YOUR SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT IN ALL MUSIC

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
Suggestions? I'm not talking about a verse, a chorus, not even a riff. The single greatest moment in all recorded music. Let's call a moment two seconds. We need artist, work, number of seconds in etc. 

I will start by stating as an unassailable fact that the single greatest moment in all recorded music occurs at 3.12 in Rush's Limelight when Lifeson sustains the high note at the end of the solo and then comes in underneath with that fantastic haunting riff.

Go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lateralus by Tool, when the pitchshifted bass drops at 07:21
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33992
    Tool for me too.
    There is a massive snare crack about 3/4 the way through "The Grudge"- they only do it once- and it has loads of cavernous reverb.
    I nicked that idea and many of my productions have a single massive snare crack in them as a form of homage.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73102
    The key change at the end of the middle eight in The Pretenders 'Back On The Chain Gang', 2'36"-2'38".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited October 2013

Thom Yorke's vocal as he sings ... "It wears ...." on Fake Plastic Trees at the 2min 30s mark ...

just a haunting phrase and a perfect transition note to the next phase of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJP0BwWB5Q

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    edited October 2013
    JohnPerry said:
    Suggestions? I'm not talking about a verse, a chorus, not even a riff. The single greatest moment in all recorded music. Let's call a moment two seconds. We need artist, work, number of seconds in etc. 

I will start by stating as an unassailable fact that the single greatest moment in all recorded music occurs at 3.12 in Rush's Limelight when Lifeson sustains the high note at the end of the solo and then comes in underneath with that fantastic haunting riff.

Go.

Ah, I know that bit and he did that live when I saw them on the moving Pictures tour (pressed a pedal, saved the note, solo'd etc.)

Off the top of my head, there are some moments in the solos and fills from "Hotel California" but the pinched harmonic fills at 3.06 and 3.19 are rather sweet!

Whitesnake's "Still of the night" - at the end of John Sykes' solo where he sustains that note at 4.31 and then suddenly bends it up.

I love the off the wall solo by EVH on "One foot out the door" from Fair Warning, in particular the descending bit at 1.28 but there's loads in there. Can I have the tapped beginning bit of "Mean Streets"?? 1-21 secs

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    Climax of Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto, right at the very top of the climax when the trumpets come out in unison for 6 notes. Wait I'll find it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited October 2013
    The most incredible musical event ever for me I think is the climax of Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto, right at the very top of the climax when the trumpets come out in unison. Wait I'll find it. Ok. It's at 41:12, but you really need to listen from 40:30 to get the full effect. Captivating isn't it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Sooooo many to choose but I'll post the first one that came to mind when I read this thread. 

The Flaming lips - My Cosmic Autumn rebellion 

Not my fav FL songs by any stretch but listen to the instrumental section from about 2:20 and wait for the section starting 2:52 - where the hell does that come from, an absolute cacophony of distortion and out of tune-ness before subsiding back into the pleasant song, genius.

Warning, does not suffer crappy phone/laptop speakers gladly.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I love the intro solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0FMfsT11pdA

until roughly 1 min in.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I truly believe there is no such thing in recorded music, the greatest moments only occur when music is live. Repeatable greatest moments become fatigued with repetition.

If pushed would chose two. The 1812 Overture when the cannons come in, and from non classical Jan Ackerman playing Sylvia on Live at the Rainbow, the bit where he hits the most horrendous bum note.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited October 2013
    For me it's Deep Purple's live performance in Birmingham in 1993 where there's a bit of show casing by Blackmore and Lord and at 1:39 Ian Gillan steps it up a tone and starts "You're lazy, you just stay in bed, you're lazy, you just stay in bed etc etc"

• This is one of those threads where I will post something then take the dogs for a walk and stand in the middle of the common slapping myself repeatedly in the face as I remember 101 other moment I love even more.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Facepalming yourself.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It will be hard choosing.....but Yes.

Ah.........
    No.
    With context.....More than 2 seconds.
    Without Context......utterly meaningless.

• As it's almost impossible to pick a favourite, I 'll give 2, from different ends of the Spectrum of my taste.

First, the way this soars into the intro, first few seconds.

and then this, when the solo run climaxes and the big Keyboard chord comes in at 40 seconds in.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I love this whole song. From the haunting intro, the harmony riffs, the leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_BFXCgm5270

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    edited October 2013
    The outro to RHCP's 'Sir Psycho Sexy'.

And to be more precise, Pearl Jam's 'Evacuation', 1:46 to 2:07.

The old mod in me says The Jam's 'Dreamtime', 2:29 to 3:20. Lastly, Secret Affair's 'I could be you', 1:27 to 1:37.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Nice one Mike.

For the moment, I'm plumping for Sabbath's "War Pigs", at about 30 seconds in, when the air-raid siren starts sounding. Makes me shiver, cos I can remember them still being tested on occasion as a little kid, and we always wondered if it was for real.

There's also two from the late Ronnie James Dio: One on 'Country Girl', and the other from Rainbow on Stage.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967

Nice one Mike.

For the moment, I'm plumping for Sabbath's "War Pigs", at about 30 seconds in, when the air-raid siren starts sounding. Makes me shiver, cos I can remember them still being tested on occasion as a little kid, and we always wondered if it was for real.

There's also two from the late Ronnie James Dio: One on 'Country Girl', and the other from Rainbow on Stage.

I posted a cover of it on the music of the moment thread t'other day funnily enough.....
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    dont have one.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom