Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32037
    Gulliver said:
    Gulliver said:
    Just bought a 2018 SV650 - immediately put a louder exhaust on it.

It's been pissing it down all weekend so can't go ride it

:angry: 
    Nice/not nice!

I went out for a bloody lovely ride yesterday with some guys from work. Twisty route from Sevenoaks down to Eastbourne for lunch on the beach, then across to Hastings and back to Sevenoaks via the A21. Not too much traffic around, and perfect weather here! Incident free too, which is always nice - though I did almost rear-end a van when I got distracted by some rather nice eye candy in a miniskirt...!
    Went for a short ride this evening into Birmingham City Centre, mainly so I could play in the tunnels!!!   New exhaust is already a solid investment - I may yank the baffles out, we'll see...

I wouldn't, we had a pair of SV650s for a while, my wife's was stock, mine was loud, and mine couldn't stay with hers unless we were screaming them. 

I would probably have never noticed if we only had one of them, but hers had way more midrange. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    exhaust has massive effect on torque curve especially on an injected bike with ECU that monitors back pressure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4262
    Aye, an ECU reflash can help a lot though - I did one on my Bonnie recently after swapping over to a Zard 2:1 kit, it’s pretty straightforward once you’ve got the cables :)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
    edited June 2020
    The discussion about exhausts, and the effect on performance is interesting.

I went out yesterday on my Nuda for the first time after fitting a Leovince back box and, not not only does it sound awesome, it also seems to have given me something extra in performance terms.

That said, I've lost quite a bit of weight over the past months (140Kg -> 117kg) so maybe that had something to do with it as well!

R.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    p90fool said:
    Gulliver said:
    Gulliver said:
    Just bought a 2018 SV650 - immediately put a louder exhaust on it.

It's been pissing it down all weekend so can't go ride it

:angry: 
    Nice/not nice!

I went out for a bloody lovely ride yesterday with some guys from work. Twisty route from Sevenoaks down to Eastbourne for lunch on the beach, then across to Hastings and back to Sevenoaks via the A21. Not too much traffic around, and perfect weather here! Incident free too, which is always nice - though I did almost rear-end a van when I got distracted by some rather nice eye candy in a miniskirt...!
    Went for a short ride this evening into Birmingham City Centre, mainly so I could play in the tunnels!!!   New exhaust is already a solid investment - I may yank the baffles out, we'll see...

I wouldn't, we had a pair of SV650s for a while, my wife's was stock, mine was loud, and mine couldn't stay with hers unless we were screaming them. 

I would probably have never noticed if we only had one of them, but hers had way more midrange. 
    That's fair enough - I don't exactly want to give Old Bill more reasons to pull me over (that's what's preventing me from putting a smaller plate on the back)

When I fitted the new silencer, I did start the bike with no silencer and that was STUPID LOUD.    I loved it, not sure the neighbours did.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    UPDATE

Was giving the bike a good clean, and there's a big old '35kW ECU' sticker on the frame.  Something they forgot to mention in their advert...

I thought it felt down on power but I've not ridden a V-twin for a while and it felt like it had reasonable torque.   So now I have to wait for the dealer to get in touch with Suzuki and get me a new unrestricted ECU...   So it's sitting in my garage, I might pop out on it, but knowing it's restricted has taken a bit of the shine off the new toy...  :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The discussion about exhausts, and the effect on performance is interesting.

I went out yesterday on my Nuda for the first time after fitting a Leovince back box and, not not only does it sound awesome, it also seems to have given me something extra in performance terms.

That said, I've lost quite a bit of weight over the past months (140Kg -> 117kg) so maybe that had something to do with it as well!

R.
    It does make a huge difference .......when I used to race there was a standing joke about slower splits and lap times after lunch on practice days .......if they did a big pasta lunch there was a very pronounced difference
    the atmosphere makes a huge difference too......crisp cold air will give you much higher compression especially on carburettor engines compared to hot warm days ....more oxygen for combustion
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19524
    Gulliver said:
    UPDATE

Was giving the bike a good clean, and there's a big old '35kW ECU' sticker on the frame.  Something they forgot to mention in their advert...

