Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drews Recording Thread

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Havent got round to the other vids butanother question popped into my head today....how similar is the processing on every track? Did you basically use the same chain, especially on the drums to give the album more consistency?

Also what part do you start with when mixing, I tend to mix from the beginning but I think that's a really bad habit and I would be better off mixing from the loudest part in the track. Wondering how you approached it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Havent got round to the other vids butanother question popped into my head today....how totes similar is the processing on every track?
    Fucking hipsters and their mash-up words.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Havent got round to the other vids butanother question popped into my head today....how similar is the processing on every track? Did you basically use the same chain, especially on the drums to give the album more consistency?
    Same chains for every track. I essentially saved out the chains and applied them to the tracks via the Studio One preset system.

Also what part do you start with when mixing, I tend to mix from the beginning but I think that's a really bad habit and I would be better off mixing from the loudest part in the track. Wondering how you approached it.
    I usually would start at the point where the drums properly kick in. Might be a verse, might be a chorus... who knows. But it'd be the point where each instrument is doing it's most solid thing in the song - not necessarily the loudest.
  • Well I just finished watching this video series.

Basically I learned a few key things.

1.  Sound Toys should be giving you commission on echo boy sales.

2.  There really is no substitute for experience, ears and time investment (both in individuals learning to play, and the production/engineering people knowing how to get results for recording).  Doing that much prep work and automation takes a lot.  The result is really top notch.  It does sound professional.

3.  I think the main thing I'm going to try after this is master channel automation.  It seems obvious, but I've only ever done it for fade outs.  If someone has asked for a section to be louder/quieter I've usually automated busses, but that is daft when if nothing else changes the master channel would work too.

Really interesting to hear certain things in isolation, especially with bass guitar, and the two main rhythm guitar tones.  Everything is on a per case basis with music, but in general we discuss/learn on forum by words on a screen, which just tell you something you might do.  Without context, advice can be a lot less useful than it might seem.

Words plus and audio example marries up something you might do, with an example what the person was looking to achieve in a certain scenario, and the result.  I think that was really clear and helpful throughout.

I really enjoyed all the videos.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.
    Is anyone interested in another video series, and if so, any other tracks? Was thinking about perhaps doing Orogenic.
  • If he's ok with it, it might be interesting to see one for the stuff you're mixing/mixed for @digitalscream to see how you'd approach something in a different style.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    That's a fair shout, see the comparison.
  • Steady on, fellas. We haven't finished recording yet :P
    <space for hire>
    If he's ok with it, it might be interesting to see one for the stuff you're mixing/mixed for @digitalscream to see how you'd approach something in a different style.

Actually, if Lee is cool with that, I'd be well up for it!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Enjoying the videos @Drew_fx ... thanks for creating and sharing.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_fx said:
    If he's ok with it, it might be interesting to see one for the stuff you're mixing/mixed for @digitalscream to see how you'd approach something in a different style.

Out of interest when you were mixing Digi's stuff were you using your ears or your eyes?  Were to taking in the music or just perving on his pecks?  I believe this information is currently relevant.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Like the use of automation in vid one .. that mixer has an insane number of tracks. I must make better use of Cubase's automation features.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_fx said:

Yep, I'm cool with that :)
    <space for hire>
    Groovy. Will bear it in mind for the new stuff when I mix then.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Just got round to watching these, very nice Drew. I think we're quite different musically (though I do like what you do a lot!) so it was interesting while listening to see and hear so many things that sounded familiar from my own thought processes - everything from the 2xSM57 cab miking to removing cab resonances to some of the plugin choices (the IK Neve 73 preamp saturation is all over the guitars in my band's last album!). I even noticed on the volume automation of those clean guitars in the intro that you were bringing the fader up a little after each phrase to hold the sustain in the mix - a kind of manual compression and something I do myself quite a bit.

Very good!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Cirrus said:
     a kind of manual compression and something I do myself quite a bit.
    Doing it is one thing; admitting to it on a public forum, another. ;)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I lol'd but I don't think I get it.  :(|)

So innocent.