DIY SG Build thread (mission aborted, but now back on course!)

What's Hot

Comments

• Danke schön, Dein Gluck brauche ich vielmal...

Ich machete einmal Urlaub in Kitzbuhel, bei der Hannenkamm - eine sehr hubsche Stadt :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I like it. It's very original looking.
  • Ihr Deutsch ist ungefähr so schlecht, wie meine!
  • what was wrong with it apart from auto correct changing the past imperfect of machen to machete?!
  • I hate what autocorrect does to foreign words! It was just machete and the umlaut missing on hubsche. But my German is embarrassingly bad considering I've been in Austria for more than 6 years. Main problem is that our friends want to practice their English and almost refuse to speak German with us!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I really like the look of it! exactly what finish kit did you use? I'm not normally a fan of SGs but I rather like that one.

If I am building a guitar, I would always get it 100% assembled and working before considering any finishing at all. Iron out all the problems first, then when you are totally happy, pull it apart again and sort the finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    edited February 2016
    It was Wudtone Dark Tease with gold highlights, satin finish @axisus though I'm fairly sure it's not wholly representative of what that colour should look like going from the pictures on the site! The body came primed for paint so I can only assume I didn't get it off well enough before applying to get the darker colour it was supposed to be...
  • So, trying to change the intonation on one of these things is a lot harder than on a Tele isn't it
  • I've just tried to go through each of the strings to tighten or loosen the screws on the bridge to try and intonate it properly, which is quite a job as the strings are in the way so a screw driver was difficult to use. Now I've got them in tune open and at the 12th, but notes on the 3rd 5th and 7th are out.

Does this mean I've done something silly wrong? Is it the truss rod? I've never had to do this before with my Tele or strats so I'm struggling a bit
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited February 2016
    I love the look of it - that's a lovely finish.

Even if I hadn't known already, I could have spotted you as a Baggies fan a mile off from your descriptions :)

I'll be in Stirchley in a couple of weeks, if you still aren't sorted I'll give you a hand if you like

• JookyChap;972801" said:

Even if I hadn't known already, I could have spotted you as a Baggies fan a mile off from your descriptions :)
    You'll laugh at this but I've just read that comment to my good lady as I can't quite work out whether I should be amused by it or offended! :) I presume there is the usual black country undertone of cynicism and relentless self deprecation in my texts, I'll say it's that :p

Please do let me know if/when you are over this way, I'm on the Bournville Stirchley border so that would be too good an opportunity to miss, would be privileged to get your help and more than happy to take you to a local public house for a drink it two should you have the time or inclination
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, it was that and the way that however well anything may go, we just know that sooner or later...

Still, at least we get to laugh at the Villa this year :)

I'll give you a shout then..

• :) I won't be offended then, as we say in our little corner of the Brummy Road... It's the hope that kills you. Well, that and "We NEVER score from corners.... Oh we've scored from a corner. It was lucky though".

Yes, please do, would be most up for that
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I've just tried to go through each of the strings to tighten or loosen the screws on the bridge to try and intonate it properly, which is quite a job as the strings are in the way so a screw driver was difficult to use. Now I've got them in tune open and at the 12th, but notes on the 3rd 5th and 7th are out.

Does this mean I've done something silly wrong? Is it the truss rod? I've never had to do this before with my Tele or strats so I'm struggling a bit
    To me that sounds like the frets aren't in the right place.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    I've just tried to go through each of the strings to tighten or loosen the screws on the bridge to try and intonate it properly, which is quite a job as the strings are in the way so a screw driver was difficult to use. Now I've got them in tune open and at the 12th, but notes on the 3rd 5th and 7th are out.

To me that sounds like the frets aren't in the right place.
    Don't panic, @thecolourbox - it's VERY unlikely that the frets are in the wrong place.  I don't know how familiar you are with set-up so I will assume you haven't set up from scratch before - forgive me if that's not the case.

When you say you've checked tuning open and at the 12th, do you mean you've checked the harmonic at the 12th against the same string fretted at the 12th?  That's the check you need to make for the intonation.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Nut height?
  • WezV said:
    Nut height?
    Probably - if the intonation is correct...
  • Thanks chaps. The intonation is correct when fretted at the 12th, so yes the harmonic and the fretted note are the same, it's just the other inbetween frets that seem to be out. The 3rd fret on the low A is painfully out!

I'm getting some new pickups in the next week (from here of course) so in the meantime I was hoping to get this bit sorted while the pick guard is off. Speaking of the pickguard, i'm also not sure what to do with that either because I don't seem to be able to enlarge the bridge holes sufficiently with my reamer and I don't think I can be bothered to sit there getting plastic dust everywhere and just getting ragged uneven holes in my pick guard!
  • Thanks chaps. The intonation is correct when fretted at the 12th, so yes the harmonic and the fretted note are the same, it's just the other inbetween frets that seem to be out. The 3rd fret on the low A is painfully out!

I'm getting some new pickups in the next week (from here of course) so in the meantime I was hoping to get this bit sorted while the pick guard is off. Speaking of the pickguard, i'm also not sure what to do with that either because I don't seem to be able to enlarge the bridge holes sufficiently with my reamer and I don't think I can be bothered to sit there getting plastic dust everywhere and just getting ragged uneven holes in my pick guard!
    Hi, @thecolourbox    

OK - just wanted to clarify.

As @WezV suggests then, it is likely that the nut is too high and therefore you are 'bending' the strings, albeit vertically, as you press them down to the frets.  

If this is the case, the effect of this will be greatest closest to the nut, ie 1st fret will be affected most, reducing as you get towards around the 7th fret.  The effect will be that those notes ring out sharp against the correct pitch.  Does that match what you are finding?
  • Also, are these fresh strings bought separately, or are they from the kit?  The only real criticism I have against some of these kits is that the strings, where supplied, are often simply awful, which can affect things markedly.