The Fretboard Cycling Club

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    edited June 2023
    Pjon said:
    Jaycee said:
    Mellish said:
    @Jaycee ; I'm not quite understanding - a '"big difference" in a good or bad way?

I assume in a good way. 

Good way, I have an allergy to anything over 5%  one of the hills was 12-15% in places
    To get home tonight (or any night) I have to climb the hill I live on which averages 8% roughly, with the steepest parts at over 20%. I ride a lot but never get any lighter - maybe it's because I drink so much to wipe the memory of the climbing from my mind! D 

To give an idea, there is an official cycle path the other side of the hill which climbs 192ft in 0.44 mile, which is average 8% gradient according to Strava. Also, to give an idea of what the professionals do, Mont Ventoux is an average of 7.4% for 21.3km! I think Ventoux is still the biggest climb I've ever ridden.

I have a hill 50 metres from the house probably 200 metres long avg 10%, I used to dread going up it  but no problem now.

I would love to do one of the Alp climbs, 

drofluf said:
    drofluf said:
    Any interest in a Fretboard cycling club on Strava? VC Fretboard has a nice ring to it :)

Ok, you should be able to find it here. https://www.strava.com/clubs/1147955

Just joined .....  J C

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 554
    Pjon said:
    bobblehat said:
    Anyone else watching Tour De France Unchained on Netflix?  Only watched the first episode but pretty good so far. 
    Yes also watched the first episode, enjoyed it, good insights.
    I'm about half-way though the series and am finding it irritating and interesting in equal measure. Often, the commentary doesn't match with what's happening on screen. (Commentary: 'He's making a break for the finish line!'. Me: 'No, that's an intermediate sprint, you idiot.') The voice overs are very distracting, so I shall find a way to turn them off, and it's a pity that they don't explain the race a bit better, but then it's not really aimed at me, someone who's watched pro-cycling for decades. It's better than not having cycling on TV!
    I get what your saying about the voice overs and commentary. The original audio is in French and they haven't done a great job with the English version. Can be a bit jarring at times. Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 
    bobblehat said:
    Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 

Who talk too much, gets annoying, Paul Sherwen and  Phil Ligget had it just right
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Joined. You will all get sick of my daily commute! :D 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    bobblehat said:
    Pjon said:
    bobblehat said:
    Anyone else watching Tour De France Unchained on Netflix?  Only watched the first episode but pretty good so far. 
    Yes also watched the first episode, enjoyed it, good insights.
    I'm about half-way though the series and am finding it irritating and interesting in equal measure. Often, the commentary doesn't match with what's happening on screen. (Commentary: 'He's making a break for the finish line!'. Me: 'No, that's an intermediate sprint, you idiot.') The voice overs are very distracting, so I shall find a way to turn them off, and it's a pity that they don't explain the race a bit better, but then it's not really aimed at me, someone who's watched pro-cycling for decades. It's better than not having cycling on TV!
    I get what your saying about the voice overs and commentary. The original audio is in French and they haven't done a great job with the English version. Can be a bit jarring at times. Its also likely that our ears are tuned to the likes of Ned Boulting and Rob Hatch etc. 
    We put it on the original French with English subtitles last night - much better.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    edited June 2023
    Super sad to hear the news that swiss rider Gino Mader has died during the TdS following a high speed crash on the descent of the Albula pass, where he fell off the mountain.

I used to live in Davos and know that pass really well. It's a hell of a descent. The speeds these guys go on these roads is astonishing and I honestly don't know how they do it the riders are so brave.

Really sad day for cycling.
  • AndyDAndyD Frets: 2
    Super sad to hear the news that swiss rider Gino Mader has died during the TdS following a high speed crash on the descent of the Albula pass, where he fell off the mountain.
    Very sad news - RIP Gino
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    Yes, RIP Gino. 

Thanks for what you gave to pro cyclimg. 

• vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 454
    Shocking news, heartbreaking.
  • Awful news.

Moving awkwardly to another subject.. I'm looking for a new bike (cycle2work so has to be new) and the stock for smaller frames is very limited. I like the look of the Canyon Endurace CF 7 but there's a wait until May 2024! 

I’ll be in Cardiff this week, might have a look in Bristol’s Giant and Ribble stores. Any other good bike shops in that area?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited June 2023
    I feel like I've turned a corner the last two rides, where my fitness is now up to a point where I can really enjoy myself and it's not a torturous slog, Thursday night's mountain bike ride involved a lot of climbing at the start but I handled it ok and it was pure enjoyment. The same route two months ago was a killer! Last night was a 57km ride to Pwllheli along the coast, so no big climbs. I didn't push it and was comfortable for the whole ride. In fact I had loads of energy left, even breaking a PB for a mile long sprint segment that I set eight years ago, that was near the end of the ride. Really looking forward to the 50km sportive in two weeks time. 

Don't want to get too emotional here but I've really fallen for cycling this year and it's played a huge part in sorting myself out after a mid forties crisis last year. It's so fulfilling and I'm feeling as fit as I've ever done. Loving it. 

Here's a photo from the mtb ride, a real wow moment at the end of a big climb that made it all worth it.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @MagicPigDetective Glad it's getting easier and you are enjoying it.

There are a few Bike shops in Cardiff,  the larger ones being Tredz on Penarth road, Don Skene Newport Road, fairly easy to park, and Evans Cycles Dumfries Place in the middle of town just under a multi storey car park
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @MagicPigDetective ; I can't speak for others, but I'll tell you how it was for me.

I'd get home after a ride, often a hilly 25, and I'd try to relax but I couldn't, and I knew I had to go out again.

Now I'm not suggesting YOU do that but cycling can get very addictive. 

:) 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    Not much biking for me this weekend as I was working in Fort William, but stopped off for a spin around Glen Coe on the way home today. It didn't seem too warm when I set off, but the sun came out on the first climb, and it quickly got a bit warmer :-/

I did get a nice pic overlooking Loch Leven

image.png 1.7M
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9745
    Jaycee said:

There are a few Bike shops in Cardiff,  the larger ones being Tredz on Penarth road, Don Skene Newport Road, fairly easy to park, and Evans Cycles Dumfries Place in the middle of town just under a multi storey car park
    I’ve been faithful to Cyclopedia in all the years I’ve lived in Cardiif - I was in there about a month ago and they had quite a few nice Basso road bikes in stock. The others mentioned above are all good.
    Jaycee said:

I’ve been faithful to Cyclopedia in all the years I’ve lived in Cardiif - I was in there about a month ago and they had quite a few nice Basso road bikes in stock. The others mentioned above are all good.

They (Cyclopedia) have a good reputation,, having not been for years didn't know what thier stock was like, good to know 
  • Yes I do believe I'm hooked @Mellish ;

Thanks for the shop advice @jaycee and @thermionic ;

If I can ask yet another question.... what are your views on the relaxed, endurance v race geometry difference?

My Giant Defy (2015, Tiagra, Aluminium) is quite relaxed, more an endurance bike. It's the only road bike I've had, it feels comfortable, though I suspect it's a little large for me. I'm not someone who's racing and sprinting, though I want to get my average speed up, I also want to build my endurance and go for longer rides. At the moment, I don't spend that much time on the drop bars, though I'm trying to increase that. The roads around here are quite rough so I would like to improve comfort. 

I'm thinking of upgrading to something like a Giant Defy Advanced 1 or 2, which is an endurance bike (compared to the racier TCR). Carbon frame, comes with tubeless 32mm tyres.. I think it would suit my needs over a bike with a more racing geometry? Would a 'racing' bike really be that more uncomfortable? 

As for group set, is it worth paying 2-300 extra for the Ultegra over a 105? 

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3875
    To generalise (as there will always be exceptions) a  full on "racing" bike will be more rigid and have a more aggressive position, stiffer frame, lower bar position etc. so won't be as comfortable for long rides but will be more responsive compared to a "tourer" which will be relaxed. 

What sort of riding to you want to do? Apologies if I've missed it upthread. If it were me I'd go for an endurance style bike - in comfort terms there's a lot to be said for wide tyres 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 454
    Never ridden the Defy but I do own a TCR and it’s pretty lively but perfectly comfortable over long distances. Easy to tweak saddle position and stem length/height to make comfortable.
    It’s a fast bike, I really like it.
    Depends what you’re priority is I guess, I’m used to racing geometry so I would tend to gravitate towards that.
    I don’t think there’s any functional difference between 105 and Ultegra, Ultegra is just a bit lighter.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3048
    edited June 2023
    I want to ride say 50-100km (or more!) rides in this area, which usually includes a lot of climbing. Long term goal is to be able to ride mountain passes like Llanberis pass etc. No racing etc. Speed is great but not the priority.

I'm leaning towards an endurance bike. Hopefully will get a chance to view a few bikes later this week, including Defy and TCR's.