Who's your favourite Guitar and Amp Vendor?

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited July 2015 in Guitar
Just curious as to who we all rate as our favourite dealers?

We have a 'recommended Techs' thread, so I figure this could be a useful resource too?

It'd be good to keep it positive and stop the thread descending into a slag-off session for that reason, but who do you rate and why?

Probably worth stating any affiliations too with that in mind?

Personally, I've had positive experiences with Guitar Guitar in Epsom - you'd think they'd have a 'stack 'em high and ship 'em out' approach, but they've always been pretty cool with me - let me try stuff and walk away rather than go with the hard sell. That's not always been the case with some others (sticking to my own rules, I won't name names)

I've no affiliation to them other than geography

Any thoughts?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    If I can go to a shop then:
    UK: Andertons
    Switzerland: Gitarrenoase in Baden (boutique store of the highest order...)

Online, Thomann
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Peach theyve always been really nice to me and easy to deal with, and they dont pull a face when i show up in tatty ripped jeans and an ill fitting t shirt asking to play expensive kit.
    They're really honest there and don't tend to up-sell plus they have some of the best equipment in the country, in fact most of my rig has come from there.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited July 2015
    Local - PMT Manchester. Good service and plenty of standard items in stock. Often prices end up the same as online if not very close and I value being able to nip in and try something before I buy it.

National - Coda. Very good after sales, one of the companies that has always sorted issues promptly and professionally. Good range of stock that includes some harder to find brands.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Coda.

I dare not take credit cards in there.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10061
    SunDevil said:
    Personally, I've had positive experiences with Guitar Guitar in Epsom - you'd think they'd have a 'stack 'em high and ship 'em out' approach, but they've always been pretty cool with me - let me try stuff and walk away rather than go with the hard sell.

^This. Epsom GuitarGuitar is my nearest decent-sized guitar emporium and they've always been friendly, knowledgable, and happy to let me try stuff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1549
    Coda Music every time, even though they're over 400 miles away. Knowledgeable, friendly, genuinely helpful, great second hand selection at very fair prices, easy to deal with, and the guitars are really well set up.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    PMT Cambridge.

Without a doubt the best service i've ever had from real players who are real people and treat me like royalty every time i ring up or go in there.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Gassage
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12654
    PMT in Manchester are good, great long term non-pushy staff
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4487

Another one for Coda, although it's a dangerous place to go. Far too much nice kit.

Equally another for vote for Guitar Guitar in Epsom. Always been friendly and helpful.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    I'm going to say Coda also. I'm having a nightmare returning a guitar at the moment (UPS lost it, then found it) and Coda have been most understanding and helpful.

Interparcel have not
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4317
    Coda are great, cool stock and Doug is a top fella.

I have dealt with Fellowship of Acoustics in the Netherlands a lot over years, for both acoustics and electrics. Actually lost count of how many, but could be 40 or 50 guitars... Rudi and the rest of his team are all really great people. Have had zero issues dealing with them in all that time, and I have been a fussy bastard at times, changing my mind about guitars etc. They genuinely seem to want to ensure that you get a guitar you are happy with though, and they have dealt with my vacillations happily, not begrudgingly. There is even a 30 day return policy!
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
    Nothing but good things to say about Merchant City Music in Glasgow. Perhaps not the most exotic stock but everyone of them is happy to chat, let you try anything and never put on the hard sell.
    More locally the totally traditional Magnum Sound in Wishaw is a proper do it all music shop, a little bit of everything, nothing fancy and really helpfull guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2550
    Coda, by a country mile for me.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    No good local shops here in Belfast so online only for me - Thomann and Guitar Guitar.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5122
    Used to be Andertons, but I think their service has gone downhill lately. Am currently without a regular store!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31568
    A few:

CCGX
    CHandlers
    CODA
    The Little Guitar Shop

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Red Dog Music in Edinburgh for me. The staff are all helpful and not pushy plus there's a good price match policy too.
  • DanDan Frets: 453
    Gassage said:

The Little Guitar Shop
    Still need to check this one out

I quite like Guitar Guitar Brum. Always been pleasant and accommodating.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

if we're not including custom shops, guitar would have to be Ibanez [although the latest batch of lefties look shite if you don't want a hard tail]

amps would have to be Fractal cos you get all the amps.. lmao

if I had a real amp it'd have to be a Diezel Herbert or a Diezel VH4

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom