Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4255
    Same sentiments here from me too - that sports-bike riding position with clip-ons is an instant no-go for me. I feel much more at home on a good roadster!

That said, I’m off to test a Husqy Vitpilen 701 on Saturday, and that’s got clip-ons too, so we’ll see how that goes!

I have a 701 Vitpilen. The front end disappears from view when riding - which is odd at first but then becomes a virtue. It’s ridiculously flickable. Suspension is firm but works well once you get properly moving. Take a decent test drive, it takes time to get used to.

However - it is a wristy riding position and for me there was too much weight on the wrists. I fitted some bar risers that are very discreet (not as high as the Svarty) and they have helped. I also put on the billet pegs - which are round rather than flat like the standard fit - and that has also helped. 

Brakes are good, engine is great, quick shifter and auto blip are great, seat is terrible after an hour or so (square edges cut into your thighs). Mirrors also predictably useless. 
    Well that wrecks it for me, I need something that I can happily sit on for four hours straight as I’ll be moving back to Devon next year but still coming back to London on the bike once a week or so. I’m More than happy to modify bikes as needed, but there’s only so much you can do to some bikes without ruining the aesthetics, resale, and/or viability!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    for that journey a BMW S 1000 r .....the upright adventure sport shape one would be perfect...think it's called sx ?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3453
    Give it a try anyway, who knows it might fit you :) 

I used to regularly ride Edinburgh - Marseille on a Guzzi 1100 sport, though, so enthusiasm and youthful dumbassery can make up for many an ergonomic deficit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I rode from London to Lyon on a TL 125 back in the late 1970s
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3453
    Just To add - I’ve been out on it again tonight as it happens, and on a more interesting road with leathers rather than textiles it was a bit more comfortable.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Dominic said:
    for that journey a BMW S 1000 r .....the upright adventure sport shape one would be perfect...think it's called sx ?
    It’s the XR. I’ve had both, and they’re capable but incredibly boring bikes. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Interesting........surely the nature of anything well engineered and comfortable is a bit "boring"
    having had so many non-boring bikes I've got old and fed up with mechanical issues ,discomfort, waiting for recovery by the roadside, cutting short touring hols to nurse a bike back home.........
    give me capable and boring any day
    Dominic said:
    Yeah, probably, but I’ve been riding naked bikes forever and can’t say I’m too fussed about having a “proper” tourer at this point in my life. I did the journey every week for the best part of a year on an XSR700, and I’ve done it a good few times since on the T100 without any trouble. All I’m really after is a bigger version of what I’ve got, and ideally a bit lighter too, so in that sense the Speed Twin seems ideal - I absolutely loved the test ride on it too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33994
    I've had an S1000R.
    Not sure I would say it was boring.

I now have an R1250 GSA which is probably the epitome of the old man bike but it is also very, very capable.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    octatonic said:
    I've had an S1000R.
    Not sure I would say it was boring.

I now have an R1250 GSA which is probably the epitome of the old man bike but it is also very, very capable.
    The S1KR is boring. Well engineered, extremely capable, but soulless. The KTM Superduke on the other hand.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33994
    edited July 2020
    I don't really agree but then I sort of think that lumps of metal don't have souls regardless of how much people wish them to have.

The S1000R was a great bike to own- it was fast, handled brilliantly and when I chucked a load of carbon at it I reckon it looked great too.
    I kinda think it is how you ride them, more than anything.
    The only reason I sold it was I went to Singapore- I am waiting to see what the new model looks like before I dip back into the hyper naked thing.

I realise people disagree with me about this but I think the same about guitars- it comes from the player, not the instrument.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4883
    edited July 2020
    octatonic said:
    I don't really agree but then I sort of think that lumps of metal don't have souls regardless of how much people wish them to have.

<snip a bit>

I realise people disagree with me about this but I think the same about guitars- it comes from the player, not the instrument.
    I agree with you on both counts. The bike/guitar is just an object. It's us that makes the difference. I think we've all got a movie running in our heads about the sort of rider and player we are. When we come across a motorcycle or a guitar that d fits into that movie, then we respond and feel differently about it. None of it is on a conscious level, but it's there all the same.

