Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    impmann;891631" said:
    You see, I had this brilliant idea for spray butter for that exact reason - much like squirty cream - but I was told nobody would buy it.
    Maybe more like a deodorant stick or roll on would work?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    Shark_Eyes;891659" said:
    I like the idea of the headstock matching the plain wood body.
    I am less sure now. But I am leaning more towards a blacktop every day so black veneer may make more sense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    had the afternoon off work so got the body bound

I scrape the back of the binding and tape it all in place.  Use a heat gun very gently on the cutaway to make it all fit.  Then why that cooling down I un-tape the bass side, wet the channel to prevnt too much glue soaking in and use superglue.  I  re-tape as i go just to make sure its stuck

here it is an hour later after removing the tape 

Looks a little messy don't it - but its all stuck and I can carry on working on it quite quickly. Other glues do work well too, but most others can also soften the binding and you really want to make sure its fully cured before  starting work again.  The downside of the superglue method is it can interfere with stains, but the water helps stop that and it won't be an issue here anyway

I need to do a bit more sanding on the top which will get rid of the white residue you get when superglue and water mix - and I can finalise the carve

as I am going for a full width tenon I don't need the binding on the cutaway to go all the way to the 16th fret body join
    Such a difficult decision

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Blue for me. Or copper
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    underdog;892649" said:
    Blue for me. Or copper
    Damn you. Copper would be awesome

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2015
    WezV;892669" said:
    [quote="underdog;892649"]Blue for me. Or copper
    Damn you. Copper would be awesome

[/quote]

I really want a copper top Les Paul, it'd look amazing.

Oh my god. I just found out there was a Les Paul classic in 2002 with a copper top, off to eBay.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Comes down to the pickups - mini-humbuckers look better with the blue, P90s with the black, as in the pics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I reckon blacktop with mini-hums would look pretty damn good though.
  • Back top with black Veneer headstock would look great. Although blue sparkle looks very pretty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hmm, should have checked the body binding matched the neck binding

The neck is a few shade darker. Could fix it at the finish stage but it will be best to do it first and rebind either the body or neck. If only I had another strip of cream binding... I cant remember where the stuff on the body came from so I will need to buy enough to redo the whole guitar just incase the new stuff doesn't match.

All the cream plastics on a Les Paul never match, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about that for a few more weeks :(
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Blue or copper top would get my vote, as does a headstock veneer (or painted to match the top). 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    i nearly ordered some pelham blue yesterday - I will wait a bit longer before deciding

the binding oversight has meant I couldn't carve or fret the neck yet - that was the plan for the weekend

instead I got the neck pocket routed.  This was a bit out of my comfort zone as I have never routed a neck pocket on a carved top before.  normally i would do all the routing whilst everything was flat, and angle the neck heel to get any neck angle needed

this time I made a long neck pocket template that extended quite far past each end of the guitar.  I put the neck pocket end on a block with some hinges, then shimmed up the other end until I had the neck angle I needed

its worked out okay.  not so tight that i could hold the neck and the body wouldn't fall off - but a reasonably good fit, the angle is right and it holds itself in the right place well enough

and a side shot showing angles and ridiculously mismatched binding.  the cream on the body looked very cream next to the white I have in the workshop, but it looks very pale against the dark cream of the neck binding.   pre-brought fretboard biting me in the arse  - but it will be an easy fix once i get some more cream binding

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Blue's prettier, black's classier. Best make one of each just to be sure... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Coming along nicely
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I'm totally in awe of this thread.
    There's some amazing talent on this place
  • It's looking nice @WezV
  • Stellar stuff matey.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    More updates please! I'm following this with interest, looks fantastic so far.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BLACK!!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires