The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Carbon framesets are very strong, light and responsive @MagicPigDetective but don't ovwrlook Reynolds. Steel, yes, but 531, 653, 753, 853 - as good as you can find anywhere in their price range.
    ☺️
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Orro bikes are really nice lovely paint finishes a friend of mine is a has them in his shop.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3772
    90k through the Cotswolds yesterday and then stripped the bike down ahead of having a new group set fitted
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    drofluf said:
    90k through the Cotswolds yesterday and then stripped the bike down ahead of having a new group set fitted

Is it an upgrade or needed replacement?

I upgraded the groupset on one of my previous bikes from Tiagra to 105, was able to get a good re-sale price for it a few years later, and it was like riding a new bike.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Rode the Dunwich Dynamo last night, 112 miles from London to the Suffolk coast, bloody freezing and bloody knackered!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3772
    Jaycee said:
    drofluf said:

Is it an upgrade or needed replacement?

I upgraded the groupset on one of my previous bikes from Tiagra to 105, was able to get a good re-sale price for it a few years later, and it was like riding a new bike.
    But of both :)

current setup is 105 cranks and the rest Tiagra. The derailleurs work but are rusted so don’t look great, shifters are fine . So moving to GRX 1X11 which will also let me replace the BB7’s with hydraulics. 
  • Completed the 50km sportive, it went well, had a great time. The first half was tough, cycling into strong winds (no surprise on Anglesey!) but heading back inland it was fine and a pleasure cycling small country lanes. In fact, I felt strong finishing and I  could have gone much further! The first of many I hope, it was great being amongst other cyclists, everyone super friendly. Another 75km sportive on Anglesey in a month. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    m_c said:

I'm looking to replace it, as I'm eyeing up an event next year that a shorter travel full sus that can handle some abuse would be perfect for, but I've not really seen anything that ticks the same boxes, and the new version isn't available in the UK as they don't currently have a UK distributor (previous distributor was hopeless anyway!) :/
    Which event is this? I've always enjoyed shorter travel, slacker bikes. My main ride is a 140mm slack angled HT, which is fine for most of the MTBing locally, but I have a slightly longer travel FS for the bigger and steeper days out. (A lot of which is very local, as well! :D
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1249
    Pjon said:
    m_c said:

I'm looking to replace it, as I'm eyeing up an event next year that a shorter travel full sus that can handle some abuse would be perfect for, but I've not really seen anything that ticks the same boxes, and the new version isn't available in the UK as they don't currently have a UK distributor (previous distributor was hopeless anyway!) :/
    Which event is this? I've always enjoyed shorter travel, slacker bikes. My main ride is a 140mm slack angled HT, which is fine for most of the MTBing locally, but I have a slightly longer travel FS for the bigger and steeper days out. (A lot of which is very local, as well! :D
    The Transvesubienne - Transvesubienne UK | UCC Sport Event (ucc-sportevent.com)
    80 km distance, 2700m climbing, and 4000m descending.

I've done the Mega 3 times, and as much as I've enjoyed it and want to do it again, I want to try something a bit different.

As much as I like my hardtail, I'm not sure I'd be in any fit state to still remain attached to the bars after 4000m of descending on it, and I'm not sure dragging a 180/160mm travel full sus up 2700m is a good option either.
    Although replacing that bike would probably make more sense, but I'm holding off any major purchases until later this year, as redundancy/unemployment might be looming.
    m_c said:
    Pjon said:
    m_c said:

The Transvesubienne - Transvesubienne UK | UCC Sport Event (ucc-sportevent.com)
    80 km distance, 2700m climbing, and 4000m descending.

I've done the Mega 3 times, and as much as I've enjoyed it and want to do it again, I want to try something a bit different.

As much as I like my hardtail, I'm not sure I'd be in any fit state to still remain attached to the bars after 4000m of descending on it, and I'm not sure dragging a 180/160mm travel full sus up 2700m is a good option either.
    Although replacing that bike would probably make more sense, but I'm holding off any major purchases until later this year, as redundancy/unemployment might be looming.
    Nice, and yes I'd be the same on a HT on that event! :D 
  • I appear to have my first case of cycling induced chafing. Chamois cream ordered....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @MagicPigDetective something you might want to check is your saddle height. Not saying that's at fault but if it's a bit too high there's a sideways rocking of the body that won't help.

:) 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I finally got round to stripping and rebuilding my old school retro MTB. 1996 Marin Eldridge Grade - skinny steel Tange triple butted tubing and Shimano 8-speed Deore LX/XT. I took off the Manitou elastomer suspension fork and refitted the steel fork. Ideal for exploring urban bike paths.

https://i.imgur.com/KYemPp7.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
    We rode Penny Farthings on Sunday morning - round Parliament Square and down the Mall! Terrifying...but strangely addictive. We're going back....Courtesy of https://pennyfarthingclub.com/
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    Airmiles said:
    We rode Penny Farthings on Sunday morning - round Parliament Square and down the Mall! Terrifying...but strangely addictive. We're going back....Courtesy of https://pennyfarthingclub.com/
    A friend of mine has a penny farthing... even getting on the damn thing is quite a task.
    I finally got round to stripping and rebuilding my old school retro MTB. 1996 Marin Eldridge Grade - skinny steel Tange triple butted tubing and Shimano 8-speed Deore LX/XT. I took off the Manitou elastomer suspension fork and refitted the steel fork. Ideal for exploring urban bike paths.

https://i.imgur.com/KYemPp7.jpg

I had a 1997 Eldridge Grade (I think it was 97!) It was the purple one, with optional Manitou Mach 5 forks.) I loved it, but it was really underbuilt, I could make the bottom bracket shell twist by sprinting. It was raced for about 18 months until the reach mech hanger got twisted irreparably and I bought a Klein which I only got rid of about 2 years ago.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2523
    Classic paint jobs on Kleins
  • ewalewal Frets: 2616
    Just dropping in to say I've built myself a gravel bike, having bought a Genesis Croix de Fer frame from my brother. Very enjoyable process building it up, and really happy with the bike so far.

It's early days, however I'm wondering why it's taken me so long to jump on the gravel biking bandwagon. I've mainly done road cycling over the years, but always hankered to go off road, without having the handling skills to do full on single-track mountain biking. Gravel riding on all the forestry, estate and drover's tracks round here is the ideal compromise.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    Well done @ewal it is a good learning curve, and enjoy your riding
    @ewal there's something good about building your own bike, choosing and fitting each component carefully; not rushing assembly but taking the time to make sure it's done right. 

Well done! 

:)