DIY SG Build thread (mission aborted, but now back on course!)

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
edited April 2016 in Making & Modding
So last year for my birthday my lovely girlfriend bought me a DIY guitar kit, an sg shape, as I fancied something with humbuckers and a shorter scale neck for jazz playing. I've had quite a few disasters with it in the past which I've moaned about in various threads, but as the finishing of the wood part is almost done I thought I'd restart a build thread to show some photos.

The various stages of this have (briefly) been thus:

1. I tried first of all to stain it with wood wax, but didn't read the description correctly and the body had already been primed for paint, so the varnish stuff didn't really stick. So I had to sand it all off

2. I then decided I'd try and spray paint it, so got the primer on, it dried, hanging on my washing line in the garden. I put the copper layer on, started drying....then it started raining. So I had to bring it inside quickly, had nowhere to put it, so I wrecked the paint job lying it down. So I had to strip it again.

3. So I went back to varnishing it, decided it looked crap, stripped it again....

4. And spray painted it again, much better this time, copper on the front, black on the back and sides. I let it dry for a few days, brought it in to fit the rest of it together....and oh no, the bridge pickup cavity is not wide enough, so the guard goes on at an angle, and I can't fit the bridge i the holes.

So after a while of wondering what to do and how to fix it, I finally managed to get the shop to respond to my complaints about the kit not fitting together.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments