Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• cm01cm01 Frets: 548
    There are a few nice looking 2016 MT03’s for sale locally for £1500 which look like a good option 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    Definitely at that price!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I'd get a Street Triple- it would be a lot more fun.
    They do a LAMS version.
    edited May 2020
    octatonic said:
    They do a LAMS version.
    Ooooh that’s an option ... Edit - just looked at prices and they’re out of my budget range.

There are also a few of these Braaap 250’s around - Chinese made, cheap and cheerful but would be fun while I’m learning 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376
    cm01 said:
    octatonic said:
    They do a LAMS version.
    Ooooh that’s an option ... Edit - just looked at prices and they’re out of my budget range.

There are also a few of these Braaap 250’s around - Chinese made, cheap and cheerful but would be fun while I’m learning 

That kind of thing is fun full stop to be honest, even after riding for many decades. 
    p90fool said:
    That kind of thing is fun full stop to be honest, even after riding for many decades. 
    I'm leaning towards this to be honest - I can pick one up for the equivalent of £1000 and have a blast on it
    I love the idea of the Braaap but didn't they have safety recalls?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5006
    On a change of topic...  I'm looking at buying another bike when the current situation eases a bit.

On one hand, I'm ready for a change. Since 2001, my main bike has been a BMW GS - a  2000 1150, then a 2005 1200  and now a 2013 1200 TE. I feel like riding something different, maybe a bit smaller and lighter. There are some obvious potential replacements to look at, but I'm also considering a second bike, as an alternative. There's nothing wrong with my GS - it's in decent nick and low mileage, so keeping it for a few more years isn't necessarily a problem - and I do like it, I'm just a bit bored by its all-round excellence. Upgrading to a 1250 GS doesn't appeal.

So, second bikes...  There are two courses of action that appeal. Here are the top contenders

1) Sports bike without the racer riding position (I've owned a 916 Ducati Strada and a Suzuki RG500 - that itch has been scratched, ta).

KTM 790 Duke, anyone? As yet, I've not sat on one and don't know anybody that has, but one of you lot may have. I loved the original 600cc Duke from way back when. 

2) Summer Sunday bimble machine with charm. I've never owned anything like that.

Royal Enfield Interceptor, maybe? No pressure to perform, just poodle along, swinging through the bends and enjoying the scenery.

OK, let's hear opinions, please!
    On a change of topic...  I'm looking at buying another bike when the current situation eases a bit.

On one hand, I'm ready for a change. Since 2001, my main bike has been a BMW GS - a  2000 1150, then a 2005 1200  and now a 2013 1200 TE. I feel like riding something different, maybe a bit smaller and lighter. There are some obvious potential replacements to look at, but I'm also considering a second bike, as an alternative. There's nothing wrong with my GS - it's in decent nick and low mileage, so keeping it for a few more years isn't necessarily a problem - and I do like it, I'm just a bit bored by its all-round excellence. Upgrading to a 1250 GS doesn't appeal.

So, second bikes...  There are two courses of action that appeal. Here are the top contenders

1) Sports bike without the racer riding position (I've owned a 916 Ducati Strada and a Suzuki RG500 - that itch has been scratched, ta).

KTM 790 Duke, anyone? As yet, I've not sat on one and don't know anybody that has, but one of you lot may have. I loved the original 600cc Duke from way back when. 

2) Summer Sunday bimble machine with charm. I've never owned anything like that.

Royal Enfield Interceptor, maybe? No pressure to perform, just poodle along, swinging through the bends and enjoying the scenery.

Get a Hyper naked or a T100/T120 Boneville.

You can get a T100 for under £5k in decent nick.
    Or a T120 if you want better brakes, engine etc.

Hyper naked/Streetfightery thing- S1000r, Tuono, MT10, Street/Speed Triple, Ducati Monster, KTM Duke of varying sizes.

It all depends on budget of course, but you could get a 14/15 plate S1000r for 8kish.
    Huge fun, amazing engine, brilliant brakes.

Or a older Street Triple for under 5k.

In your position I'd get a T100 or a Street Triple.
    Or both.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20585
    cm01 said:
    octatonic said:
    They do a LAMS version.

Looks like it could be a bunch of fun & forgiving of the occasional 'off'. Also looks like a hipster owns it, check the headlight lens  ;)
    @TheBigDipper ;

I’d echo @octatonic - a T100/120 would be ideal for that. Also check out the Ducati Scrambler if you want something lightweight and incredibly easy to ride though.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20585
    ^  "Also check out the Ducati Scrambler if you want something "  that will give you a sore arse every time you ride it.
    Lovely bike but the stock seat is awful after a few minutes.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168

First opinion is that you need second and third bikes! You're describing very different types here; one is a leisurely vehicle for relaxing two-wheeled pleasure, the other is leaning towards satisfying the devil on your shoulder and putting a massive grin on your face, which is what most KTMs seem to be designed to do better than most. Not ridden the 790 Duke, only the 990 SD and 1290 GT & SDR, which are increasingly bonkers and entertaining machines and encourage lunacy and object to sensible riding. How about a 939 Hypermotard? I can vouch for the engine as it's the same as in the 950 Multistrada. I can only imagine it would be ridiculous fun, with a bit of refinement over the KTM. Price is the only downside. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16671
    BMW R9T
    Classic looks, retro style, mild 1200 cc ,very small, light and easy to ride but handles great
    if you're coming from a GS it's a nice transition
    Thanks for your thoughts so far, everyone. Please keep 'em coming!

Not considered the T100/120, so I'll have a think. I've already mentally rejected the Speed Twin as a second bike - although I'll still look at one if I do decide to sell the GS. Along with the F900XR and Tiger 900 (as two smaller, lighter quasi-direct replacements for the GS). Maybe a Multistrada as well - the smaller one. I didn't like the engine on the bigger one I rode a few years ago. Of all things, it was vibey through the seat. My 916 was smooth as anything once past 3000 rpm, so it was a bit of a surprise. 

I may well try and get a ride on a Hypermotard. 

Ducati Scrambler doesn't work for me - but a nice Monster S2 (a bit old, but maybe...) may well work.
    @TheBigDipper - if the Speed Twin (not Street Twin!) is remotely in budget then you should really give one a try - they’re bloody fantastic roadsters!
    Dominic said:
    BMW R9T
    Classic looks, retro style, mild 1200 cc ,very small, light and easy to ride but handles great
    if you're coming from a GS it's a nice transition
    You're right, and I think they're decent, but if I get a second bike, I'll be looking for something different. Another boxer isn't what I'd want. If I change the GS for something else, I'm more likely to get another all-rounder - hence the FX900R or Tiger 900 as potential replacements. 
    @TheBigDipper - if the Speed Twin (not Street Twin!) is remotely in budget then you should really give one a try - they’re bloody fantastic roadsters!
    It's in budget if I sell the GS. It's not, if I keep the GS and buy a second bike that's completely different. It's on the list to ride if I sell. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    edited May 2020
    My old Suzuki GS chop  from around 95 . I stopped riding around 2013 could no longer afford it and preferred to spend any spare cash on guitars etc 
    So, I pick this up next week ... 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom