Next question. Floyds.

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2083
Any reason I wouldn't like them?

Never had a guitar with one. Like the look of the Charvel San Dimas or So-Cal.

Marmite? Shite? Great? Hit me, daddios!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    marmite
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    edited December 2013
    Haha - well, I'm an expert on disliking Floyds!    :D

For me, the biggest issue is the feeling of being 'locked out' of the guitar (yeah, I know, that's the whole point) when you want to tune. Tuning at the bridge with my right hand feels all wrong.

If I really had a need for a locking vibrato system I'd probably get over it. But I don't.  ;)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7559
    edited December 2013
    Marmite.

But they're amazing :) good fun, but much, much harder to use than a normal vibrato, even when set up correctly. You need to learn to be musical with it, whereas anyone can make a 6 point sound great.

Which is why I'm going back to a 6 point :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I Loves them.

No issues with tuning stability (unless the strings are cattle-trucked), just make sure they're properly stretched before you lock the nut down.

If you're not sure leave the trem arm off..

If you use/like a modern 2 point Fender-style trem with block saddles (not bent-steel) then it'll feel pretty similar under your picking hand.

Also, once you get used to changing the strings, and have done it a couple of times, it won't take any longer than a non-Floyd guitar to do.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2459
    Pretty much marmite, yeah. If you play music that needs a floyd (or at least would benefit from one), they're great, it's hard to do some of those tricks without one. If you don't you'll probably get annoyed with the extra hassle for little discernible gain.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Definitely Marmite. A lot of people (mostly the type who post on sites like Ultimate Guitar) rant and rave 'till they're blue in the face about how terrible Floyds are, when really the problems they're having is that they simply don't know how they work. Like @mike_l says, once you're familiar with the re-string/setup routine, they're no hassle. Unless you get a horrible cheap single-locking type.

I like them for how they feel to play. Palm muting feels smoother and string bends feel better. All IMO, obviously. You're best off having a play with one, although I'd bet if you've never had one before it'll feel a bit strange at first.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2083
    edited December 2013
    Interesting.

Thank. I'll have a play but those Charvel necks! Wow.
    edited December 2013

I think the neck is more important than the bridge in a guitars playability. Don't worry so much about what's under your picking hand, unless it's actually uncomfortable for you to play.

Oh yeah, the Charvel necks are very, very comfortable, and easy to play

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• carloscarlos Frets: 3664
    I like them a lot but always felt the pulling on them was unnecessary, so set them up so they only go forward, i.e. pitch down not up. This makes them much much easier to set up too. Tuning stability should be fantastic if set up well. Essentially you are playing a head less guitar and the less components that go into tuning it the less likely it is something goes wrong.
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    I have mine floating so I can do gentle vibrato, or dive bombs, or just depress by a tone, or go up momentarily instead of doing a string bend, or of course do a ping warble ruler-off-the-desk purr flutter, something which I find myself doing increasingly often.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    I hate them for many reasons but I understand how they work and why they are perfect for some players.

There is no more tuning-stable system, period - not even most hardtails! - and no trem with a greater range, so if those things are the most important to you then the other things don't matter as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    I have mine floating so I can do gentle vibrato, or dive bombs, or just depress by a tone, or go up momentarily instead of doing a string bend, or of course do a ping warble ruler-off-the-desk purr flutter, something which I find myself doing increasingly often.

I taught you everything I know didn't I? (didn't take long....)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    As a personal preference ... and having had one on my V for over a month ... I much prefer a Stetsbar.
    Tuning stability (given I've now fitted a graphite nut) is as good as any non 'locked-off' system. Range is an octave down and a third up ... okay so it doesn't go 'string flappy' but that's a tired move really. Action is lighter and more natural feeling to me than a Floyd, and sustain and 'feel' seems to have been maintained.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TheGuitarWeasel;99881" said:
    As a personal preference ... and having had one on my V for over a month ... I much prefer a Stetsbar.

Tuning stability (given I've now fitted a graphite nut) is as good as any non 'locked-off' system. Range is an octave down and a third up ... okay so it doesn't go 'string flappy' but that's a tired move really. Action is lighter and more natural feeling to me than a Floyd, and sustain and 'feel' seems to have been maintained.
    What's the verdict on the graphite nut? I'm not sure whether to get one of those or a bone nut.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3306
    Marmite. Definitely marmite. 

I love marmite actually,  but Floyd? Nope not for me I've decided after recently buying one.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    edited December 2013
    I love them with two springs and next to no tension, bends feel easy and the whole jeff beck accurate trem usage is much much easier. However, they look crap 
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Deijavoo said:

I love marmite actually,  but Floyd? Nope not for me I've decided after recently buying one.

Did you get the trem on your Rasmus fixed? :) 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;99881" said:

What's the verdict on the graphite nut? I'm not sure whether to get one of those or a bone nut.
    The V has an extreme string angle in the 1st and 6th  strings because of it's head shape ... so a graphite nut was more suited in that case. I think they do change the tone slightly ... but the benefits with a trem on a V outweigh the disadvantages. I would chose bone for a six point Strat ... unless you are going to go bonkers :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3306
    Hymnal;99936" said:
    Deijavoo said:

Did you get the trem on your Rasmus fixed? :) 
    Not yet dude. Pesky Christmas getting in the way. Do you have any other guitars you might want to trade? That tele does look delicious mind..... ARGH!!
  • TheGuitarWeasel;99945" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

TheGuitarWeasel;99881" said:As a personal preference ... and having had one on my V for over a month ... I much prefer a Stetsbar.

The V has an extreme string angle in the 1st and 6th  strings because of it's head shape ... so a graphite nut was more suited in that case. I think they do change the tone slightly ... but the benefits with a trem on a V outweigh the disadvantages. I would chose bone for a six point Strat ... unless you are going to go bonkers :)
    It'll be a prs, but not a crazy angled headstock, so sounds like bone is the way to go. Thanks anyway!

I will be going bonkers, but I use vaseline on my nuts.

Wait, what?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom