Every CD I own . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    Day 26

CD#116 Mo Foster - Time To Think

This is a beautifully relaxing album to ease your way into the day - bass, acoustic guitar, piano, sax and vibraphone all recorded in an Oxford church.

CD#117  Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

This used to be a regular Sunday morning album, particularly side 2, and is far and away my favourite Bob Dylan album. There are others that I like a lot but this contains most of what I like about him in one perfect package.

- - - - - - - - - -

I've got 1/4 of the way through !

Though that does mean there's 3 times as much still to go . . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16658
    Found My Name is Buddy on Google Play. Wow, it's different. Like something we'd have listened to at a primary school assembly.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    I've really tried to like Ry Cooder, but I just find him very irritating.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM;1030686" said:
    I've really tried to like Ry Cooder, but I just find him very irritating.
    He does seem to do a lot of different stuff. I think it's great that a talented artist gets to follow his muse. However, he must have limited fans who like everything he has done. He's a bit hard work.

Day off today, and maybe tomorrow. Back to the task on Monday!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    sticker said:
    #1 Record is one of my absolute favourites. I'm glad I got to see the re-formed Big Star a fair few times before Alex died.

I've only just discovered this album , downloaded it last month and it's been on constantly all month . Cracking stuff!
    I actually think Radio City is better, but #1 Record is still great.

If you haven't already, you need to watch the documentary about them. Its called "Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    I was one of the Kickstarter contributors to the movie and went to the premiere at the Southbank. :-)

I'm friends with some of the Posies guys (who are part of the Mk II lineup) so I've managed to blag some great backstage passes and seen a few gigs from the side of the stage. Alex had a bit of a reputation for being a grumpy bugger, but once he got to know you, he was a real gent. Easily the coolest person I've ever met! 
    Whenever I play #1 Record, I almost always play Radio City afterwards.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary;1028761" said:
    Ooh I had Levelling the Land on cassette and saw them live in the 90s which was rather good. IIRC quite fun and not as earnest as I imagined. A band I've long since meant to go see again. Must go Google their tour schedule.
    Playing Moseley folk festival this September. My favourite folk festival. :) Ah diddly aye..
    Day 27 - Day off.

Day 28

CD#118 Steve Lawson - Grace and Gratitude

Looped bass that's perfect for a relaxed Sunday morning, lovely.

CD#119 XTC - White Noise 

Some good, some weird and a magnificent cover of All Along The Watchtower which sounds like no other.

only time for two today, playing with my daughter plus sport means no spare time. . .
    Day 29

CD#120 Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight

Their first major label release and their last album together. Not my favourite but despite the high polish there's enough Rilo Kiley in there to make it listenable.

CD#121 Elvis Costello - Spike

For a long time this was the last EC I bought, possibly because while it has some good moments it's a bit all over the place, in part because it was recorded in four different locations with four different groups of musicians, none of whom were Bruce Thomas.

CD#122 Moses - Django

I first heard Moses supporting Sam Brown at The Stables in Wavendon. This is only six songs so more of an EP than an album. 

CD#123 Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

The world would be a poorer place without Primus. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25042
    Paul_C said:
    Day 29

CD#123 Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

The world would be a poorer place without Primus.  

At last!  Something I've got!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    Day 30

CD#124 Curtis E Johnson - The Compleat Unknown

It was in the genial company of Curtis that I first tasted sweetcorn . . . and LSD, though probably not at the same time.

CD#125 Paul Simpson - Noise With A Purpose

A solo guitar-and-pedal-based explosion before he went and found jazz. Nice.

CD#126 Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

An earlier album is titled "epic" which would appear to have been premature after a couple of listens to this.

CD#127 My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

I  bought this after watching a live performance of I'm Amazed on Letterman that I stumbled upon on YouTube, the majority of the tracks don't quite reach the same height, but it's not bad.

(the last two are a bit of a cheat because I bought them from Amazon yesterday and the CDs themselves haven't arrived, but I couldn't wait ;)  )

CD#128 Grandaddy - Below The Radio

This is not as I had thought, an album by Grandaddy. It's a mixtape put together by Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, which includes tracks by people I've heard of, including Giant Sand, The Handsome Family, Pavement and unexpectedly, Snow Patrol - plus a lot I'm hearing for the first time.

CD#129 Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Through The Devil Softly

Described as dream-pop, this is another Exmouth Market purchase, the two main members are the singer who is from a band called Mazzy Star and the drummer from My Bloody Valentine, who writes, sings and plays various instruments. Very relaxing.  

edited April 2016
    Day 31

CD#130 Sam Brown - Stop!

Sadly no longer singing due to voice problems, this where here solo career began. It sounds very 80s but none the worse for that. 

CD#131 Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous

This is where I started with Rilo Kiley and it's still my favourite, though I do skip past one or two songs towards the end when listening in the car.

- - - - - - - - - -

At this point I went into town to check out what is probably Northampton's only (general) record shop (there are a couple of others but they're more niche i.e. dance oriented). I took in a 1980s cassette tape of local bands (CD#112 - Day 25) and much to my surprise, received enough cash for me to walk out with three CDs - oops!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Paul_C said:
    Day 31

CD#130 Sam Brown - Stop!
    I normally have at least 1 of the albums that you list in your daily listening - and this is today's.

I wondered why I'd not seen anything else from her, or seen any more appearances on JoolsH
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited April 2016

TTony said:
    Paul_C said:
    Day 31

CD#130 Sam Brown - Stop!
    I normally have at least 1 of the albums that you list in your daily listening - and this is today's.

I wondered why I'd not seen anything else from her, or seen any more appearances on JoolsH
    this explains things :

http://magazine.100percentrock.com/interviews/201509/137128

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
    Day 30

CD#124 Curtis E Johnson - The Compleat Unknown

It was in the genial company of Curtis that I first tasted sweetcorn . . . and LSD, though probably not at the same time.

CD#125 Paul Simpson - Noise With A Purpose

A solo guitar-and-pedal-based explosion before he went and found jazz. Nice.

CD#126 Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

An earlier album is titled "epic" which would appear to have been premature after a couple of listens to this.

CD#127 My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

I  bought this after watching a live performance of I'm Amazed on Letterman that I stumbled upon on YouTube, the majority of the tracks don't quite reach the same height, but it's not bad.

(the last two are a bit of a cheat because I bought them from Amazon yesterday and the CDs themselves haven't arrived, but I couldn't wait ;)  )

CD#128 Grandaddy - Below The Radio

This is not as I had thought, an album by Grandaddy. It's a mixtape put together by Jason Lytle of Grandaddy, which includes tracks by people I've heard of, including Giant Sand, The Handsome Family, Pavement and unexpectedly, Snow Patrol - plus a lot I'm hearing for the first time.

CD#129 Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Through The Devil Softly

Described as dream-pop, this is another Exmouth Market purchase, the two main members are the singer who is from a band called Mazzy Star and the drummer from My Bloody Valentine, who writes, sings and plays various instruments. Very relaxing.  

I have a My Morning Jacket cd somewhere, not that one although I can't recall what it is called. I heard them on American Dad which had an episode pretty much devoted to them for some reason. The good tracks are really good but the rest are well played rather laboured music . So they seem to be consistent at not producing a consistent standard. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Thanks for posting that link
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited April 2016

CD#132 Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Picked up today with the thought that I could have bought this 39 years ago, but chose not to. I loved Tubeway Army but while I bought Cars and then Complex I've never bought any other Gary Numan stuff, mostly due to the increase in synth sounds instead of synths and guitars mixed.

Was I right ? 

For me, yes. It feels like the whole future world/lonely android thing has been taken to its limit and lost all emotion as a consequence, and what resonated with me listening to Replicas was a feeling of isolation but with some small connection to humanity (perfect for a teenager!), whereas this has gone beyond that into complete disconnection. I don't like it much now and probably wouldn't have liked it then. 

CD#133 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

I do like Hendrix, but I'm not a die hard fan. There were times that I was listening more to the skill of the drummer than anything else, but there is some cool stuff on here.

CD#134 Hanne Hukkelberg - Blood From A Stone

Apparently this is more guitar-heavy and less jazzy-pop than her previous work, but it's all I have so I don't know if that's good or bad. The next one goes back to being more experimental, apparently.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Paul_C said:
    CD#133 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
    My favourite Hendrix album by far. I just wish I'd kept my original naked-women-cover vinyl copy, it would be worth a lot more now than it was when I sold it…

Paul_C said:
    CD#134 Hanne Hukkelberg - Blood From A Stone

Apparently this is more guitar-heavy and less jazzy-pop than her previous work, but it's all I have so I don't know if that's good or bad. The next one goes back to being more experimental, apparently.

I've got two of her albums, but not this one. I like her a lot, and I didn't know it was more guitar-y… I'll have to get it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I had no idea about Sam Brown's vocal problems.

I still quite regularly give "Box" a spin.