Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    Just because he's an operations director doesn't' mean he isn't for real if he rides 15000 miles a year in a cut or not
    I know a Lawyer who is a full patch !% V.P ..........he's very much the real thing ;Brain and Brawn
    Maz Harris( RIP)spokesman of the H.A. and very well respected journalist had a Doctorate.........I can promise you he was the real deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    I remember Maz's articles in Back Street Heros mag, of all things. Articulate guy.

No trust me Dominic - this guy was no 15k mile a year guy, or even 1500. I know bikers come in all shapes, sizes and colours - but this chap was not one :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I used to love BSH 
    They are a funny crowd , the Harley Dealership Hangarounds ........turn up at their local dealership every saturday morning dressed in some "mean" looking leather spoiled by the fact that there isn't a drop of oil or a road rash graze on any of it but covered in Harley Corporate branding that screams "I paid £750 for this Harley jacket "
     They talk shit about chrome accessories , eat donuts ,drink a coffee ,queue at the service counter to book the bike in to screw a new mirror on and then ride 6 miles home at 20mph to do some more polishing of the chrome work .
     You don't have to be an MC member to be a proper biker ......but the whole scene has changed massively in the last 5 years ;the Old School have become truly Old and most of the Prospects in the Senior Clubs now are Oversized East European lads who work as Doormen on pubs and Clubs .
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    edited July 2020
    Dominic said:
    I used to love BSH 
    They are a funny crowd , the Harley Dealership Hangarounds ........
     talk shit about chrome accessories , eat donuts ,drink a coffee ,queue at the service counter to book the bike in to screw a new mirror on ..
    I think you have them to a tee

I took a friend with me to the local dealership at one stage when I was heading over to pick something up. He was enthralled.
    These in particular caught his eye:

https://www.achainreaction.net/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=21

A set of 'vest-extenders' - for when you get to that point where you're just too musclebound (or should that be 'fat') for your leather waistcoat.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yup spot on except the ones with skulls are even more popular
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1160
    edited July 2020
    It's been another few weeks since I got out on the bike, but the weather was too inviting tonight. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1408
    Anyone got a spare £90k

yes please

https://youtu.be/yF2vpl-rZ98
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    rsvmark said:
    Anyone got a spare £90k

yes please

https://youtu.be/yF2vpl-rZ98
    “If you use man maths it’s an investment.”

Thoroughly entertaining vid, and how hilariously insane is the fact it’s that not only does it have 234hp but weighs a mere 152kg. Love it. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008
    edited July 2020
    Imaging binning it on a roundabout on the A34...

Fagan is good value, knows his onions.
    Superleggera stats are off the chart:
    weight 152kg dry
    234bhp in race trim
    119Nm torque
    7500m or 12m service intervals

Desmosedici
    171kg dry
    197hp
    116Nm
    Cost of parts- eye watering

So basically it’s good bit lighter, has more power, slightly more torque and a shed load of tech more than a MotoGP Bike ..... And you get a set of Matching leathers and a lid. Bargintastic. But don’t drop it as the replacement carbon might be a bit dear!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4885
    I took a KTM 790 Duke out for a test ride on Tuesday. Sunny, dry. Well...

What a fine machine. Light, responsive, quick on the B-roads. Supple suspension, decent brakes and grippy tyres. Lots of wind on the chest at higher speeds - I don't see it being great for 100 miles on the motorway, but if all you ever did was back road country blasts it would be almost perfect. I rather liked the quick shifter for going up and down the gearbox.

But not the bike for me. I didn't like the feeling of being perched on top of the bike, rather than in it. I also didn't like being positioned over the front wheel. Psychologically, I was waiting to go over the front handlebars and it made me uncomfortable. My 916 was similar regarding the front wheel, but because I was stretched out over the fuel tank and "wrapped" around the bike, it wasn't the same feeling. 

Onwards and upwards, then.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    I'll be looking for something again shortly.  Open to suggestions, I quite like v-twins but have only briefly ridden il4s.  Budget probably around £4k but I don't want another sv650 or its long term nemesis the er6. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008
    sinbaadi said:
    I'll be looking for something again shortly.  Open to suggestions, I quite like v-twins but have only briefly ridden il4s.  Budget probably around £4k but I don't want another sv650 or its long term nemesis the er6. 
    Street Triple '08-11- ones with round headlights are cooler.
    You'll love it.
    I been riding a Diavel 1260s for the last month......really comfortable and handles so well given the wheel base length ; it's so stable in long sweeping bends ,motorway ramps /exits etc.......straight line torque curve is superb
    @TheBigDipper mentions his 916.......I hated mine......it felt like I was doing a handstand on the bars over the front wheel compared to the 'blade that preceded it .
    I rode a V4 Pannigale for about 400 miles earlier this summer .........it was actually very comfortable but still too severe on the wrists unless you're out on an A road but then again I'm 16 stone .
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4261
    Same sentiments here from me too - that sports-bike riding position with clip-ons is an instant no-go for me. I feel much more at home on a good roadster!

That said, I’m off to test a Husqy Vitpilen 701 on Saturday, and that’s got clip-ons too, so we’ll see how that goes!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2524
    If the Vitpilen is too hard on the wrists, try the Svartpilin which is basically the same bike with conventional bars

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4261
    Ah good point, thanks for the reminder! Tbh I’m only doing the test ride because I had no other plans this Saturday - still quite set on moving from the T100 to the Speed Twin or Scrambler 1200 in the spring. :)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    Same sentiments here from me too - that sports-bike riding position with clip-ons is an instant no-go for me. I feel much more at home on a good roadster!

That said, I’m off to test a Husqy Vitpilen 701 on Saturday, and that’s got clip-ons too, so we’ll see how that goes!

I have a 701 Vitpilen. The front end disappears from view when riding - which is odd at first but then becomes a virtue. It’s ridiculously flickable. Suspension is firm but works well once you get properly moving. Take a decent test drive, it takes time to get used to.

However - it is a wristy riding position and for me there was too much weight on the wrists. I fitted some bar risers that are very discreet (not as high as the Svarty) and they have helped. I also put on the billet pegs - which are round rather than flat like the standard fit - and that has also helped. 

Brakes are good, engine is great, quick shifter and auto blip are great, seat is terrible after an hour or so (square edges cut into your thighs). Mirrors also predictably useless. 

I’ve had mine a year and it hasn’t really clicked yet but then I was riding my Himalayan to work mainly - sold that earlier this year intending to commute on the Vit then got locked down and have done 100 miles in it since then :( I find with these kind of bikes you need to spend some time on them to come to a mutual understanding so mine will be staying for another year.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4885
    Dominic said:
    I been riding a Diavel 1260s for the last month......really comfortable and handles so well given the wheel base length ; it's so stable in long sweeping bends ,motorway ramps /exits etc.......straight line torque curve is superb
    @TheBigDipper mentions his 916.......I hated mine......it felt like I was doing a handstand on the bars over the front wheel compared to the 'blade that preceded it .
    I rode a V4 Pannigale for about 400 miles earlier this summer .........it was actually very comfortable but still too severe on the wrists unless you're out on an A road but then again I'm 16 stone .
    I loved my 916 - despite it being fairly unsuited to the public road. Here's a pic of me exiting the Karussel on it at the Nordschleife in 1995.... Nurburgring Riders Club course on a closed circuit, not a pubic day. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/io897acemrl2cc7/NL at Ring - Karousel copy.jpg?raw=1

Dominic said:
    I loved my 916 - despite it being fairly unsuited to the public road. Here's a pic of me exiting the Karussel on it at the Nordschleife in 1995.... Nurburgring Riders Club course on a closed circuit, not a pubic day. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/io897acemrl2cc7/NL at Ring - Karousel copy.jpg?raw=1

I love the 916 family. Bite the back of your hand gorgeous