Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do we have enough people interested in synth to have a synth section?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Guitarse said:
    I like synths and play a bit, but this is the Fretboard, a guitar forum (and a damn fine one at that) and that's how it should stay. There are synth forums out there too if it's synths you want.
    :)
    Are there though?

I am not aware of a synth site comparable to this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe Steedy will reapear. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Guitarse said:
    I like synths and play a bit, but this is the Fretboard, a guitar forum (and a damn fine one at that) and that's how it should stay. There are synth forums out there too if it's synths you want.
    :)
    Are there though?

I am not aware of a synth site comparable to this one.
    Loads mate. KvR, Muff Wiggler, synthtopia,and more...
  • Phil_aka_Pip;770424" said:
    Maybe a keyboard section - open to piano/organ/synth/why would be a little broader and suit  more people. I play keys from time to time, and it's only my "third" instrument behind bass, even though I physically can't hack playing bass that much these days, I guess I'm saying that to indicate the lower level of competence I've achieved at it.

I have a Yamaha DJX, which has some nice sounds in if if you're prepared to dig through the menus. Unfortunately it forgets everything when the power is switched off and reverts to silly beep beep noises and bad drum beats that nobody's ever going to use when you switch it back on again. Is there another model which (a) doesn't forget its patches (b) has useable sounds minus the shit, which would be more giggable?

By useable sounds I mean piano, Hammond simulation, pipe organ, flutes, strings

EDIT This has got a lot of DJX sounds on it. There is also a small amount of hand percussion, plus recorder & guitars. IIRC the rest is the DJX though

There are quite a few steps up from DJX. You could look at a Nord Electro, or Roland digi piano if you wants string etc.
  • Thanks @Winny_Pooh - new Nords are beyond my finances. s/h Yamahas on Ebay might not be. Am I right in thinking the higher the model number the better instrument it is?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @Phil_aka_Pip .. liked the track .. a hint of Camel which is always nice to hear.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fretwired You are too kind, Sir! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited September 2015
    @phil_aka_pip, hard to say, I'm not current on their keyboards.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I love synths. In my time I have had a minimoog and a Jorge poly six, plus various mono synths like the Rolland sh101 and umpteen drum machines

My favourite synth has to be Alchemy. I also use all the native instruments stuff, awesome
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I'd be happy to have a synth section.

I've owned quite a few and (I suspect like quite a few people on this forum) whilst not being a skilled keyboard player, I do use them extensively to provide backings / harmonies / accompaniments / etc. to my guitar playing, even if it's just a few simple pad chords.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Definitely up for it! At the moment, I'm making more music with synths than I am with guitars. I suppose it's easier to do on your own.

At the moment I have an ARP Omni II, ARP Odyssey Mk I, Cheetah MS6, Emu Proteus 2000, Roland Jupiter 6 and a Yamaha CS60.
    I used to have a Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine, Korg MS 10, Moog Prodigy, Roland D50 (actually two, at different times), an SH09 and an SH 101. Of all those, I probably miss the SH 101 most of all. It's all but impossible to make it sound bad!

I also had the good fortune to look after a good many synths for friends who didn't have room for them, including a couple of ARP Odysseys (Mk II and Mk III), ARP Avatar, Korg MS20, Minimoog D, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Roland SH5 (what a beauty!) SCi Pro One and Yamaha CS40M. As you might imagine, I rarely left the house!

I'm also using quite a few software synths, as I just don't have the room for all the hardware ones. The ones I use most of all are the GForce ones, particularly Oddity 2, Vintage String Machine and MTron Pro. I do want the TAL Bassline 101 though.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone tried the triple play?
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    @lasermonkey that's quite a collection puts mine to shame, I have been tempted with a trax, rotasynth they look really interesting, or if I can find one for the right price a synare, they look fantastic.. But really hard to come by.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Anyone tried the triple play?
    No but looks really interesting!