Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    edited September 2017
    @roundthebend Congrats! 

Just got back from a 7 day tour taking in parts of France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany. All I did was ride all day, every day. Some nights I camped, some in hotels. Totally knackered. Highlights were the Saint Bernard Pass into Italy, the Sustan Pass in Switzerland and riding the B500 in Germany which I haven't done since 2013. One thing is evident after this trip. I fucking love my K1200S, if it were a woman I'd marry it.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I passed my theory test last week. Looking at finances and weather now to decide when to take the next step.
    My mate recently got his licence and his first bike is a Harley Davidson Iron 883 XL. I never thought I'd fancy a Harley, but that is a stunning machine for not much money.
    Buy your bike during the winter months if you can, real bargains can be had. Putting the HD to one side, what type of bike would you really like? I've always been an advocate for buying the bike you want regardless of what size it is. Throttles go forward as well as back, it's the same with cars. It's the rider who is in control. There seems to be a lot of  scare-mongering with riding large capacity bikes in my opinion, largely reinforced by the biking media. It seems the done thing is to buy a 600cc bike after passing your test. Within 12 months you'd want something else anyway so why not cut out the middle man and get what you want, unless it is a 600cc bike or a HD you want of course! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Great photos @cruxiform, looks like an awesome trip.
    The bike I'm most excited about is the Triumph Street Twin. Love those classic looks, and it's a comfortable and confidence-inspiring bike to sit on.
    Funds and time are tight so I'm thinking I'll hire a 125 for practise just now, and keep my eyes peeled for a bargain over winter.
    Though I think there's a reasonable chance that I'll just get a new Street Twin early next year as a treat...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great photos @cruxiform, looks like an awesome trip.
    The bike I'm most excited about is the Triumph Street Twin. Love those classic looks, and it's a comfortable and confidence-inspiring bike to sit on.
    Funds and time are tight so I'm thinking I'll hire a 125 for practise just now, and keep my eyes peeled for a bargain over winter.
    Though I think there's a reasonable chance that I'll just get a new Street Twin early next year as a treat...
    Thanks man, it was epic. I've just looked at the Street Twin, looks like a nice classic bike with the all important modern touches. I've found what works for me with bikes is go with your heart, not your head. Probably not the best advice but it's served me well so far!
  • I had a 4 hour session on Sunday on a Yamaha XJ6 (600cc). My objective was to see if I enjoyed the bigger bike, and to let the instructor assess my skill and advise what steps to take next. Being self-employed limits me to weekend sessions mostly, so I was hoping to avoid a 5 day course.

Despite dropping the bike twice - once at a roundabout because I decided to stop a bit late, and wobbled a bit, and the other time during the emergency stop because I didn't quite stop so I wobbled a bit - the instructor was very impressed with my riding so recommended that I book MOD1 and MOD2 for November, then just have one more training session to iron out a few wrinkles. e.g. the wobbling as I stop!

I've actually taken really well to it which is a surprise after my first few tasters left me nervous. I think being an ex-driving instructor, a frequent cyclist in London, and having a general interest in the 'craft' of save driving/riding has been a big help. It's all about staying ahead of the game, getting yourself in the right position, speed, and gear, well before any danger develops. Slow control is tricky but I'm getting the hang of that, so it's now just about nailing that "should I stop, should I go" control.

Suppose I better start making a list of bikes that my wife can buy me for Xmas.....
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    ... and the other time during the emergency stop because I didn't quite stop so I wobbled a bit 

Funny story about my actual bike test...

The examiner took me to a quiet residential area and asked me to drive to the end of the street, turn left, follow the road round, turn left (back into the street), and accelerate to a safe speed and at some point he would raise his hand and ask me to stop as quickly as possible. Off I went, down to the end of the street, turned left, followed the road round, turned left back into the street, and accelerated towards the examiner, who was about two-thirds of the way down the street. Then a dog ran out in front of me and I had to slam all on. I locked up the backend which swung out to about 45 degrees, I held it and the bike flicked back straight as I came to a halt. A voice came in my ear "Please come down to where I am, I won't ask you to stop again".

R.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @robinbowes ;
    I thought you were going to say that you fell off while out of sight, then came back round and continued to ride perfectly. I assume you passed?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3119
    @robinbowes ;
    I thought you were going to say that you fell off while out of sight, then came back round and continued to ride perfectly. I assume you passed?
    Heh, no, I used to race (motocross) as a kid so I'm comfortable with a bike bucking around under me.

Yes, I passed. :)

Another funny story...

