The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    JAYJO said:
    Well that was quick. Barby delivered to work. Be putting it together tonight when the kids are in bed. 
    Mrs wants a barby tomorrow....Gulp....(looks a bit showery)
    She asked "what do you need me to buy from Asda tonight for the barby?" Ive now got to Perform. The eyes of the family will be on me. 2 adults 2 kids .1 novice and a shiny new Master Touch.
    1 small bag of briquettes and a fire starter with lighter cubes. (no meat thermometer as yet, wasnt expecting such a quick delivery).
     What do you recommend for tomorrows barby. Ideas Please ? i am a novice.  cheers
    You can't go wrong with boneless chickent thighs. Cook in no time and stay succulent and juicy if you don't overdo them!

Throw together a dry rub (quick google) or just some peri peri marinade and you'll be onto a winner. Cut up into chunks and put them in a tortilla wrap! best kebab you've had!

I did some chicken thighs the other week. Marinaded them in olive oil, soya sauce and chilli flakes and skewered them. Awesome, and very hard to get wrong. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    JAYJO said:
    Well that was quick. Barby delivered to work. Be putting it together tonight when the kids are in bed. 
    She asked "what do you need me to buy from Asda tonight for the barby?" Ive now got to Perform. The eyes of the family will be on me. 2 adults 2 kids .1 novice and a shiny new Master Touch.
    1 small bag of briquettes and a fire starter with lighter cubes. (no meat thermometer as yet, wasnt expecting such a quick delivery).
     What do you recommend for tomorrows barby. Ideas Please ? i am a novice.  cheers
    You can't go wrong with boneless chickent thighs. Cook in no time and stay succulent and juicy if you don't overdo them!

Throw together a dry rub (quick google) or just some peri peri marinade and you'll be onto a winner. Cut up into chunks and put them in a tortilla wrap! best kebab you've had!

I did some chicken thighs the other week. Marinaded them in olive oil, soya sauce and chilli flakes and skewered them. Awesome, and very hard to get wrong. 

Right. Ive got soya sauce and olive oil, Will ask the Mrs to get the chilli flakes. If you get a chance could you give us a briefing on the Marinading mate?
    JAYJO said:
    JAYJO said:

Right. Ive got soya sauce and olive oil, Will ask the Mrs to get the chilli flakes. If you get a chance could you give us a briefing on the Marinading mate?

It's really easy. I never measure anything out. Probably 2/3 olive oil to 1/3 soya sauce. Chilli flakes depending on how spicy you like it. Pinch of cracked black pepper. Mix it up, add your chicken thighs and marinade for an hour or so. I usually marinade mine out of the fridge, just to take the chill off the meat, but it's ok in the fridge. It's really as easy as that.

I cut mine into 1cm slices and skewered them so they where flat and each piece of meat had a slight space in between so the meat cooked evenly. Four to five minutes each side and done.

JAYJO said:
    JAYJO said:

It's really easy. I never measure anything out. Probably 2/3 olive oil to 1/3 soya sauce. Chilli flakes depending on how spicy you like it. Pinch of cracked black pepper. Mix it up, add your chicken thighs and marinade for an hour or so. I usually marinade mine out of the fridge, just to take the chill off the meat, but it's ok in the fridge. It's really as easy as that.

I cut mine into 1cm slices and skewered them so they where flat and each piece of meat had a slight space in between so the meat cooked evenly. Four to five minutes each side and done.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your time with this. Cheers. 
    JAYJO said:
    JAYJO said:
    JAYJO said:

Thanks mate. Appreciate your time with this. Cheers. 

No problem mate, happy to help. Hope it turns  out ok, and let us know how you get on.

• nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    Is bicarb of soda the same thing as baking powder? I've just dry brined a pork shoulder with a bit of it mixed with a load of salt and have now panicked that it's the wrong stuff. Google suggests it might be OK or might not. Who knows?
    nanoman said:
    Is bicarb of soda the same thing as baking powder? I've just dry brined a pork shoulder with a bit of it mixed with a load of salt and have now panicked that it's the wrong stuff. Google suggests it might be OK or might not. Who knows?
    The box I have has no mention of using it for Foood. Cleaaning and deodorizing only. Be careful. Do some more research mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunyshaun1234shaunyshaun1234 Frets: 286
    edited June 2020
    Got a nice big tomahawk steak to go on tonight!!
    But of reverse sear action!! 
    Well took me 3hrs to put the Barby together. Binned the bilt app. Drove me nuts. Tried instructions then youtube. Different wheels. Got there in the end. So weather permitting will be test driving with the chicken thighs recommended by @breakstuff. Chilli flakes and pirri pirri whatever that is the Mrs wants. I'm not even hungry but I still can't wait lol. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    So after reading the progress of this thread since it began and never having owned a barbeque before thought we'd have to give it a try. Bought this a couple a weeks ago but the weather has been a bit off since then so we haven't used it yet. It's been lovely today up norf here so tonights the night. Just got some burgers and sausage from the local butcher. The weber was advertised local and paid £90. Didn't feel like paying out £300 or so being as we may not take to it. It was very clean and only a couple of years old.  

That's a bargain @ronnyb and a great colour too. 
    6 1/2 hours into the pulled pork cook and its at 85°c and smelling great. Wrapped it in foil at 65°c. The hours rest is going to feel looong
  • ronnyb said:
    So after reading the progress of this thread since it began and never having owned a barbeque before thought we'd have to give it a try. Bought this a couple a weeks ago but the weather has been a bit off since then so we haven't used it yet. It's been lovely today up norf here so tonights the night. Just got some burgers and sausage from the local butcher. The weber was advertised local and paid £90. Didn't feel like paying out £300 or so being as we may not take to it. It was very clean and only a couple of years old.  
    More people should snap up second hand webers!! They will last forever! I'm thinking about a second one to use for pizzas!! 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    ronnyb said:
    More people should snap up second hand webers!! They will last forever! I'm thinking about a second one to use for pizzas!! 
    you can also buy the parts to fix any problems

• Picked mine up today. Just doing some simple burgers etc tonight to start off but looking forward to trying some low n slow recipes. :)

https://i.imgur.com/6YOEU7O.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well that was, by some distance, the best thing I've ever cooked on a bbq. Maybe could have done with some hickory and apple wood rather than beech (the only thing I could get hold of) but as a first effort goes, more than happy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just finished the tomahawk steak! It was honestly the 2nd best steak I've ever had (beaten by a fillet of wagyu on our honeymoon).

I still can't work out how to post a picture so I've put a link to an album! First pic is before, second pic us roasted and resting, third is searing completed and 4th is leftovers.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!As5RIrNV_21Jgo1kZp8l53vruz5fkg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First attempt wasn’t great but not a complete disaster. Started off with no where near enough coals and probably didn’t let them get hot enough either. Once I’d fired some more up in the chimney starter, it soon got going. 
    Glad I didn’t jump straight in with something more ambitious but definitely learned a lot tonight. 
    I got caught out last night just firing up a small amount of coals for 2 burgers and 2 chicken fillets. Rushed it, didn't get the coals blazing and was just chasing my tail. Better to overdo it in the chimney than chuck half lit coals in the grill. I was trying to rescue it by shoving wool wood firelighters into the half lit coals and it was just a smoky mess. Definite learning curve compared to gas.
    Onedrive link to the pulled pork. What looked like masses was split into two; a tub to freeze and a tub for the fridge for Wraps and sandwiches this week. Then me and the boys got tucked into it for supper and it's safe to say there's no need to freeze any. So good...