Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2016 Build a slide instrument challenge - Who is in?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• chickenbonejohnchickenbonejohn Frets: 188
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the mention....you can get loads of parts and materials on my online shop..and you can message or email me for advice. They call me "The Godfather Of The Cigar Box Guitar", I've built quite a few cigarbox guitars, (nearly 900) and taught over 2000 people how to make and play their own cigar box guitar, and  sold  hundreds of kits, so I do know a bit about it!  But remember,  cigar box guitars aren't only about slide. I'm new on here so hope it's OK to post a couple of links to my stuff.

https://vimeo.com/148077663

http://chickenbonejohn.myshopify.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome chicken bone John. Met you at Leeds guitar show last year. ..great fella to talk to and his playing and guitars have mojo <:-P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16931
     But remember,  cigar box guitars aren't only about slide. 
    quite right - although this challenge is, so it seemed t make sense to suggest a CBG as an easy way in :)
  • More than just a slide guitar..but fairly oddball. Here's one I made earlier..quite a way back in fact, made from a Honda kart racing engine. I had some spare parts in the garage...so I put this together. The choke on the carburetor switches from bridge to neck pickup.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, I'm up for making something.  Was going to be a 3-string cigar box, but having been given a kit recently (one of the cheap ones the Works were selling) I've now got one of those, and it's surprisingly good so I don't really want to gut it for parts.  

So I reckon I'll gave a go at building some sort of 5-string open-tuned machine, with a magnetic pickup, so may turn out with or without a box, not sure yet.
  • I might be in on this, need an excuse to use my shiny new saw, drill and dremel :)
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121
    I'm planning to build a challenge guitar with a total budget (at the moment) of £70, which I'm including in the challenge on sevenstring.org (they're running a Home depot challenge build from 1st Feb) - it's a Les Paul junior style with one P-90. Are you guys happy for me to include it as part of this challenge too? It would be cool for slide :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16931
    I don't see an issue with it as long as we get a build thread here ;)
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121
    Cool, thanks Wez, I'll start a build thread now :)