said:
    I reckon I'd gig a PRS SE no dramas. Pick one of the really unfashionable ones like the Billy Martin sig & you could get that for sub £200 used.

Yup.  I got a Santana SE, the earliest one, which plays brilliantly, for £200.  Really nice action.  I've rehearsed with it a number of times and it feels really well-made, I'm sure it would gig no bother.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    IanSavage;666723" said:
    Predictable response, but I endorse Vintage because they're genuinely giggable out of the box and amazing for what they cost - on six-string I know that Paul from the Quireboys uses one of the Icon Tele-types live and I've never needed more than my VJ74 on four-string. You'd get change from £250 for either buying new, not much more than half that secondhand. 
    My Vintage v400mh acoustic wasnt that great. Sounded nice :) but I'm still working on getting the action nice and low. You coukd have walked under the strings when I bought it, ive removed most of the saddle by sanding and I've got a way to go yet...
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    I gigged with a squier 20th anniversary jazzmaster fairly heavily for about years. Never had any issues with it until I bust the nut and used it as an excuse to buy something nicer. Can't remember what it cost but must've been less than £200
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Hertz32 said:
    IanSavage;666723" said:
    My Vintage v400mh acoustic wasnt that great. Sounded nice :) but I'm still working on getting the action nice and low. You coukd have walked under the strings when I bought it, ive removed most of the saddle by sanding and I've got a way to go yet...
    That's unusual IME, they tend to be pretty much spot-on out of the factory lately; is the nut a touch high?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited June 2015
    Anderson Classic HSS. 
    Circa £2k.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10534
    edited June 2015

How good a guitar is and the price you pay isn't a corresponding formula. There are some many fantastic guitars that aren't worth much because they don't have Fender or Gibson written on em. I have an old Ibanez Roadstar that I paid £150 for that I've done hundreds of gigs with. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom