La Cabronita build (complete)

What's Hot
SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
edited January 2016 in Making & Modding
I bought this body off @DrBob a while back. It needed a bit of filling but nothing major.
I couldn't find a pickup for the original rout so I decided to rout it for a p90.
Not having a template was a bit of a pain so I did it by hand with the dremmel router attachment. It's not 100% but it's not half bad considering.
I sprayed it in a metallic light blue that has a hint of pearl, in some light it takes on a gold tint. It needs a few weeks to fully harden before final Polish but it turned out okay considering I had to do it outside in this cold.
I am not sure what to do about a pickguard yet, I wanted an ivory one but can't find one at a decent price so may have to make one. Pretty happy with it so far. The neck is a maple one on it but would need some taken off the heel. I also have a rosewood that I just reshaped the head on shaved the neck and did a full refret. Not decided which will go on yet.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    That looks gorgeous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    That's going to be a seriously classy guitar
    Stop crying, start buying
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Skodadad said:
    I am not sure what to do about a pickguard yet
    Do nothing.

Else you've got to find something to match the colour of the p'up cover.  White would look bad against the ivory cover.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited January 2016
    Thanks guys, I'm actually thinking about clear plexiglass @TTony, just because I can get it from b&q. Wish I could afford to get a chrome one made.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Clear would work - good thought.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    Today I decided to salvage some plastic from an led TV screen for a pickguard . Most lcds have at least one layer of rigid plastic inside. It has an almost lens like quality with one rough side that's opaque silver and one smooth side that's clear. It's semi transparent and though it looked OK in transparent silver I decided to mist the back with gold spray paint to bring it in line with the pickup. Unfortunately the template I got online doesn't match the body lines (more likely vice versa) so may have to reshape it slightly. Although the photo doesn't show it you can see some of the blue through it. I have a 24" square if it left so may try a few more designs before I drill it. It's a very flexible plastic and easy to cut with scissors yet very strong.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice build and lovely colour. .well done mate :-)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited January 2016
    Looking very good from here, @Skodadad
  • +1.... Top job!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited January 2016
    Thanks guys, really cant decide on the pickguard, am thinking a full sized tele one with some kind of swoop from top left corner to right bottom leaving the neck joint section in. I think I prefer the maple neck but that has no ledge on the last fret meaning ideally a pickguard should go up to the edge. The Rosewood has an overhang but the colour seems to strong against the muted blue.
  • Maple neck and maybe no pick guard ...nice and simple. ...:-)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    marktheharp;933859" said:
    Maple neck and maybe no pick guard ...nice and simple. ...:-)
    What he said. Looks great dude.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Cheers guys, hit a little snag this morning. After using some micromesh on the body last night am reasonably happy with the finish so decided to put some string through ferrules I had in. Unfortunately both sets were too small, they sat slightly below the lip. Not to be be beaten I decided to tap them in and added some tuner ferrules over the top. They sit proud obviously but not having any cash to spend on it was the only option right now.
    My make do and mend attitude at its worse.

http://i63.tinypic.com/35191mw.jpg
    edited January 2016
    Well she's alive! Have a bit of fret buzz that wasn't there the last time I strung it up which is confusing. Eyeing up the frets they all seem fine none look high. Guess my Diy refret never went as well as I thought. Had to really raise the bridge for now while I shim or reprofile the neck joint :( it's fine on open chords but anything beyond the tenth fret buzzes.
    Electrics are all in though and it sounds nice enough in a strat sort of way. Will Polish it and revisit setup next week but for now I've had enough of it. :)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2en3qf9.jpg
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    It might be that you've over-tightened the truss rod and go too much relief in the neck. That can cause playablity issues higher up the neck.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    edited January 2016
    Duh, I still had the masking tape shim on the neck from the Tele body I had it on
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2016
    That looks lovely, I also liked the orange one a lot.
    edited January 2016
    Cheers @Underdog, just finished the head transfer on the orange one. It's not the right one but looks OK. My wall is looking a bit Disney

http://i63.tinypic.com/2e6hsa1.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    OK I really like the colour on the orange one, suits it perfectly and the guard compliments it too.
    Needs a good polish yet @Underdog but getting there. Want first dibs on it when ready? :)