The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Need help selecting a new barbecue please. The Mrs and kids are fed up with my existing set up. A fire pit with a broken leg (so it wobbles) and throw away barbecues in the centre. The Mrs wants something better just in case we ever get visitors (over my dead body) but she wants People in our lives. 
    I honestly will not have the luxury of slow cooking a joint but i would like to cook some nice food over a reasonable amount of time. As it is now the food is cooked extremely quickly (too quickly) I would need to do Burgers sausages etc for the kids with maybe kebabs and chicken pieces etc. 
    Been looking at the Weber models and they look good. Mrs would be happy with one of them. I hate cleaning barbecues but i have to get a new one as i also have 3 family birthday parties in July (The wife and both kids) and they all want a party of some sort so its looking like a barbecue. I mention this as i may need to cook for up to eight people. Many thanks for any help much appreciate it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    JAYJO said:
    Need help selecting a new barbecue please. The Mrs and kids are fed up with my existing set up. A fire pit with a broken leg (so it wobbles) and throw away barbecues in the centre. The Mrs wants something better just in case we ever get visitors (over my dead body) but she wants People in our lives. 
    I honestly will not have the luxury of slow cooking a joint but i would like to cook some nice food over a reasonable amount of time. As it is now the food is cooked extremely quickly (too quickly) I would need to do Burgers sausages etc for the kids with maybe kebabs and chicken pieces etc. 
    Been looking at the Weber models and they look good. Mrs would be happy with one of them. I hate cleaning barbecues but i have to get a new one as i also have 3 family birthday parties in July (The wife and both kids) and they all want a party of some sort so its looking like a barbecue. I mention this as i may need to cook for up to eight people. Many thanks for any help much appreciate it. 

you can do a lot with a weber kettle

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Yep, Weber kettle for the win. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

Heres what ive found.         
     Weber one touch 57cm £199. john lewis.E5710
    OR master touch kettle £269.
    Also a  Bar b Kettle  for £169 Amazon. 
    Which one of these would you recommend ? cheers

JAYJO said:

Heres what ive found.         

I bought a Master Touch a few weeks ago, so would have to recommend that. Confirmation bias, and all that    As @fretmeister says earlier on in the thread, the ash collector is pretty much a must, and saves ash blowing everywhere, but also the grills on the Master Touch are so heavy duty they will last years. I'm not sure as to whether the grills on the other two are of the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    I've just put in an order for the Turner & George BBQ Box for offspring birthday, along with some canoe cut bone marrow.

The marrow is amazing - roast it, then can use it as a spread condiment on beef.. or for the ultimate fondue - melt the marrow until it gets as hot as oil would be and then fondue your favourite beef cut in it. Ideally something that works best rare - fillet, sirloin or bavette.

That's the small box.

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/small-bbq-box-1.html

With 

Birthday BBQ is on first weekend of July - T&G will deliver this lot the day before.
    Cannot wait!!
  • JAYJO said:

Heres what ive found.         

I ordered a Bar B Kettle from Go Outdoors for £150. I would've liked to go for a one touch but my initial budget was £100 so was already pushing it.
    Head was banging trying to decide. Went for the Master touch 5755 grey. Got the twisted fire starter kit aso £323 . Bollocksed it up on the wowbbq site but hopefully sorted with email.
    JAYJO said:
    Head was banging trying to decide. Went for the Master touch 5755 grey. Got the twisted fire starter kit aso £323 . Bollocksed it up on the wowbbq site but hopefully sorted with email.

Good man, you won't regret it. 

JAYJO said:

Good man, you won't regret it. 

cheers mate. Cant promise i wont be a pita as its all new to me. looking forwart to it. Been calling the littlun cheeky chops and chicken.... lol Its taking its toll.
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    I ended up with the grey master touch as well even though the order did say black. It does have a hint of brown about it but we decided to keep it as it still looks good. It's  had a quick run out for some burgers and sausages but hoping to get a pork joint and a roast chicken on there this weekend.

It's a bit addictive this bbq lark though. I've already got the GBS chicken roasting tray and other bits and bobs. And watched a load of Pitmaster X YouTube vids to get some ideas as well as the BBQPB and the other guy recommended on here.

Love the Pitmaster X vids. Always informative and good fun. He really looks like he's enjoying himself, and the banter's great too.

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    Yes you need 90, 95C for the collagen to break down which enables it to be pulled apart easily.
    Yep, definitely pulled out too early. Get it up to about 95ºC/203Fº and it will fall to bits with very little effort.

See Meathead's recipe at https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe for a tried and tested recipe.

@JAYJO Sound purchase - there's not much you won't be able to cook with that and it'll last you a lifetime. 

yorkio said:
    Yes you need 90, 95C for the collagen to break down which enables it to be pulled apart easily.
    Yep, definitely pulled out too early. Get it up to about 95ºC/203Fº and it will fall to bits with very little effort.

See Meathead's recipe at https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe for a tried and tested recipe.

@JAYJO Sound purchase - there's not much you won't be able to cook with that and it'll last you a lifetime. 

Cheers mate, i am hoping to provide a bit more than the usual dried sausages and burgers as the family seem to look disappointed when i suggest were having a barby. That is all about to change i hope. 
    edited June 2020
    Well that was quick. Barby delivered to work. Be putting it together tonight when the kids are in bed. 
    Mrs wants a barby tomorrow....Gulp....(looks a bit showery)
    She asked "what do you need me to buy from Asda tonight for the barby?" Ive now got to Perform. The eyes of the family will be on me. 2 adults 2 kids .1 novice and a shiny new Master Touch.
    1 small bag of briquettes and a fire starter with lighter cubes. (no meat thermometer as yet, wasnt expecting such a quick delivery).
     What do you recommend for tomorrows barby. Ideas Please ? i am a novice.  cheers

If you can find some natural wood fire lighters, I would recommend them. They're quite slow burning so no chance of them burning out before your charcoal has lit. I got some from my local Co-op but you can get them online. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Firelighters-firestarters-Fireplace-Barbecues-Campfires/dp/B0779HVJ6N

• JAYJO said:
    Well that was quick. Barby delivered to work. Be putting it together tonight when the kids are in bed. 
    Mrs wants a barby tomorrow....Gulp....(looks a bit showery)
    She asked "what do you need me to buy from Asda tonight for the barby?" Ive now got to Perform. The eyes of the family will be on me. 2 adults 2 kids .1 novice and a shiny new Master Touch.
    1 small bag of briquettes and a fire starter with lighter cubes. (no meat thermometer as yet, wasnt expecting such a quick delivery).
     What do you recommend for tomorrows barby. Ideas Please ? i am a novice.  cheers
    You can't go wrong with boneless chickent thighs. Cook in no time and stay succulent and juicy if you don't overdo them!

Throw together a dry rub (quick google) or just some peri peri marinade and you'll be onto a winner. Cut up into chunks and put them in a tortilla wrap! best kebab you've had!

If you can find some natural wood fire lighters, I would recommend them. They're quite slow burning so no chance of them burning out before your charcoal has lit. I got some from my local Co-op but you can get them online. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Firelighters-firestarters-Fireplace-Barbecues-Campfires/dp/B0779HVJ6N

I will add to my basket mate..  Should i go for chicken Pieces /chops/Burgers etc. One half basket Briquettes. Cook indirectly on other side. lid down . Or is it Briquettes in the middle cook on top direct lid open.? 
  • JAYJO said:

I will add to my basket mate..  Should i go for chicken Pieces /chops/Burgers etc. One half basket Briquettes. Cook indirectly on other side. lid down . Or is it Briquettes in the middle cook on top direct lid open.? 
    Pretty much whatever I cook starts as direct to get a nice sear and caramelsation on the go. Then you can move them over to the indirect side of the grill. I think of it as the direct side is the hob and the indirect side is the oven. And its almost always lid on. 

As I mentioned above boneless chicken thighs! Guaranteed to impress!
    JAYJO said:

Pretty much whatever I cook starts as direct to get a nice sear and caramelsation on the go. Then you can move them over to the indirect side of the grill. I think of it as the direct side is the hob and the indirect side is the oven. And its almost always lid on. 

As I mentioned above boneless chicken thighs! Guaranteed to impress!
    Great . I get the idea a bit more now.