Chapman Guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Haha neither did wulf, plus I quite like Chapman guitars, it seems pretty hard to make a bad guitar these days, I grew up with a b and m classical and a horrific columbus dred, if any brands need lolling it's them :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    In all seriousness I don't get the appeal of the Chapman guitars - they aint cheap or classy and apart from the marmite design, nothing about them is remarkable. Triumph of a Youtube marketing strategy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    mrchi said:
    Haha neither did wulf, plus I quite like Chapman guitars, it seems pretty hard to make a bad guitar these days, I grew up with a b and m classical and a horrific columbus dred, if any brands need lolling it's them :-D
    It wasn't me!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    The newer stuff looks better put together I think. Personally speaking I can't stand the look of a reverse Tele headstock. I've not tried one, but I imagine they are decent enough though. If a cheap one was in grasp I wouldn't poo poo it, just because it's a chapman. To me I've always thought of the company on the same price range wise as a Yamaha (£400-600 new, then half that or a bit more second hand).
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited July 2015
    I was watching a vid recently of an American band and one of the guitarists was playing a Chapman. Buggered if I can remember who it was though as I completely forgot about it at the time. That's helpful isn't it.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Hertz32;695763" said:
    "Oooh, a chapman thread. Better post about how someone will make a point about him as a person, that way I can say I told you so and laugh about it when people get pissed off!"

Honestly. If the thread isnt about Rob. Don't fucking mention him. Even to say he's marmite.

Back on topic:
    I like the guitars, the upside down headstock is a bit love it/hate it and the ML-7S I saw had a horrid mismatched 2 piece body. Play one in person is my advice, or buy used.
    You ok buddy?
    Where's drewski when u need him?
    U fuckin nobody's !!!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    Naff as fuck, IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Hertz32 said:
    Don't fucking mention him. 
    Rob Chapman.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rob Chapman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1436
    edited July 2015
    Never played his guitars so can't help there, sorry.

I am however more than happy to discuss Rob Chapman's bandana/dreadlocks combo if you like?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I was in Andertons this weekend and they had the range on the wall.

They do look very well made guitars and the ML-2 looks properly good (to me). Maybe I should go back and try one?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26838
    For what it's worth...I played a few ML1s from the first run, and they were horrible. Overweight, chunky necks, nasty pickups and a neck joint that pretty much got in the way from the 15th fret upwards. Then I played Rob's production-model ML2, and it was vastly better - much nicer neck profile, comfortable to play all up the neck and sounded much better. I suspect that the playability was down to who designed it - I could definitely tell where it came from.

My thoughts at the time were, "This feels like it can easily compete with £500 - £600 guitars". At the time, that meant it was punching significantly above its weight; now, with the new pricing and ever-increasing range with tiny changes, I'm not so convinced of the value-for-money aspect.

I also played an ML2 which popped up in my local shop second-hand last year, and it was significantly less good. The fretboard was coming off the neck in a couple of places, frets were lifting, the inlays were badly finished, the switch was blatantly knackered and the pots were scratchy; that guitar can't have been more than two or three years old. I can't draw conclusions from a single guitar, but it would certainly make me think twice.
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I prefer Vegemite to Marmite.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I'm indifferent to both
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    His name is Robert Chapman
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306