Next question. Floyds.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    mike_l said:
    A divebomb once in a set is enough

eh?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    mike_l said:
    A divebomb once in a set is enough

eh?
    Did I confuse set with bar again? My bad
    :)>-

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    Lol, indeed that's why it's called a whammy bar.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader

mike_l said:
     A divebomb once in a set is enough (even for a Floyd nut case)

I do the odd one nowadays with this ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Bidley said:
    There are more reasons you'd like a Floyd other than those.
    Agreed, but those are the really big ones where no other system really will do the job (with the possible exception of the Steinbergers, and some Kahlers although there are other problems with those) and hence are the ones where having the Floyd trumps having the issues with them.
    mike_l said:

I'd guesstimate it starts with a K.......

Or possibly a B.............

Starts with a B :).

I just thought I'd mention it because it's so much the "anti-Floyd" it's rather ironic that it can out-Floyd it for one thing ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

Starts with a B :).

I just thought I'd mention it because it's so much the "anti-Floyd" it's rather ironic that it can out-Floyd it for one thing ;).

Yes, but once the strings are hard against the frets is there any need to go higher?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    Yes, but once the strings are hard against the frets is there any need to go higher?
    The B does not pull the strings hard against the frets ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    mike_l said:
    The B does not pull the strings hard against the frets ;).

In that case the action is too high and the guitar is a waste of time
    >:D< :P

hehehe!!!

:(|)

No… the B does not change the action at all.

Or if anything, if you pull up that hard the action will go *up* since the neck will bend forward under the string tension. So that's two reasons you can pull up further with the B than any other trem!

Have you got it yet? ;)

ICBM said:
    No… the B does not change the action at all.

Or if anything, if you pull up that hard the action will go *up* since the neck will bend forward under the string tension. So that's two reasons you can pull up further with the B than any other trem!

Have you got it yet? ;)

There's a good pissabolity...........

(although you may need to learn to spot when I'm taking the piss..................)

edited December 2013
    mike_l said:

(although you may need to learn to spot when I'm taking the piss..................)

Thought you might be! But wasn't sure with the last one.

I do think it's really funny that the most primitive trem of all, the one which is hated by most people into Floyds and who want a huge bend range, should turn out to be the one which actually has the most range… even if almost all of it is in the wrong direction :).

To be serious for a minute, you can actually set a guitar with a B up for a really low action, exactly because it *doesn't* pull the strings against the frets on an up-bend. The same should be true of the cam-action Kahlers - but the problem is that the neck does move backward as you divebomb, which then causes the loose strings to flap against the frets. Overall, the Floyd solves both problems best by raising the saddles as the strings go slack.

:D

Not Kahler's horrible, evil things can't stand them, I find them really uncomfortable.

The only bridges I like are Floyds (Obviously), the Ibanez variation, and the modern 2-post Fender type (with block-type saddles), any others I find hurt my picking hand. That's primarily why I go for Floyds, rather than the tricks that can be performed (an added bonus)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2459
    plus aesthetically they look horrible: like a toy 'Britons' combine harvester nailed to the arse end of your guitar :)
    I think they look great on the right type of guitar. A superstrat doesn't really look right (to me) without one- at least, those 80s-style superstrats. Conversely I hate how one looks on a les paul, for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Agree with Dave_Mc too. Also they look wrong on 21 fret guitars. To me.

Pointy/Fender head + 22 frets (minimum) and Strat/Explorer/Randy Rhoads - V shapes good

3-a-side heads Les Paul/SG/Tele bodies - bad, very bad.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2459
    Agreed about the 21 fret thing (and the body shapes/headstock thing). I think they look good on those Charvel-style teles too (like in the old USA pro mod series). But it does have to be a "supertele" type thing with humbuckers etc., it'd look weird on a vintage-style tele.