• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    http://www.alpha-dot.co.uk/

There's another one.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    It was already on my bike when I bought it. Anything that might deter the thieving little scrotes is worth it I guess.
    Coupla things.

1.  I'm not sure I trust the claim that the Police are on the case when it comes to bike theft (or much else come to that).  If these systems worked, there would not be 25-30k bike thefts in the UK (EVERY YEAR!)

2.  While I understand the modern commercial model of 'ongoing revenues' I'm not sure I want to pay 'a subscription'.

I am however as always open to being convinced.
    Smartwater definitely works in the commercial world. I worked for BT and they use it to tag their cables. Cable theft was at a ridiculous level until they started using Smartwater. Once scrapyards started to realise that cable was marked and traceable they often refused to handle it.
    Realistically bike theft will always exist because the things are relatively easy to steal and move away quickly. All you can really do is make it more difficult to steal in the first place or make it traceable if it does get nicked.
    It is unbelievable (literally) how the Establishment (The Man, the Apparat, the Government) cannot seem to get on top of these simple, classic scams. Everyone knows how it's done and who's doing it, so WTF is going on ? Explains why people cheered when that little twerp fried himself nicking Network Rail cable, and why the farmer who shot the 'travelling' burglar in the back is something of a national and local hero. Is the Police Force ultimately a big con ? 
    boogieman said:
    The colour does look great, I wouldn't change it. The cans would look better chromed IMO but hey it's your bike. ;)
    Stupid thing is they were chromed - paid extra for the blacking - doh! Still, cheap enough to replace down the line.
    Fusionista;175564" said:
    It is unbelievable (literally) how the Establishment (The Man, the Apparat, the Government) cannot seem to get on top of these simple, classic scams. Everyone knows how it's done and who's doing it, so WTF is going on ? Explains why people cheered when that little twerp fried himself nicking Network Rail cable, and why the farmer who shot the 'travelling' burglar in the back is something of a national and local hero. Is the Police Force ultimately a big con ? 
    They solved the cable stealing by forcing scrapyards to stop giving out cash payments. Once money was only available by traceable means the thefts dropped dramatically. Such a simple solution, surprising nobody thought of it sooner. I suspect the real reason these cons or scams don't get stopped is simply down to economics. Infinitely cheaper to live with high crime figures than provide proper policing levels.

• midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    edited March 2014
    @fusionista that is a really really lovely job- great work. Have a wow from me.
    I had a lovely ride yesterday morning first thing. Sun was shining, roads were empty and I spent about an hour and half on the twisties in the new forest just working on my cornering - getting the speed and gear right before turning in and staying relaxed and smooth throughout. Made some good progress and am feeling a bit more confident about leaning he bike over.

I wanted to get out today but a rare hangover situation combined with the miserable weather means I think I shall leave it to fight another day.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    nice bike mate.
    What is the exact model number?

I like the KTM/Ducati/Scaffolding look of it- not seen a Suzuki look like that before.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    'Twould appear that it's a rather nice "curvy" SV650N with a twin-spotlight conversion.  They had the nice Ducati-esque tubular steel frame.  My pointy 2004 bike doesn't have that.  Candy Grand blue too I believe, the best colour!

Lovely bike mate enjoy yourself.
    Yes, I like the spare/skeletal look. Nice.
    Yes, it's a k1 curvy. Actually an sv650s but the previous owner dropped it and damaged the fairing. Rather than replace it (hellish expensive) he took it all off. I really like the look of it, and there's less scope for damage if I drop it.

He also replaced the suspension - it's got a gsxr front end I believe.  And a scorpion pipe.  Sounds fab!  And he put a digital tach on it, which I'm ambivalent about really-I've got the old one so I might swap it back at some point.

I brought a friend with me when I went to see it who is a bike mechanic and used to run a bike workshop and he gave it the once over and thumbs up.  He reckons I done good.... For £800 ;)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    Nice bike, great price, I like the naked look, it`s smart just not the wind blast, how effective is the screen?

@midiglitch. Nice looking bike, great colour too!
    Thanks guys.  I'm really loving the bike-gives me a grin from ear to ear every time I ride it.

@tone71 not very effective unless you're right down with your chest on the tank, and I'm not doing much of that just yet!  

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    edited March 2014
    Neat.
    I am seriously considering buying this bike if the price can be made to be right.