The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Jaycee said:
    That must be so nice.
    It really was.

Headed to Lymington, back roads to Beaulieu, onto Brockenhurst and then back home. I'm very luck with where I live. 

Met some friendly Donkeys along the way which is always nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    edited April 18
    After much deliberation I've purchased a set of Hunt 40 Carbons. They are ridiculously light.... hopefully will have installed them tubeless with Conti GP5000 30mm by the weekend, which is promising finer weather. Annoyingly I've had to order a tool to remove and install the disk brakes, so will need to wait for it to arrive. 

Nice choice, I've had no problems with my Hunt 40's in the 12 or so months so far I'd had them. Heard a few things about keeping an eye out on where the eyelets meet the spokes but I think they're outlier issues. I did wimp out and have my LBS fit them with the GP500's, but I also had a new 11-34 cassette and Ultegra rotors fitted so let them have the hassle (and lose the skin, lol)
    pt22 said:

I also unclip towards the frame with my heel, but that's just how my body naturally prefers it and it causes marks on the inside heel of my shoes so I'm not recommending it, its just how it works best for me. 

@pt22 I also did the unclip inwards thing, until I noticed the marks on my shoes was caused by them hitting against the quite flimsy looking seat stays of my carbon frame! So I retrained my brain and feet. Apparently not an issue with Speedplay system, but deffo with Shimano.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited April 18
    Put a new set of handlebars on my Synapse at the weekend. Replaced the generic Cannondale C3 bars (42cm) with a set of 38cm Easton bars. I've got a 38cm shoulder width so these suit me way better, was always getting shoulder fatigue with the 42's. These feel more comfortable already, probably need a tweak or two to get my position right, but initial impressions are promising.

As well as being about 75 grams lighter (better grade aluminium, tapered profile and obviously smaller), my profile is now also smaller and ergo a bit more areo.

It's not a massive gain, but I reckon I'm "a little bit quicker" with the new bars. Not exactly Ineos/Dan Bigham wind tunnel science data, however my commute heading past the new Everton stadium on the Dock Road in Liverpool certainly seems easier in the always present head/cross winds.

Main thing is that they're a better fit for me, and a little more comfort is always a good thing. Marginal gains aren't always just for the super-fit pros.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    Put a new set of handlebars on my Synapse at the weekend. Replaced the generic Cannondale C3 bars (42cm) with a set of 38cm Easton bars. I've got a 38cm shoulder width so these suit me way better, was always getting shoulder fatigue with the 42's. These feel more comfortable already, probably need a tweak or two to get my position right, but initial impressions are promising.

I swapped a set years ago and my shoulder discomfort stopped with in weeks, I only get 42cm ones now.

Thing with bikes is even a few mil' can make a big difference so it is worth trying thins out to make the ride more enjhoyable.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    gubble said:
    Jaycee said:
    That must be so nice.
    It really was.

Headed to Lymington, back roads to Beaulieu, onto Brockenhurst and then back home. I'm very luck with where I live. 

Met some friendly Donkeys along the way which is always nice.
    There used to be (and maybe still is?) a bike hire place in the centre of Brockenhurst that my Dad and I would hire bikes from back in the days before we had our own mountain bikes (probably mid 90s) - so I know all those places round there really well! My Dad (who lives in Bournemouth) still regularly takes his bike out onto the forest gravel tracks as its such a beautiful area to ride around. 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited April 20
    I've managed to install the tubeless Conti GP5000's to the Hunt wheels without too much trouble. 
    I've finally got the cassette off the old wheels, with a lot of force!

The disc rotors are giving me some confusion though. On my bike, the stock wheels have stock giant disc rotors attached to the wheel with 6 bolts. The Hunt Wheels use a centre locking mechanism to fit the rotors. I understand that I need an adapter to install the 6 bolt rotors to the new wheels.

It's made me think; do people usually transfer disc rotors to new wheels? Or buy new ones? Which would mean it's much easier to swap and use the old wheels, eg for winter use. Perhaps a new cassette would also make this easier, Just wondering what's the best thing to do here. It's a right faff to transfer the rotors. 

• m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    6 Bolt was the standard disc mount for years (or rotor in bicycle speak - thank the americans for that!), but Shimano introduced Centrelock a good few years ago.

You can get adapters, with the official Shimano ones not being that expensive - Shimano Disc (SM-RTAD05) Rotor Centre-lock hub to 6-Bolt Adaptor | Merlin Cycles

Or you can get new centrelock brake discs, depending on how much money you want to spend. Low end Shimano ones aren't that expensive, but a quick search shows not many places have the smaller sizes in stock.

The issue with swapping wheels with different discs, is the pads and discs will wear differently. So each time you swap wheels, they'd likely need a bit time for the brakes to bed in again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited April 20
    Thanks @m_c ;;;; . I'm in two minds about trying to do it myself or taking it to a bike shop to fit the rotors. 

These are mountain bike ones but apparently can be used on road bikes and seem to be at a good price

Shimano XT MT800 Ice-Tec Centrelock Rotor | Merlin Cycles
    edited April 20
    110 miles this week commuting and Zwifting, only 5 more weeks to go to RideLondon! Need to get more outside rides done, but the weather in the NorthWest has been shocking all year so far.

Did a 42 mile Z3-4 interval session on Zwift after work today (ouchies!). 2 and a bit hours on a turbo is something the Spanish Inquisition must have inspired, haha.

Thanks @m_c ;;;;;; . I'm in two minds about trying to do it myself or taking it to a bike shop to fit the rotors. 

These are mountain bike ones but apparently can be used on road bikes and seem to be at a good price

@MagicPigDetective Bear in mind that there's also different size rotors. My Cinelli has a 140mm rear rotor, 160mm front, but my Cannondale has 160mm front and back. If I wanted to put my Hunts on the 'Dale I either need to swap rotors or remove the adaptor from the rear caliper on the 'Dale to accept the 140mm rotor.

Both options are way too much faff so I just leave the carbon wheels on the Cinelli and live with slightly heavier wheels on the Synapse. And as @m_c said the different wear on pads and rotors makes it pretty much not a realistic option to switch back and forth reliably.

I "might" switch them for London, but I'll get my LBS to do it if so. They have the right tools for the job and I wouldn't have to worry about fooking it up. I do most of my own maintenance but sometimes it's better to leave it to the guys who do these jobs day in and out.

I've only ridden a bike once since Easter :/

Picked up a cold Easter weekend, but made the most of the sunny afternoon the week after to just spin the legs for a few km and deal with a couple windblown trees on a couple footpaths I occasionally ride if I want a gentle spin.
    Was working at my first event of the year last weekend, and was on backshift last week and couldn't bring myself to face the wetness for a morning spin.

And then today, which I'm sure was one of the best days of the year so far, I spent trailbuilding as I've agreed to prepare some trails for some events later this year :/

I did however turn this-

In to this-

Then did a bit shovelling ready for the next pipe installation-

And yes, it did smell as bad as it looks. You can't beat the smell of waterlogged decaying organic matter.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    Thanks @m_c ;;;; . I'm in two minds about trying to do it myself or taking it to a bike shop to fit the rotors. 

I’m not the world’s most confident bike mechanic but taking rotors on and off really isn’t very hard and I’ve done it lots of times even just to give them a proper clean. I don’t think you’d find it too daunting after doing it once.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:

I’m not the world’s most confident bike mechanic but taking rotors on and off really isn’t very hard and I’ve done it lots of times even just to give them a proper clean. I don’t think you’d find it too daunting after doing it once.
    Thanks, yeah I'm going to give it a go, I've now ordered the above rotors
  • I've made a monumental mistake and ordered the wrong type of hubs. So annoyed with  myself. Only noticed when trying to fit the cassette and realized the lack of grooves on the hub. Inexcusable, especially after checking this so many times when looking at their web page. The drop down menu must've moved without me realizing. I'll contact Hunt tomorrow to see what can be done. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    You might be able to just send back the freehub and swap for the correct one which is easier than sending the whole set of wheels! Haven't done it on Hunt wheels but on Hope hubs at least it's an easy job to swap it. 
    Life was so much simpler when freehubs were all HG.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    m_c said:
    They never were (Campagnolo diehard ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    HyperGlide is pretty rubbish anyway, they should’ve scrapped it a decade ago. Too easy for cassettes to eat the splines
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    elstoof said:
    HyperGlide is pretty rubbish anyway, they should’ve scrapped it a decade ago. Too easy for cassettes to eat the splines
    Yep my old Pro 2 was pretty chewed up by the end! Still worked great though, just had to get a bit heavy handed with a hammer to get the cassette to unstick itself when removing it :)
    m_c said:
    They never were (Campagnolo diehard ;) )
    But that's weird roadie stuff!
    elstoof said:
    That depended on what cassette and freehub body you ran.
    Steel freehub bodies were fine, and so were more expensive cassettes with an alloy carrier.
    The issue was cheaper cassettes without a carrier on alloy freehub bodies, however even though the individual sprockets dug in, they still functioned fine. Did occasionally require a bit hammering/levering to get them back off though.