Every CD I own . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7918
    six more today and that's 20% done, until I buy some more ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29087
    Paul_C said:
    CD#91 Voice of the Beehive - Honey Lingers

I saw them at a local venue around the time of the first album and despite seeing many punk gigs in the past this was the only gig where I encountered any violence - for reasons I still can't explain some random bloke punched me in the back of the head - twice - during one of the songs - I retreated to the back of the room and my unknown assailant left me alone from then on - weird.

Indeed.

Cracking pop album though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited April 2016

Sporky said:
    Paul_C said:
    CD#91 Voice of the Beehive - Honey Lingers

I saw them at a local venue around the time of the first album and despite seeing many punk gigs in the past this was the only gig where I encountered any violence - for reasons I still can't explain some random bloke punched me in the back of the head - twice - during one of the songs - I retreated to the back of the room and my unknown assailant left me alone from then on - weird.

Indeed.

Cracking pop album though.
    It is, I have the first album too, but on vinyl.

CD#94 Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration

Another recent purchase, I know nothing about the band other than I've heard the name before.

Wiki suggests the earlier stuff might be more fun - it's ok, but it's not saying "buy all the stuff we ever made in case it's as good as this".

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    Paul_C said:

Another recent purchase, I know nothing about the band other than I've heard the name before.

Wiki suggests the earlier stuff might be more fun - it's ok, but it's not saying "buy all the stuff we ever made in case it's as good as this".
    Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream are better, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Paul_C said:

Deserter's Songs is on my list of things to look out for which is why I picked this up as part of a 3 for a tenner offer - I'll see if it's on YouTube, perhaps.

CD#95 Gang Of Four - Entertainment!

Funny how some bands pass you by, around the time of this album I was buying Parallel Lines, Replicas and Regatta De Blanc but I'm not sure if I heard any Gang Of Four at all, possibly because I only listened to John Peel now and again.

CD#96 Del Amitri - Waking Hours

I haven't listened to this in years, it might have been another of the four Britannia Music freebies.

It's book-ended by the two best known songs Kiss This Thing Goodbye and Nothing Ever Happens, but it's more than just those two songs and more interesting musically than I'd remembered.

CD#97 Green Day - American Idiot

I like Green Day and despite this being cheesy and more pop than punk with riffs nicked from all over the place, it's great fun. It does go on a bit though, they could have dropped two or three songs easily.

CD#98 Red House Painters - Red House Painters (Bridge)

A recent purchase, in this case because I had them down as worth checking out. I won't write them off after this, but I probably won't be rushing to buy their back catalogue.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27900
    Paul_C said:

possibly because I only listened to John Peel now and again.

:(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Paul_C said:

possibly because I only listened to John Peel now and again.

:(
    I like what I like, and there were times when I really couldn't be arsed with all the weird nonsense ;)

• SporkySporky Frets: 29087
    ICBM said:

I hated Deserter's Songs. Mostly because I think I bought it by mistake, thinking Mercury Rev were another band I'd heard.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27900
    I missed whole years worth of his shows for the same reason.

But I'm not aware of anyone that's really replaced him in today's ever-shrinking radio world.  That's my sadness.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    Paul_C;1026613" said:
    CD#95 Gang Of Four - Entertainment!Funny how some

bands pass you by, around the time of this album I was buying Parallel

Lines, Replicas and Regatta De Blanc but I'm not sure if I heard any

Gang Of Four at all, possibly because I only listened to John Peel now

and again.CD#96 Del Amitri - Waking HoursI haven't listened to this in years, it might have been another of the four Britannia Music freebies.It's

book-ended by the two best known songs Kiss This Thing Goodbye and

Nothing Ever Happens, but it's more than just those two songs and more

interesting musically than I'd remembered.CD#97 Green Day - American IdiotI

like Green Day and despite this being cheesy and more pop than punk

with riffs nicked from all over the place, it's great fun. It does go on

a bit though, they could have dropped two or three songs easily. CD#98 Red House Painters - Red House Painters (Bridge)A

recent purchase, in this case because I had them down as worth checking

out. I won't write them off after this, but I probably won't be rushing

to buy their back catalogue.
    I saw Del Amitri live. Not quite sure why I went but incredible live band playing all sorts of instruments, fantastic guitarist (whatever his name is). When people talk about playing for the song they are a good illustration - very skilled musos whose approach is to support the arrangement and not show off.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited April 2016
    Day 23

CD#99 Paul Simon - Surprise

Perhaps not as coherent as some of his albums, this still has some interesting music and a definite Paul Simon feel to it.

Wiki says there's a new album out this month and the last album is supposed to be pretty good too.

CD#100 OP8 - Slush

Another random purchase, this time it was a Quietus piece listing Stewart Lee's 13 favourite albums - I'm yet to try to understand The Fall and I own one or two of the others, so I picked this one and bought it s/h from Amazon.

CD#101 Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself

It's groovy, but it does feel a little empty in places - Scooby Snacks is fun, the cover of We Have All The Time In The World is criminal.

CD#102 The Fratellis - Costello Music

I once played a gig in Camden that took three hours to get to because of roadworks, the audience comprised of four drunk American ladies who weren't there to listen to music and the bloke running the P.A. was covering for the usual guy and only had one CD to play between acts. . .

As a consequence it was a long time before I listened to Costello Music again, but I have done once or twice and there's quite a bit that I like, as long as I suppress the memories of that endless night.

CD#103 The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

There's more to this than just the two singles, but they're probably the best bits.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
    CD#101 Fun Lovin' Criminals - Come Find Yourself

It's groovy, but it does feel a little empty in places - Scooby Snacks is fun, the cover of We Have All The Time In The World is criminal.

I really like it :).

Huey Morgan is a really excellent guitarist too, and it's not normally my thing to listen to the playing (rather then the music).

Paul_C said:
    CD#102 The Fratellis - Costello Music 

I once played a gig in Camden that took three hours to get to because of roadworks, the audience comprised of four drunk American ladies who weren't there to listen to music and the bloke running the P.A. was covering for the usual guy and only had one CD to play between acts. . .

As a consequence it was a long time before I listened to Costello Music again, but I have done once or twice and there's quite a bit that I like, as long as I suppress the memories of that endless night.

Surprisingly, not even Chelsea Dagger being on the list of songs I would be very happy to never hear a covers band play again has stopped me liking The Fratellis...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

CD#104 Barenaked Ladies - Gordon

I don't own as much of their stuff as I should, only this and a Greatest Hits 1991 - 2001.
    I used to have great fun singing If I had $1,000,000 in the car with my daughter, I won't embarrass her by letting on that it took a while to explain the "but not a real green dress, that's cruel" line.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited April 2016
    Wow this is epic stuff.

Having skimmed the thread, a few personal observations:

Astral Weeks is dire. Is it rock? Is it folk? Is it jazz? Falls between several stools and is in fact a pile of stool.

The Las has some very good songs on it but the production on all of it is pretty random in quality. I think it stands up very well though.

Nothing could induce me to listen to REM again, except their debut, mainly because Stipe's vocalizing is low in the mix ;)

Led Zep III is fabulous, fabulous stuff, except the Roy Harper track. I think all Zep lps had at least one duffer but this one really is possibly the utter nadir, perhaps with the dishonourable exception of the hateful Hot Dog off ITTOD.

Listening to any track off Suede's Coming Up makes me want to go out, drink, and dance like it's 199- whatever again. As a staid adult therefore I do not listen to Suede's Coming Up.

Good luck with the rest.

edited April 2016
    Day 24

CD#105 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

This came in a fancy box with a booklet of photos and lyrics, which is probably why it caught my eye as I'm not a huge Nick Cave fan. Despite that I'm enjoying it so it might get played a bit more often from now on.

CD#106 The Levellers - Levelling The Land

The anti-Mumford and Sons of the 90s, and still going it seems.

CD#107 Clive Murray - Earthman

I have to confess I'm not really into instrumental rock guitar, and I bought this because he's a friend. Despite that I really like it, there's more to it than just one guitar sound playing vaguely similar tunes and the backing to the lead instrument is always interesting too.

CD#108 Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Another band that's been on my list because I generally "like a lot of that kind of stuff".

CD#109 Split Enz - Second Thoughts

I love this album, it has everything that made early Split Enz so magical.  Dizrythmia is a pretty close second for songs, but it doesn't have all the mad stops and starts. . . or spoon solos.

CD#110 Mull Historical Society - Us

According to Wikipedia this received generally positive reviews and after it was released the record label dropped him. Which seems harsh.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    Ooh I had Levelling the Land on cassette and saw them live in the 90s which was rather good. IIRC quite fun and not as earnest as I imagined. A band I've long since meant to go see again. Must go Google their tour schedule.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Paul_C said:
    CD#106 The Levellers - Levelling The Land

The anti-Mumford and Sons of the 90s, and still going it seems.

I almost liked them, until I heard a joke from a stand-up comic (I forget who) who said that you know you're at a Levellers gig if you stand at the back and shout "Jeremy!" and the entire audience turns round. For some reason I haven't been able to take them quite seriously ever since…

Although to be fair, they are a lot better than Mumford & Sons.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot quite a bit. It reminds me somewhat of the shambolic nature of Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers, which I suspect is intentional.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited April 2016
    Day 25

Day#111 Ry Cooder - My Name Is Buddy

This is "the story of Buddy Red Cat, Lefty Mouse and Reverend Tom Toad in the days of labor, big bosses, farm failures, strikes, company cops, sundown towns, hobos and trains . . . the America of yesteryear".

CD#112 Various - Northampton Under Glass

This is a compilation of various Northampton post-punk bands first released on cassette in 1981 as part of Northampton's Music Collective once featured on The Old Grey Whistle Test with a fledgling Housemartins playing an exchange gig in town. It has two tracks on it which weren't on the original cassette, one of which was part-written by and featured the tortured vocals of . . . me. Not recommended ;O)  I have never received a penny in royalties, but such is life.

CD#113 The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

I like The White Stripes, though like The Flaming Lips sometimes I like the idea of The White Stripes more than I like The White Stripes. My Doorbell is ok though.

CD#114 Counting Crows - August And Everything After

Apart from the upbeat Mr Jones it's quite a melancholy album, which suited my mood at the time quite well.

CD#115 Tubeway Army - Replicas

I have this on vinyl which has a small scratch on it that makes a small squeak at the beginning of Down In The Park, a consequence of lending it to a girl I liked. 

She told me she'd accidentally scratched it and I assured her that it was fine despite my horror at the damage, and never let on about the squeak.

Because I listened to it a lot I can still hear that squeak even when I listen to the CD . . .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom