Led Zep to face copyright trial over Stairway

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Philly_Q said:
    The one that sticks in my mind is a song by Lonestar called Amazed.
    Which reminds me, the (excellent) 1970s Welsh rock band Lone Star had a song called "All Of Us To All Of You" which has a main riff remarkably similar to Deep Purple's "Burn".
    Is that the Deep Purple that nicked the Black Night riff from Rick Nelson's Summertime?
    It would certainly be the same Burn that the same Ritchie Blackmore of the same Deep Purple nicked from George Gershwin…

(Riff starts at 0'11")

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    Philly_Q said:
    The one that sticks in my mind is a song by Lonestar called Amazed. 

Which reminds me, the (excellent) 1970s Welsh rock band Lone Star had a song called "All Of Us To All Of You" which has a main riff remarkably similar to Deep Purple's "Burn".

Is that the Deep Purple that nicked the Black Night riff from Rick Nelson's Summertime?

Them's the ones.

I think it's all horseshit.  Everything in music sounds like something else.  It might be "inspired by", it might be copied subconsciously, it might be pure coincidence.  Very occasionally it might be deliberately nicked.  Even then I don't think the person who wrote the song it sort-of-partly-sounds-like should be entitled to a cut of all the income it generates forevermore.   

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    Blur's House in The Country and The Vapors' Turning Japanese - not entirely dissimilar.

As has been said so many times before, all guitarists steal, The difficult thing is knowing what to steal.

• I think one of the things that this all proves is how limited the Western approach to music can be - for all its rich and wonderful variety.

It blows my mind to think that not only to other cultures have different styles of music, they even use different scales and microtonal notes, very different rhythms and all that...fascinating that they can have a totally different mindset to music, hearing it in an almost totally different way, if you see what I mean. Admittedly, I DO have a very conservative and linear approach to music myself, so almost anyone else's approach seems radical, but still..

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Wow there's quite an echo in here about Changing Man/ELO/Dear Prudence... ;-)

The point was made last night that the whole reason that this has come back up is that the remasters that have recently been done mean that the Statute of Limitations that had been exceeded previously has now been reset... therefore the trustees of the Spirit back catalogue can try their luck.

Every band has borrowed bits from someone else - consciously or not. The only people who will win here will be the lawyers...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @icbm Burn and Fascinating Rhythm? Wow who would have thought? Apparently the PSB's It's a Sin and Cat Stevens's Wild World are similar too. Which all goes to confirm yet again for me that the arrangement and instrumentation for me a key and is the red herring in this case. Two acoustics playing a loosely similar set of arpeggios? I could see why some would cry foul. For many it'd hide the points where the passages differ. Heavy guitar playing the same notes as a horn section? I was duped. Upbeat electronica vs a slower acoustic ballad? Many express real surprise.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Although I saw Spirit years ago, and have always been impressed by Randy's playing, I can't connect Taurus to Stairway anywhere like as close as the remainder of the 10 songs on that Youtube vid.

I also think the Tull/Eagles thing is cobblers.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5187
    I seem to recall hearing Zeppelin berate Chicago for nicking the progression from Babe I'm Going To Leave You. Which was "inspired" by John Baez?

Was it Gary Moore that list a case for a song where there was no reasonable expectation that he could have heard the song in question?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    impmann said:
    The only people who will win here will be the lawyers...

And by extension, PRS.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited April 2016
    An update to the story

According to Bloomberg News, the $1 offer would, however, come at a bigger price: Randy California would need a writing credit on the track – not to mention sharing its future profits. “It’s always been about credit where credit is due,” said attorney Francis Alexander Malofiy, representing Michael Skidmore. 

Skidmore has said any windfall would support the Randy California Project, which supplies musical instruments and lessons to students at low-income schools in California.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I wonder if Clapton owes them some money, then? I think the chord progression and main riff is just as close to that Spirit thing...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Well if it supports a good musical cause then I reckon they should suck it up and settle

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• eSully said:
    An update to the story

According to Bloomberg News, the $1 offer would, however, come at a bigger price: Randy California would need a writing credit on the track – not to mention sharing its future profits. “It’s always been about credit where credit is due,” said attorney Francis Alexander Malofiy, representing Michael Skidmore. 

Skidmore has said any windfall would support the Randy California Project, which supplies musical instruments and lessons to students at low-income schools in California.

Could be argued that is emotional blackmail.

Run the risk of being taken for a lot more, or give us a credit for future profits FOR CHARIDEE MAAAAAAN.

Purely by coincidence, I have been flicking through Mick Wall's "When Dinosaurs Walked The Earth" Led Zep biog and there is a mention of the Spirit/ Led Zep thing in there and he says if they did borrow from the song it is like taking some wood out of someone's garden shed and building a cathedral out of it. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Common sense prevails
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom