Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    Thanks to all who helped out in choosing the FX8...

It really is absolutely stunning ! Stunning.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • come on then @Wazmeister give us some details 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jack, I need to write a full review. Im still learning the FX8 but it is absolutely superb. If i can get it to link with the EHX 45000, life will be complete :)
  • thats good news mate. I am curious to see what you think of all the individual effects and how they all perform etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

• thats good news mate. I am curious to see what you think of all the individual effects and how they all perform etc
    Same here. I find the demos online to be frustrating as I don't want to hear drives or the amps they're using. Just the effects would be much better. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    The drives are great but I think the other effects - modulations, delays and reverbs are better - I can't think of a floor pedal or multi I've used that sounds as good. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i've rehearsed with mine 4 times now, and it is superb, never had a better core tone, and it's super versatile

Mind blowing.

The FX8 has quite simply thrown all my pedal thinking on its head !

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Glad to hear it @Wazmeister. Knew you'd like it!
    without wanting to start a debate, @wazmeister how does it compare in your experience against the Helix having tried both ?

• cbellanga said:
    I had a very early FX8. It didn't work for me as I couldn't find a very subtle edge of breakup setting after a week tweaking it. It's awesome for heavier things or if you're using the amp's drive. I have my name in the ax8 wait list now as I assume that will allow me to sort those kind of sounds + remove the amp from the equation.
    Has anyone else struggled with an edge of breakup setting?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    If anything I would say the drives are too biased towards breakup and boosts and I'm hoping for more higher gain pedals in future updates.      I've found lots of pedals that give that edgey sound and found it hard to narrow it down to a favourite.   
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    cbellanga said:
    I had a very early FX8. It didn't work for me as I couldn't find a very subtle edge of breakup setting after a week tweaking it. It's awesome for heavier things or if you're using the amp's drive. I have my name in the ax8 wait list now as I assume that will allow me to sort those kind of sounds + remove the amp from the equation.
    I haven't but it depends on what you are running into.
    With the CAA and the Two Rock the breakup is great.

• Thanks folks. I am getting tempted.
    The break up is fine with the Rambler.
    without wanting to start a debate, @wazmeister how does it compare in your experience against the Helix having tried both ?
    I've tried both, and without doubt the FX8 has the better tones (although I didn't get to hear them side by side). Difficult to describe exactly how, but it sounds a bit more polished and - well - just better! I've stuck with the Helix as it is a better fit for me - I can easily use it at home over headphones and Helix via a PA works better for me in a lot of live and rehearsal situations. Also - while I don't think it is quite at the Fractal level - the Helix sounds great to my ears and I'm playing more than I have for a long time.

My v quick summary

FX8
    Better tones
    Excellent range of effects
    Total plug and play with an amp either into the front or 4CM.
    Updates look good
    Unity gain totally straightforward

Helix
    Much better UI (although FX8 is fine)
    Much better routing and flexibility in a rig and with other pedals etc (although FX8 is fine)
    Unity gain across presets is a bit more work
    Lag in switching between presets (although I think other amp modellers have this when switching between models??)
    Not quite as good as the FX8 in terms of tones, but still very, very good
    Updates look good
    Suspect I'll use it less with an amp, more with PA etc.

If you just want multi fx into an amp, FX8 every time. For a floor based unit that does amp modelling, the Helix is great. Really pleased with it. 

Had the AX8 been easily available at the time I got the Helix, that might have been a bit more of an interesting decision...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    guitarpolo;950534" said:
    cbellanga said:

On this, I got a great edge of breakup tone with the fx8 and the eternal love drive. Did a whole gig basically using this drive and the guitar volume pot it sounded so good (well, the tone at least ;) )
    @kjdowd - that review and comparison is spot on, and matches my findings...

For me personally, I needed a multi effects which worked into my amps... I had difficulty getting the Helix to unity, and much prefer the FX8. Undoubtedly, the Helix is a fine looking piece of kit and it has a superior interface, and the ability to switch stuff about really favoured it UNTIL the v3 release last week on the FX8.

You can move ANYTHING anywhere, AND now rename too.

Quite simply breathtaking...
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I think that's a fair and balanced review @kjdowd
    For me it's the Helix because it works better for my rig (the 1.06 firmware adds some nice stuff too like 3 matchless DC30 models and a few nice drives)
    But if I was just gigging the Friedman I'd use the FX8
    My only niggle is I hate the menus on the FX8
    Just a world of pain (but I can't deal with the H9s for the same reason)
    for the edge of breakup i use the Blues OD (or something like that) it sounds quite AC30 ish to me, i use it for Beatles/Stones type stuff which has a bit of mild grit in it, but not crunch.

the FX8 in 4CM into my JCM800 combo last night sounded out of this world