What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    edited July 2015
    Les Paul - Suhr Aldrich set.. Charvels - Dimarzio AT-1 & Air Norton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31665
    My days of endless humbucker swaps in search of those elusive rich harmonics are long gone - either the guitar can do it or it can't IME, these days I just swap pickups to fine-tune their relative outputs.

I'm aware of all the differences in magnet types and winding techniques and have been through most of them, but usually find the tonal sweet spot so narrow it's rarely noticeable in a mix and not worth the 200 quid a time it takes to chase it.

Single coil pickups are a different matter, there's so much more character inherent in the pickup itself that you can end up with something which sounds like an entirely different guitar IMO.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Fortheloveofguitar;693883" said:
    Suhr Doug Aldrich Bridge
    Gibson 57' Neck
    57 neck is my favourite too, seems to sound great in most Gibson style guitars. Bridge I'm not sure. It really depends on the guitar and tuning. I like lower output pickups in standard tuning, again I like Gibson pickups (BB3 sounds ace in my Les Paul but I've heard it sound harsh in others) 57+ has a nice grain to it. In lower tunings I really like the EMG 81, but only for clean clean and high gain, passives do nicer middle ground tones because they've got more treble going on. I have the JH and 57/66 sets which are more versatile, but I still rate the 81 for a drop tuned high gain tone as it is tighter than both of those.

EMG 81 is the V30 of the pickup world, in that people call it bright but really it doesn't have much treble, it just has cutting upper mids and not too much low end. One of those pickups where it either works or it doesn't, right now it is working well for me.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    Dimarzio air norton in both positions. Sounds ace to my ears
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Had a set of Bare Knuckle Mules in a 1980 Gibson ES-335 Pro that I used to have.

They sounded perfect in that guitar.
    To this day, I've never played a guitar that sounded as good as that 335.

I've tried Mules in solid bodies since, and they didn't blow me away as much.
    Maybe they just suit semi hollows more..?

But ye, if I ever decided to take the semi hollow route again, then I'd stick some Mules in there without thinking twice.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    I've got a LP Classic and swapped out the oe's for Lollars. I'm happy with the results.