I thought it felt down on power but I've not ridden a V-twin for a while and it felt like it had reasonable torque.   So now I have to wait for the dealer to get in touch with Suzuki and get me a new unrestricted ECU...   So it's sitting in my garage, I might pop out on it, but knowing it's restricted has taken a bit of the shine off the new toy...  :anguished: 
     I hope that as the bike was not as described, the dealer is footing the cost of the new ECU?
    Just a thought, it might be worthwhile returning the bike to the spec. & condition that you bought it in, before having any work done.
    That way you won't be giving them any reason to blame you if anything goes wrong " Oh, Sir fitted a non standard exhaust, that voids the warranty "  ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Well. Popped into the Triumph dealer at the weekend. Been jonesing for a bike again after a break of a year or so.

Put an order in for a Tiger 900 GT Pro.

The kicker? Delivery end of November.

Stupid Coronas.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34010
    Congrats- it looks like a big step up from the 800.
    Congrats @bridgehouse! Shame you won’t be able to enjoy it this summer, but good things come to those who wait. :)

I’m going for a test ride on the Scrambler 1200 next weekend. I’m 99% sure that’ll be the bike I buy in the spring, and 1% sure I’ll still want the Speed Twin. Either way, as much as I love my T100, it’s not cut out for the long distance rides I need to do over the next couple of years :(
    octatonic said:
    Congrats- it looks like a big step up from the 800.
    The sheer amount of kit you get on the gt pro for the money swung it for me. Electronically adjustable suspension, TPMS, heated seats, extra rider modes, front fogs, the Bluetooth connect package etc..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Congrats @bridgehouse! Shame you won’t be able to enjoy it this summer, but good things come to those who wait. :)

I’m going for a test ride on the Scrambler 1200 next weekend. I’m 99% sure that’ll be the bike I buy in the spring, and 1% sure I’ll still want the Speed Twin. Either way, as much as I love my T100, it’s not cut out for the long distance rides I need to do over the next couple of years :(
    I suspect a cheap hack will get bought in the next few weeks to keep me going and to use in the winter. I’ll probably pick up a dirt cheap ER-5 or something. There seems to be loads of low milers about for peanuts at the moment. 
    Yeah it’s a buyer’s market at the moment! That’s partly why I’m holding off on swapping mine around now, plus, by March I’ll be able to buy the new one outright without using finance etc, which is nice. I’m going to check out the Tiger 900 if I can too. The GT Pro is a stonking machine on paper, and while it doesn’t excite me in quite the same way as the modern classics, it’s certainly worth a good look.
    Yeah it’s a buyer’s market at the moment! That’s partly why I’m holding off on swapping mine around now, plus, by March I’ll be able to buy the new one outright without using finance etc, which is nice. I’m going to check out the Tiger 900 if I can too. The GT Pro is a stonking machine on paper, and while it doesn’t excite me in quite the same way as the modern classics, it’s certainly worth a good look.
    If you want adventure touring (road oriented) and lots of toys with a really cracking triple engine then the Tiger 900 really is a vast improvement on the 800, which was already a cracking bike. 

I really like the modern classics as well - I’d have an Enfield interceptor 650 as a second bike in a heartbeat - but I don’t have the cash for 2 new bikes!!
    I’ve just booked test rides on an Indian FTR1200, and a HD Forty-Eight. I don’t expect to like either one too much really, but figured it won’t hurt to try them.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34010
    I’ve just booked test rides on an Indian FTR1200, and a HD Forty-Eight. I don’t expect to like either one too much really, but figured it won’t hurt to try them.
    Try the Low Rider S too.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4885
    Clothing update:

A few weeks ago I was trawling here for advice on clothing. Just to be polite and finish off the feedback loop.... I bought an Oxford jacket and trouser combination - the Mondial. Textile, waterproof, laminated, light weight, comfy and seems like exceptional VFM. £450. My previous BMW suit was £1200, and only had waterproof liners, not a laminated outer surface. I can see where some of the cost savings are, but I was only looking for a pop-on solution until next Spring. We'll see how it goes. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32037
    Well now is a good time to test your gear, this is the coldest July riding I've had in 35 years!
    HD 48 is a pretty bike but it's not a proper Harley......they are quite small ;whenever I have ridden Sportsters my wife just laughs and says I look ridiculously big on it - they really lack power unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money and bring it up to stage 3 spec ......by the time you've done that and paid for it you may as well have bought a full size Harley.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom