FINISHED! Dreadnought Acoustic

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    The various usual burdens and tasks of life has got a bit in the way of progress, but there really isn't a whole lot more to do and things are being ticked off each time I get the odd hour or so to work on it.

I've drilled and taper reamed the bridge pin holes:

I've levelled the frets - call me uncannily perceptive, but I reckon a few of the upper frets and some more down the bottom end are a bit high....

The once they were level, a bit of crowning:

I rough them out with the Hosco fret file, but then wrap micro web of decreasing grit round the file to do a progressive polish.  The edges of the ebony fretboard still has to be rounded so I should lose the rough and chipped edges in this shot.   That and a bit of slurried and buffed tru-oil on the fretboard:

The gap in the rosette will be covered by the pretty invisible black fretboard shaped magnetic pickup of the Shadow Doubleplay system.  This is fully blendable with a standard peizo strip under the bridge saddle.

I'm hoping the tuners will arrive in the next couple of days so I can string it up before the weekend to do the final adjusting.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5028
    edited April 2016
    Amazing work Andy.  Deserves at least a thousand Wows, have one from me.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10412
    Absolutely stunning work.Very impressive indeed.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3107
    More wowage...Wow!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks folks :)

I have a surprising amount still to do, but I now know that it can take the tension of the strings without clapping hands and actually sounds like a dreadnought acoustic! 

I am a bit weird (generally, I suppose, but also specifically...) because I do the final neck shaping when the guitar is fully strung.  I have all of the critical dimensions now at their final position (eg overall depth and width) but have left the profile a teeny bit clubby.  Personally, I can't judge when the profile is just right until I'm playing, so that's what I do.  I will get the scrapers out and fine tune the shape - probably creating a soft 'V' profile from what is presently halfway between a 'C' and a 'D'.

Here it is at the first stringing up trial:

Still to do, as a minimum:

• Finish profile the neck and re-slurry/oil
    • Polish the top
    • Reset the nut - I am using a zero fret but the nut behind it needs to be higher with deeper slots to keep the G and D strings in position better
    • Sort a truss rod cover
    • Take the sharp edges off the fretboard
    • Install the fretboard side dots
    • Install the electrics
    • Final set-up
    In the meantime, I'm well chuffed how it sounds.  The comparison with my OM is just as it should be - this is for strumming and has volume, balance, sustain and a bassy smoothness.  OK too for fingerpicking.  The OM has the edge on fingerpicking but is much rougher with the strumming.

I'm a happy chappy who is hoping this will be complete by the end of this weekend 

:)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    Two more jobs off the finish list.  I raised the nut a touch and filed the slots down until they were below the zero fret.  This gives proper and secure positioning of the two middle strings where the angle off to the tuners.

I also added an ebony trussrod cover with a routed 'swift'.  I also added a maple strip to this to reflect the white line added to the fretboard demarcation.  That said, I'm not entirely sure whether ebony is right for the cover - if I get a bit of spare time, I might do a mahogany one and a lacewood one and see which looks best.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm liking the ebony, I think it suits as it appears to match the fretboard.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited April 2016
    paulnb57 said:
    I'm liking the ebony, I think it suits as it appears to match the fretboard.....
    Thanks, Paul

There are a couple of soundclips here - one strumming and one fingerpicking.  They are some exceptionally old strings I used for the first string up and this is recorded straight into a vocal mic with no EQ tweaks.  Even though it isn't set up yet, it pretty much sounds like a dreadnought to me 
    :)
    Sounds pukka to me Andy, I hope the recipient is suitably impressed, I'd be over the moon...

paulnb57 said:
    Sounds pukka to me Andy, I hope the recipient is suitably impressed, I'd be over the moon...
    Thanks, Paul and for your very encouraging comments along the way.  Just about to post the final shots now it has the electrics installed and new strings.  I'll try some recording through the pickups later in the weekend....
    OK - finished.  Forgive the self-indulgence, but here it is:

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Self indulgence is entirely justifiable Andy!

Another outstanding guitar build! Have a final Wow!

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited April 2016
    I'll forgive the self-indulgence of all the posts and pics, but giving it away?? Now that's self-indulgent! ;) :D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Amazing Andy, what a beautiful guitar. Bravo, bravo!  =D>
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Wow from me too.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Andy that is a sinning guitar, and a real credit to your craftsmanship.
    There are some amazing little details which really set it off - the two toned binding, the thin strip of maple under the fretboard, the non-inlaid swift on the truss rod cover, the secret swift hiding on the neck heal. It's all brilliant!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Wish I could multiple wow this. I'm in shock. Really wonderful work Andy.
    Thanks, folks - really appreciated  :)
  • Very nice (although it's getting harder to be impressed with your builds - we just expect perfection every time ;) )

Sounds as good as it looks as well.