ObBike: Just added the Multistrada 950S to my list of possibles if I replace the 1200GS rather than get a second bike. I rode a 1200 Multistrada for a couple of days in 2012 and really liked it. The Ducati engine without the sports bike riding position.

See? I'm fitting the bike into my movie as I write! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1659
    edited July 2020
    Dominic said:
    I been riding a Diavel 1260s for the last month......really comfortable and handles so well given the wheel base length ; it's so stable in long sweeping bends ,motorway ramps /exits etc.......straight line torque curve is superb
    @TheBigDipper mentions his 916.......I hated mine......it felt like I was doing a handstand on the bars over the front wheel compared to the 'blade that preceded it .
    I rode a V4 Pannigale for about 400 miles earlier this summer .........it was actually very comfortable but still too severe on the wrists unless you're out on an A road but then again I'm 16 stone .
    Went out for a spin with a friend who bought a Diavel last week. Felt so much like a next generation VRod - I reckon they should owe Wille G royalties on the design concept

Only thing that's a bit off is the size of the tank/panels - from the top it's so big and wide it looks as if you're riding a SeaDoo.
    octatonic said:

<snip a bit>

I agree with you on both counts. The bike/guitar is just an object. It's us that makes the difference. I think we've all got a movie running in our heads about the sort of rider and player we are. When we come across a motorcycle or a guitar that d fits into that movie, then we respond and feel differently about it. None of it is on a conscious level, but it's there all the same.

ObBike: Just added the Multistrada 950S to my list of possibles if I replace the 1200GS rather than get a second bike. I rode a 1200 Multistrada for a couple of days in 2012 and really liked it. The Ducati engine without the sports bike riding position.

See? I'm fitting the bike into my movie as I write! 
    Truly great bikes, they were on my shortlist too but the only downside of them (for me) is the width - makes it pretty hard to filter compared to what I'm used to! 
    AK99 said:
    Dominic said:
    I been riding a Diavel 1260s for the last month......really comfortable and handles so well given the wheel base length ; it's so stable in long sweeping bends ,motorway ramps /exits etc.......straight line torque curve is superb
    @TheBigDipper mentions his 916.......I hated mine......it felt like I was doing a handstand on the bars over the front wheel compared to the 'blade that preceded it .
    I rode a V4 Pannigale for about 400 miles earlier this summer .........it was actually very comfortable but still too severe on the wrists unless you're out on an A road but then again I'm 16 stone .
    Went out for a spin with a friend who bought a Diavel last week. Felt so much like a next generation VRod - I reckon they should owe Wille G royalties on the design concept

Only thing that's a bit off is the size of the tank/panels - from the top it's so big and wide it looks as if you're riding a SeaDoo.
    That's the old model........the new 2019 onwards model is a completely different machine........totally different engine (same as the Pikes Peak multistrada ) MUCH FLATTER TORQUE CURVE and a totally redesigned chassis 
    -handles miles better too
    but you are absolutely right about the VRod ......it is very much in the same bloodline in feel but it handles 100 times better and is a much better engine
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Picked up a cheapo ER5 at the weekend. 

Back in two wheels after a shortish break. Actually didn’t feel like I’d been away at all. Did piss it down royally first ride out tho. 

Tiger 900 due end of sept/early Oct now apparently. 

This will be a decent winter hack for this year tho. Next year might swap it out for one of them Enfield Interceptors - had my eye on them for a bit now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31976
     I ran half a dozen of those when I ran a training school, great bikes. 
    They're not that exciting, but there's something about them where you forget the bike and just enjoy the ride. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    @bridgehouse wins the internet for the cleanest and neatest garage!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    rsvmark said:
    @bridgehouse wins the internet for the cleanest and neatest garage!
    It was a shitheap about 3 weeks ago!