The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• Such sad news about @Mellish .. since I started posting on this thread this year he gave me a lot of encouragement and advice.... he had a lot of wisdom to share and was a gentleman. Life goes on but it will seem strange here without him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 309
    That is hard to take in,

Such sad news about @Mellish .. since I started posting on this thread this year he gave me a lot of encouragement and advice.... he had a lot of wisdom to share and was a gentleman. Life goes on but it will seem strange here without him. 

He knew his stuff, will be strange without him
  • Going to be a tad different without him around. But at the same time, the wheels keep turning. I'm quite sure he'd agree.

RIP Mellish, may the wind be always on your back.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3030
    edited July 2023
    Well, I took the plunge on a new bike. I’ve upgraded from my Giant Defy 2 2015 with an aluminum frame to a brand new Giant Defy Advanced 2, carbon frame, Shimano 105, 32mm tubeless tyres. What a machine..it flies over the rough roads around here and is far more comfy than the old bike. Went to a 35 mile ride tonight and managed to complete a couple of big climbs in the mountains on my first attempt at them. Climbs well, and bloody flies downhill! It's a small frame and fits me perfectly. The old Defy was medium and was a tad too big. The narrower handlebars and shorter reach feels far more comfortable. 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pleased you like it, I found going from aluminium to carbon a big difference in comfort,
  • Jaycee said:
    Pleased you like it, I found going from aluminium to carbon a big difference in comfort,
    Yes it makes a hell of a difference. My backside has been quite sore since Monday though, not sure about the saddle that came with the bike, might switch it with the Specialized Power Comp I've been using on the old bike.

Does anyone use a Garmin Varia rear light? Getting quite annoyed with cars appearing from nowhere behind me! 
  • Jaycee said:
    Yes it makes a hell of a difference. My backside has been quite sore since Monday though, not sure about the saddle that came with the bike, might switch it with the Specialized Power Comp I've been using on the old bike.

Does anyone use a Garmin Varia rear light? Getting quite annoyed with cars appearing from nowhere behind me! 

The right saddle makes a world of difference. If you know one you like, buy 10!

I use a Garmin Varia RTL on the Cinelli, and my Cannondale Synapse has one built-in as part of its Smartsense wotsits. Not much use in the city as it constantly beeps in traffic so it's switched off. But out in the country it's brilliant, never had a false positive or negative. Audio and/or visual indicator and connects seamlessly to my head units (Wahoo and Hammerhead).
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1241
    I'd give it a few rides to let the saddle and your backside bed in a bit. If it's still causing noticeable problems after a few rides, then start looking for something else.

Saddles are quite a personal thing, so you really need to try various ones, and see what works for you.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    drofluf said:
    Jaycee said:
    drofluf said:
    90k through the Cotswolds yesterday and then stripped the bike down ahead of having a new group set fitted

Is it an upgrade or needed replacement?

I upgraded the groupset on one of my previous bikes from Tiagra to 105, was able to get a good re-sale price for it a few years later, and it was like riding a new bike.
    But of both :)

current setup is 105 cranks and the rest Tiagra. The derailleurs work but are rusted so don’t look great, shifters are fine . So moving to GRX 1X11 which will also let me replace the BB7’s with hydraulics. 
    Well these things re never straightforward :)

First the cranks were too narrow for my frame so I had to replace them with a set I had in my parts box, so no new shiny cranks :(. Then the flat mount brakes weren't compatible with post mounts so I had to get new calipers. Unfrotunately the first  set just left a pool of hydraulic fluid on the workshop floor so I'm waiting for the replacements to arrive.

So if anyone knows someone who needs some GRX parts please get in touch
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited July 2023
    Picked up a Vitus Sommet 275 frame in the CRC sale was worried all my "old standard" parts wouldn't fit but after a quick eyeball it looks like it should all be ok with new end caps and spacers for the rear hub, and looks like I can get away clearance-wise with my non-boost cranks so long as the chainline remains ok. Looking forward to building it up. Will be transferring all my hardtail parts onto it with 170mm Lyriks (and still 26" wheels for now!), should be a proper trail and bike park ripper! Long term when I can afford to move to 27.5 I'm toying with the idea of completely murdering it out with all black parts and Z1 Bombers with black stanchions for extra stealth  can't decide between that or some tasteful flashes of Raceface Kashmoney finished stem/pedals/seat clamp etc.

Should have a 16" Dartmoor Hornet 26/27.5" frame up for sale soon if anyone here is interested.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2023
    @TTBZ Wiggle had a few 160mm 27.5 Fox 36s for much cheapness last week, if you want a cheap fork. And having checked, they've still got all black Performance 36s for £400, which are probably on par, if not still using slightly better internals than Z1s, given Fox now own Marzocchi, with Marzicchi using Fox's older tech.

I bought a set of FIT4 Factory's to resurrect my winter hack bike, as at £400, they're selling them at below trade price and were £50 cheaper than on CRC. They are however OEM, not retail boxed if you're concerned about getting all the shiny bits.
    edited July 2023
    Unfortunately spent all my spare money on the frame so forks will have to wait for now I think! My Lyrik is still pretty good tbh so I don't mind having to wait a while so long as I stock up on some spare 26" tyres whilst they're still available. Will probably look for a used Z1, Yari or Domain, seen them all going for around £200 on eBay which seems pretty good and would all suit this build. My first proper MTB had an original Z1 Bomber so there's a bit of nostalgia for Marzocchi there.
  • Anyone following the World Champs next week? I'm marshalling the DH at Fort William.

Any MTBers know any good routes in the area? The main Nevis Range trails are closed for the event; so looking at some low-risk routes for to fit in around my shifts
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Try the opposite side of the main Speanbridge road, which I have currently forgotten the name off!

Plus you can usually still ride the more off-piste stuff between Nevis Range and Fort Bill.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Anyone following the World Champs next week? I'm marshalling the DH at Fort William.

I was very tempted to head up to watch the road race and then go to stay with a friend an Dumfries, but I need to be in Cardiff on Saturday afternoon for Wales v England rugby. It doesn't leave much time to get to Scotland to watch the cycling. :(
  • Anyone following the World Champs next week? I'm marshalling the DH at Fort William.

Yep, I'll be there for the weekend. Going to take a spin out to Loch Lomond on the Saturday (weather permitting) and then watch the Elite road race on Sunday.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    Finally managed to try my 1x11 setup yesterday. After the hassles with parts I succumbed to manflu so haven’t been out for 3 weeks.  

Quick 50km club run yesterday cut short by weather (for the rest of the group) and lack of fitness (for me) but the new setup works for me. Easier climbing and a long enough top gear for the flat sections. Don’t miss the high gear on the downhills. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Mixed feelings on the XC, UCI mucking about with the start number, Pidcock riding splendidly for a win though the "crash" on his short track XC did look extremely aggressive... quite a few riders complaining.

edited August 2023
    Finally got the Sommet built up. Still need a longer rear brake hose so I can route it properly, but it's all rideable and luckily all my old parts fit. Taking it out for a spin tonight to get the suspension dialled in a bit better. The Lyrik is definitely feeling a bit ropey when compared to the new rear shock, will upgrade as and when I can afford to!

Looking good @TTBZ ;