What's the cheapest gigable guitar (let's say for a covers band) that you'd be happy with?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Never played a bad Vintage guitar and wouldn't hesitate to gig with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1768

I gig a Vintage V100 week in week out. Have done for over 3 years now.

If i needed a budget guitar that I had to take out on gigs my first port of call would be vintage.

In fact i'd love a Vintage icon Strat

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've gigged with my Korina Epiphone SG which I paid 140 quid for, and I think I'd use an Epi 335 if it were nicely set up. 
    Otherwise I have always gigged with my Tokai Strat (£150 new, in 1983) and more recently a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    edited June 2015
    guitargeek62;666777" said:
    Assuming new prices only, then I'd go for Squier Affinity Tele, or a hardtail Ibanez. Both should be possible at ~£150.

A Pacifica would work, if they had wider nuts.
    Affinity Teles are Fender's best-kept secret. Superb necks, still have that Tele 'spank', and a top-loader bridge which IMHO beats a string-through hands down.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited June 2015
    cheapest guitar I've gigged with and liked it was my Tokai ES-60

cheapest guitar I gigged with was a white LP copy with 3 pickups, gold bling, and Maya on the headstock. It wasn't horrible, but I stopped using it after I got a real LP.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    miserneil;666865" said:
    I played Sheppards Bush Empire a few months ago with a Marlin Sidewinder Strat...it faired absolutely fine with a proper set up and the audience couldnt have cared less if it was a Marlin, a '54 Fender or a lump of cheese! Food for thought, especially for a boutique snob like me...
    Did you smash it to bits at the end of your set?

Whatever for? It's a perfectly serviceable guitar.

The cheapest guitar I regularly gig with - and best Telecaster type guitar I've owned - is my @GSPBasses Tele. It came with Mojo Pickups as an added bonus and cost about £250 if I recall correctly.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    The cheapest guitar I gig with now is my Heartfield Talon. It has a pointy, Jackson style headstock but is basically an RG550 with Di Marzio's and an OFR. Great guitar and cost me £250 on e-Bay.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    My first ever gig was with a £25 mdf short scale bass, it worked fine and had a really hot pbass pickup, I learned bass on that piece of crap for around 12 months until I upgraded to full scale.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I saw Saxon ( I'm so cool...) and Graham Oliver played either his white SG or his V throughout. For the encore he played a blue SG copy. Odd, I thought. Then he proceeded to smash it up at the end of the song.

I thought both 'well, I could have had that' and 'not smashing up one of your good guitars takes the credibility from this, as an act of passion,out of what you are doing.'
    Same when I saw Feeder around 2002. Grant played his vintage Sunburst Jazzmaster all through, then a Squier Strat for the last song which he trashed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    GuitarMonkey said:

Same when I saw Feeder around 2002. Grant played his vintage Sunburst Jazzmaster all through, then a Squier Strat for the last song which he trashed. 
    Dick.

Shame, I quite like Feeder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Can't believe people are still smashing up their guitars. Has anyone seen someone do that and think: hmm, that's a good idea, it won't make me look a complete twat at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    About 30 years ago I had a mate who looked a bit like Hendrix, that's as far as the similarity went, he certainly couldn't play like him. He was up on stage with a Telecaster which I thought was a bit odd, I couldn't remember him having one. As he got to the end of his set he started to smash it against the wall and immediately there was a scream from a member of the audience "that's my fucking guitar he's smashing up" he screamed repeatedly.
    If you have to smash up guitars try not to do it with borrowed equipment. You'll get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cheapest guitar I've ever gigged with was a USA Strat but that was modded with Texas Specials as well. I've had it since I was 15. Brat.

If consider gigging my sons PRS SE EG but with new tuners and pickups. There's a Hotrail in the neck at the moment. Maybe I could go just with the tuners.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5129
    I gig with Gibson Les Paul and Flying Vz. And also an Ibanez Destroyer 2 that's was £460
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Usually a Feline Lion. But I use a 339 as the cheap backup. Having said that, I've previously gigged entry level Lag guitars with no mods and a few Teles that I've put together.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    70 quid Danelectro 59 (sh)
    Even new they are buttons and far better than they have any right to be at the price
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    £70? :-O
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I think the real problem at the super-cheap end is consistency. That Chinese Squier I had was as good as a USA Double Fat Strat once I'd upgraded the pickups - I would defy anyone to tell the difference blindfolded, possibly even if they were playing it themselves... it really was that good. The only reason I sold it is because I didn't particularly like the colour (a quite cheesy Candy Apple Red) and my singer took a liking to it, so I let her buy it.

But I've played others that weren't as good, one with quite poor fretting which would obviously cost something to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1140
    my main guitar in my Maiden tribute is a Mexican strat i paid £200 for...a few tweaks, some sandpaper and some decent pickups and bam it's ace

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
    They key question here for me is what can you get that's a solid gigging guitar without modifications.

Consistency though, that's a good point ...