Why are Thomann so good?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    So how does it work for amps etc? Are they UK compliant with correct plugs, voltage etc. - do you need to say that you need a UK version?
    I've had things with a euro plug and they include an adapter that clips over it to let you use auk 3 pin socket.   I usually just chop the cable and fit a uk plug.    Might be worth double checking if it's something that uses an adaptor - iirc correctly I've had uk and euro versions and that can be a pain.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

So how does it work for amps etc? Are they UK compliant with correct plugs, voltage etc. - do you need to say that you need a UK version?
    They used to have a policy of selling only the euro version. No biggie to change a mains plug but its a pain having the original manufacturer's wall-wart (which their spiel says you MUST use and not any kind of substitute) with euro pins on it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Did some reviews and earned a £25 voucher. 

Cheers for the heads up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I will tell you why thomann are so good, it's because they want to be. I mean they really do make every effort to be the best, it's that simple isn't it. If more shops made the effort to be helpful and go the extra mile they'd be seen in a much better light even if they couldn't be as cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @underdog - Wisdom well earned! Thomann completely understand this century's view on the retailer's ideal relationship with their customer. Most UK shops are in the last-century, sadly :(
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    They seem to be sending adaptors these days even if you don't ask (they didn't used to), but as John_P said, might be worth double-checking with them to be sure.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10488

Look at the scale and the technology ..... I particularity like the auto loading bit at 2 mins in 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4162
    underdog said:
    I will tell you why thomann are so good, it's because they want to be. I mean they really do make every effort to be the best, it's that simple isn't it. If more shops made the effort to be helpful and go the extra mile they'd be seen in a much better light even if they couldn't be as cheap.

Yes I think that's it. Thomann puts the effort in. So many music shops act like they find customers a nuisance.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Danny1969 said:

Look at the scale and the technology ..... I particularity like the auto loading bit at 2 mins in 

Danny I'm very impressed.  I'd never seen that before.  Incredible stuff.  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10836
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Hi-Fi shops, CD shops, bookstores, music shops, little corner shops. And so on. If we buy local, the local businesses will survive and be there if we need them. We didn't so most of the local shops are gone. It is important to distinguish between value and price. Thomann and others are good but if you give the business to your local shop instead of exporting your cash, everyone wins in the end. It is not worth saving £20 at the expense of the guy on High Street. Is it?
    Absolutely this ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    The amount of times that I've 'borrowed' something for 29 days of them is legion.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    If we keep buying from Germany then we keep giving the German government all the VAT as well   I've bought from Thomann when it made sense to do so, but if the UK alternative is a similar price I will always buy from the UK shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10488

I wouldn't buy a guitar from Thomann, woods far too variable and no two guitar are identical even if they are meant to be. They are good for pro audio though, have brought a lot of Digidesign stuff and the service is impeccable

Used is where it's at now for shops, cheaper prices wider selection and a bigger margin for the retailer.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I've bought two guitars from Thomann now. And they are both excellent and arrived in superb condition - unlike some guitars that I've bought that have been hanging around in shops.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5454
    crunchman;670051" said:
    If we keep buying from Germany then we keep giving the German government all the VAT as well   I've bought from Thomann when it made sense to do so, but if the UK alternative is a similar price I will always buy from the UK shop.
    No, they remit VAT to the UK. You pay at 20%. German VAT is only 19%.

Look up "distance selling" as it relates to VAT but the short version is large volume companies have to charge at local rates and remit to the relevant authorities. So Number 11 is still getting some cash from your purchase at Thomann.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Way I see it is that Thomann are doing a Amazon/Halfords thing..they are huge and have massive buying power so will use this to try and squeeze extra diicounts out of suppliers and will sell products at a loss so that they have market share, once there they can dictate what they want to buy stuff for and what they can sell it for ..good news is that you can buy cheap...bad news is that your local shop will probably stop stocking gear that they can't compete on so you can't try it. They are cheap but ask your local shop for a deal without a trade in or 0% finance and you may find that The deal is about the same...that's the payoff...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Just made my first Thomann order, will report back on their service.
    Danny1969 said:

Do they play that "How It's Made"-style music in the background all the time? That's got to drive the employees crazy...
    edited June 2015
    Way I see it is that Thomann are doing a Amazon/Halfords thing..they are huge and have massive buying power so will use this to try and squeeze extra diicounts out of suppliers and will sell products at a loss so that they have market share, once there they can dictate what they want to buy stuff for and what they can sell it for ..good news is that you can buy cheap...bad news is that your local shop will probably stop stocking gear that they can't compete on so you can't try it. They are cheap but ask your local shop for a deal without a trade in or 0% finance and you may find that The deal is about the same...that's the payoff...
    I have few local shops that cater to the parents buying their kid their first guitar and the like. And even the stores an hour or two away don't really have a great choice of stock. I recently wanted to buy a a Hardwire SC-2 pedal and would have been happy to go try one out. But there wasn't a store a reasonable drive away that had one in stock. So I ordered one from Amazon.

I don't see Amazon or Thomann as an alternative to local shops at all, in many cases they are the only choice. There just aren't stores within short distance of where I live with varied stock. They are fine for strings and things, but for more choice they just don't exist.

As I said earlier in the thread I recently bought an Ibanez guitar from Thomann for £50 less than any UK price I'd seen. There was one of these guitars in a store over an hour from me. But factor in the journey time, fuel costs and the higher price - and the truth that this would hardly be supporting a "local" store - it made much more sense to order from Thomann. 

I envy those of you who have a GuitarGuitar or similar not very far away, but for quite a lot of the population of the UK we don't have much choice. And I don't necessarily think the online stores have killed off all these amazing guitar shops that existed - I remember plenty of shit, low stocked, disinterested guitar shops before the internet came along.

^ Agreed.

A lot of people on here act like we should buy from Andertons, GAK etc. since Thomann is killing off local stores.

Andertons, GAK etc. are probably killing my local stores. :))