What's the cheapest gigable guitar (let's say for a covers band) that you'd be happy with?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    SquireJapan said:

They key question here for me is what can you get that's a solid gigging guitar without modifications.
    To be honest, the Squier 2-HB Strat would have been giggable with the stock pickups, but if I remember rightly I changed them because they weren't coil-splittable - and I wanted to fit PRS-style switching using a 5-way Superswitch.

I also recently considered buying a Westfield P-Bass copy I found for £75, selling my Rickenbacker 4001 and pocketing £1425... but I couldn't bring myself to, that Rick is just 'me' like no other bass. The Westfield would have done the same job really though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    If pushed and financially on my knees, I'd take a team build custom shop strat instead of a Masterbuilt. It's times of austerity you know.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    usedtobe;669641" said:
    £70? :-O
    Bought from this very forum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Criteria would be:

Stays in Tune
    Plays Well
    Sounds Good

irrelevant to its price or brand/model...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've played a couple of gigs with a Squier affinity strat. Everyone complains about noisy pickups but to be honest I only ever noticed it between songs, which is what your volume control is for.

I've also played a hell of a lot of gigs with a squier standard P bass special. Both bought for <£100.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I gigged a bog standard RG470 for a few years.. was great... about £400 ish new iirc

later though I did swap out the pups for a pair of PAF Pro's.. which made a significant difference

play every note as if it were your first
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    First gigs I ever played were with an Eko acoustic and a clip-on pickup.
    IIRC we didn't receive too many complaints. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Cheapest guitar I gigged with was a Squier Bullet, £99 brand spanking new.

Plug it into a Marshall, get it a bit dirty and Bob's your mother's brother.

Wouldn't want to rely on it, the jack needs a bit of work, but for the God awful noise we were knocking out it didn't matter a monkeys.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Squire Affinity series guitar, and you could rely on that.