As I mentioned, I have been riding from a fairly early age. I had a 50cc (FS1M) at 16, and a 125 (CB125) at 17, then I passed my car test and didn't ride bikes for a few years. Fast-forward to 1997 and the Direct Access Scheme arrived. I didn't want to have to take multiple tests or be restricted as to what I could ride so I decided to take my bike test before DAS began. I didn't have a bike, so I used a local club that leased me a 125 and took me through CBT and my test. After passing my test, my instructor asked me if I would ride the 125 back to his house where it was stored, and he would give me a lift home. I forget what he was riding but I remember it was a sports bike with big fat tyres (CB750?) and my 125 had square-profile Avon Ditchseekers. I was following him through Bolton town centre and I found myself subconsciously copied his riding style and, as we turned left at traffic lights outside the bus depot, I banked over and accelerated. Well, a combination of box junction, diesel spills, and moist surface meant that my back end stepped out as I opened the throttle. I jabbed my foot down, speedway style, and stayed upright, but as I straightened up I bounced over the kerb of the central reservation and found myself riding on the wrong carriageway into oncoming traffic! Luckily, there was nothing immediately in my path and I cut back over to the right side of the road and continued on my way.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    Bit of a necro bump but the Dakar rally kicks off shortly and I found a Brit who is doing the race and vlogging each day. Here is a link to episode 1 and good luck to him!

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 198
    Thanks for posting that, enjoyed it and the others on youtube!
  • Hey all, my XSR700 was taken off of my drive (Greenwich, London) last night - usual story, they cut the chain and left the pieces. Must have gotten past my alarm and immobiliser.

Anyway, it's been reported to the police and insurance - I don't have high hopes, but please keep an eye out for a forest green Yamaha XSR700, RV17 XZX. It's got some noticeable mods:
    • Akrapovic exhaust
    • Pirelli Diablo Rossi III rear tyre
    • Green anodised touring footpegs
    • Short gunmetal & green levers
    • Silver front number-plate
    • Aftermarket aluminium front mud-guard
    • Aluminium side-panels
    • Bar-end caps
    • Go-Pro mount on brake fluid box
    • TomTom RAM mount on handlebars

Speedo will read ~9,900 miles. I took this baby all over Europe back in easter so I'm gutted to see her gone 

Pictures here:

https://i.imgur.com/YSVC11c.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitargeek62 gutted for you mate, I saw your post on a bike specific forum too. Although I don't live in London, this is one reason I didn't go for a bike that I would really love. I just couldn't relax unless it was really secure, and that's almost impossible.
    Fingers crossed you get it back.

I passed my test at the end of November and have just bought a cheap but fairly tidy Suzuki Bandit 600S (faired). It's pretty nice to ride, though the weather isn't ideal just now.
  • Cheers @roundthebend, appreciated. This was pretty much a special treat to myself after a divorce the year prior, so particularly cutting in that respect, but at least it was just material loss rather than any physical harm etc. I'll be replacing with like-for-like, but then fitting a tracker this time and as much deterrent as possible - ideally a claymore mine under the seat for anyone who tries to bypass the immobiliser.

My partner is also slightly aggrieved as they didn't touch her bike that was also there with much less security.... I'm not sure who'd want to nick a 15-year old CG125 though! ;)
  • Time for an Almax Extreme....
  • I bought a serious chain from Brindley Chains who sponsor the Motorbike Forum. It's a Pewag 14x52 or something. I wrote a review on TMBF. Fairly hefty thing, but it's only a deterrent.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    I bought a serious chain from Brindley Chains who sponsor the Motorbike Forum. It's a Pewag 14x52 or something. I wrote a review on TMBF. Fairly hefty thing, but it's only a deterrent.
    There’s a YouTube channel where some guys showed how they broke chains with a massive pair of bolt cutters. They could get through anything, even the thickest hardened chain. Like you say, ultimately they’re only a deterrent but it still takes a lot of effort and it would need to be done pretty quickly so nobody noticed. Plus getting past the alarm and immobiliser takes some skill and knowledge. Some really determined bastard has had you bike away.... really sorry to hear it.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It turns out they stole my neighbours bike from the same drive the night before mine too - they didn’t know until I checked if they’d heard my alarm at all!

We’ve now moved my partners bike to somewhere a bit more secure until we can figure out something more permanent.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    I keep my bike in a locked garage with a ground anchor and a heavy Abus chain and I’m still delighted to find it’s still there every time I go in. Sadly, if they really want it, they’ll nick it. I guess having it out of sight is a good start though, assuming you’ve got the space. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    @guitargeek62 ;

Just seen this, sorry to hear the fuckers had it away with your pride and joy. Sounds like you took the right precautions. Sorry to say, no chain in the world will stop the determined scrote from having a bike away. I keep my bike outside under a cover with 2 ‘good’ chains through 2 anchors. Even then, I know it’s only a visual deterrent.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    @guitargeek62 Sorry to hear about the theft mate. Not the same level but I had a customised mountain bike stolen many years ago that I chained up whilst shopping in Iceland. Came out and it was gone. To say I was angry doesn’t really cover it. Hate to think how I’d feel if it was my motorbike.

Watched a few vids on YouTube recently of bike thefts and as @cruxiform says, not much will stop a determined scrote sadly. I’d second the claymore mine option, or some sort of high voltage electricfied security device to fry potential thieving scum. Is CCTV an option? Or is the bike parked too far away? Mind you I guess thieves would likely be wearing helmets, so not necessarily a great option.