Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Is anybody selling anything?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Thats a fair try at a price guide @Kevin but I suspect the rather wide spread on the prices means buyers will look to the low end of the spread and sellers will look to the high end. For instance, the price on a random choice of 1987 Les Paul Custom that I looked at ranged from less than £1200 to over £1600 - thats a BIG margin, not likely to resolve to an agreed price very quickly. Several of the low end prices on other popular guitars look like guitar shops will be out of business very very soon! But I appreciate the collection of information and its open availability :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Optimistic and realistic are often far apart
  • Also 1987 Les Paul customs after 30 years will vary a lot in condition which would justify a wide spread in prices.

Obviously a minter would be worth a lot more than one which has been gigged and/or modified to death.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited October 2015
    I almost always sell something on ebay (but would get stung for the pleasure. Most of the time on Facebook, and some of the time on gumtree. Don't sell as much through here, well, comparatively anyway, even though I usually have it a fiver/tenner cheaper here than on gumtree/Facebook.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Hardley ever get a sale on here unless your giving it away. Too many dealers and chancers LOL :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    I've found if you want trades, The Fretboard is the place for you.

If you actually want to sell it fairly quickly, look to Gumtree or eBay.

Sold 2 guitars in the last week on Gumtree.
    Both valued VERY fairly may I add (probably less than I thought they were worth, but that's the current market for you).
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • I sold my Firebird eventually for a fair price, but it did take about 3 months of batting away "I'll give you £400 because it is used and not limited edition..."
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    edited October 2015
    Gadget said:
    Of course things will sell 'at any price' but who can afford to do that?

Shops will nearly always screw you, unless a) they are one of the few good guys who will sell on modest commission, or b) they're taking it as part exchange on something else much more expensive.

As for the 'what's with collection only thing'?... Well several things. I've had many items damaged in transit, which is annoying for both seller and buyer. Buyers seldom want to pay the full cost of properly insuring a very expensive item. What's more, in my experience, when there is a breakage, the couriers then refuse to pay-up because they blame 'poor packaging' by the seller. This brings the buyer back to the seller's door and things get nasty. Personally, if I really want a guitar or amp, I'm prepared to go get it.
    Not that easy if you're living in NE Scotland. I think what the other poster was getting at was that if you say collection only, you are effectively reducing your buyers by quite a %, maybe even 60-70% (obviously a figure totally pulled out my head). Let's say someone in Glasgow has an amp I would like. It's easy 300 miles round trip and the best part of a day to do it. England therefore is out of the question as far as I'm concerned. I would say Glasgow would cost me about 70-80 quid on fuel, then lunch or/and supper. Nah! 'Collection only' is almost like stating 'I have something to sell, but really can't be bothered wrapping it up for you...even at your own cost'. the poster above that said something very true about shops. How do you think they get the guitars and amps. Do you think there's a wee army of guitar makers in the basement of each shop? Or maybe the delivery vans the shops use only carry 2-3 amps fully wrapped in flight cases and then more bubble wrap, then the roof taken oof the van and a massive bag of that polystyrene nuggets are poured in.
    Sorry for the rant, but it is hard when you see something that you fancy and can just about afford, only to have it dashed away in the glimpse of a bit of font. 
    EDIT: I might understand it is the item is worth several thousand quid and vintage...but anything less than 500 quid for example.............come on...get wrapping and open up your market.
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    Gadget said:
    Brize said:
    Gadget said:
    Thanks for your contribution to the debate. Anything constructive to add, or just doing a bit of trolling?
    Constructive trolling. The two aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.
    How is being sarcastic 'constructive'?

Have you anything to say on the subject of selling / not selling guitars on the forum? That was the original subject.
    now now. 

Saying that you are both right. Nothing wrong with making comments on someone post, even if it can be seen as a wee bit cheeky. Regarding the cost of vintage gear alongside that of new gear. If you have the money and want it buy it. If not than tough. I doesn't differ in any way to other things in life. You may want a pair or Crocket and Jones boots, but have to settle for something cheaper...that's life.

There's a lot of people struggling just now for the spare money to buy 'toys'. Personally I think the cost of some vintage or rare gear is daft. If you want to buy it as some type of investment then that's up to you, but if the ass falls out the market (as it can with many things) then you're either stuck with it, or sell for less. Shops have sales all the time. Do we buy gear because we need or because we want? If we buy for need...do we need a 3000 quid 60's guitar, or will a new 400 quid one be suitable for the needs!  
  • KevinKevin Frets: 33
    Thanks @Chalky there's always going to variance in price and expectations for a used piece of gear, because by definition there is only going to be one of them. Building some transparency into the process, through prior sales, helps bring expectations and reality closer together. 

BTW, for everyone upset over eBay's pricing...Reverb's fees are less than 1/3rd :-)