The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    Just watched that one, very good. I don't normally take an interest in ruggers but I did enjoy it. Well done Ireland 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    VimFuego said:
    pigface said:
    Philly_Q said:
    VimFuego said:
    interesting match, South Africa A are defending really well, but I think Ireland should sneak it.
    I think they should, with the help of those well-known kissed-the-Blarney-Stone Irishmen Jamison Gibson-Park and Bundee Aki.
    And James Lowe.
    the South Sea Irelanders I like to call them.
    Heh ... that's a goodie  =). I will (try to) remember that ...
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4166
    What an opening by France, hell of a stadium. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Eng looking shaky, and reverting to aimless box kicks. 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    TJT1979 said:
    Eng looking shaky, and reverting to aimless box kicks. 
    I don't like those either. Both Scotland and Ireland did them far too much for my liking today. Why give the ball away? I hate that and I bet the forwards do too. I wondered at one stage whether Gibson-Park knew how to pass the ball at all.
    That try on half-time was crucial for Eng. We started running the ball more in the last 20 mins. 

It looks slippery as hell out there; we're seeing loads of handling errors. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    These last few games are going to give England loads of conference. It’s great rugby when if comes off. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    Fun game! 

Arrrrrgggg!! Eng lost that with the stupid lineout throw right over the top. 

Good match and Eng could easily have won. Fair play to France... they took their chances. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
    That was a great game. Soft penalty at the end and bought back the hard feelings of the SA in the WC :( Some good talent coming through though!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Had a long catch up with France’s best player this season- and yes, I think he’s as hot as hell!!!

Difference between the two sides today.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Next years tournament is going to be v interesting. 

Ireland started like a train but really trailed off the last couple of games. We still won it mind you, but a number of players look tired and in need of a break. Getting Crowley bedded in was important, and that’s done now. Farrell will take a Lions sabbatical, some players will retire. Theres a period of disruption coming. 

Remember when Scotland couldn’t score tries? Then they figured that out but had a porous defence? They have some real grit now, some proper battlers in the pack. They made life very difficult for Ireland yesterday. I honestly saw Scotland winning that at half time. I do think Townsend has had enough time now. They need a spark in the coaching staff and a mental relaunch. 

I’d say Borthwick is quietly pretty pleased with the tournament. That Scotland game was the killer. So many handling errors. But otherwise I reckon he’s getting a decent idea of what his best team is. Some young lads have stepped up and shown they well capable at this level. Some class tries were score yesterday and how the endgame was managed v Ireland was great. Next year they start the 6Ns in Dublin. Remember 2019???….

See Gatland offered his resignation in the changing room yesterday? I dunno. As far as I can tell 10 is an issue. 9 too. You’d have to think that Wales would be further up the table if Biggar or Anscome was around. Isn't Anscome back in the picture next year? Wales had leaders everywhere for years. Jenkins, Jones, Warbs, Biggar, Davis, Halfpenny. Gatlands USP is getting players to go to another level in a red shirt. Build a team around Refel, Jenkins and Winnett? If anyone can….

France? Je n'en ai aucune putain d'idée. But the U20s seem nearly  as fragile as the senior squad. The saffers really did a number on that rugby nation……

Seems unfair that with 2 wins and a draw Italy are still just one off the bottom of the table. They have their own mental issues I think. Nilled in Dublin looking like the Italy of old, and were shocking in a lot of that France game. But Benetton are doing great in the URC, and there was enough in the defeat to England, and the wins in Wales and against Scotland to suggest that for the next while at least Wales might be the ones propping up the table. 

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4166
    I can really only speak for Wales but. England, Ireland and France have so many options. Player numbers, and finances to have bigger squads. Even Italy has more than twice the number of registered players Wales or Scotland has. Once any team harness all those player numbers with right coach then things can only get better. 
    Wales over last 15 years or so have punched above their weight. Biggest issue we have is squad depth of quality players. I can’t remember last time Wales had a competitive 23, 15 yes but soon as bench is emptied the standard is well down. 
    Yesterday our front row replacements had a total of 41 minutes of international experience between them. 
    Put simplyWales do not have the numbers to compete with the big boys, sure we will have the odd good year but we cannot afford the 25 cap rule. Yes we will have guys back from injuries later this year like leaders Jac Morgan, Dewi Lake, power from Faletau and Christ Shiunza, and I’m still not understanding how our most powerful scrummagers Carre and Francis were not there. 
    I know Anscombe has been injured, but he was leaving for Japan, but will now play for Gloucester so possibly he will be available but also  Jarrod Evans would be available. 
    If we had gone to two regions at beginning as in East and West, with fully funded Welsh squad I believe it would be different now. Back in 70s and 80s there was a identityto be exploited that Welsh Fans could have got behind and not at the expense of their fave clubs. 
    Success brings in money, but success we have had when Gatland was first here was not invested in the game. 
    Personally I would have used England and France the way SA and NZ do, a club where our players are coached and play at a decent standard and we have them for Internationals. Keeps our costs down and we spend more resources on improving player and coaching depth. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Traaaa-daaaa!  

The official @eToro and @PlanetRugby Team of the Six Nations selected by our pundit panel.

Ire- 4
    It- 4
    Eng-2
    Sco-1
    Fra-4 

With our Player of the Tournament deservedly going to the immense #azzurri centre @nachobrex

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Traaaa-daaaa!  

The official @eToro and @PlanetRugby Team of the Six Nations selected by our pundit panel.

Ire- 4
    It- 4
    Eng-2
    Sco-1
    Fra-4 

With our Player of the Tournament deservedly going to the immense #azzurri centre @nachobrex
    Where is it? Sorry if I'm missing something!?
    Just out of interest, how many preferred the old scoring, without bonus points? I definitely did. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3737
    TJT1979 said:
    Just out of interest, how many preferred the old scoring, without bonus points? I definitely did. 
    I like the try bonus point as I feel it encourages a more exciting game rather than relying on penalties to run up the scoreboard. Less convinced on the losing bonus point. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    TJT1979 said:
    I quite like it as in a small tournament it makes every game meaningful to some extent or other.

However it does throw up anomalies like Italy's table position being below Scotland's despite better match results. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    p90fool said:
    TJT1979 said:
    I quite like it as in a small tournament it makes every game meaningful to some extent or other.

However it does throw up anomalies like Italy's table position being below Scotland's despite better match results. 

Might be worth changing the scoring to 6 points for a win and 3 points for a draw.  That way the bonus points would still differentiate between sides with the same number of wins, but a team with more wins would finish higher.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    As a Wasps supporter that's it for me until maybe the play-off semis. I just can't get it excited about club rugby any more.

Logically I should now follow Harlequins as we both came from Hampstead FC but I just couldn't bring myself to contemplate it beyond an initial thought. 

There's all sorts of phoenix chatter going on about how we, Irish and Worcester might come back to the Championship, Prem 2 or the URC but it would be Wasps in name only.