SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD!! [finally...] Hughes & Kettner Puretone 25w combo w/Celestion Vintage 30

What's Hot

Comments

• dcgdcg Frets: 238
    edited July 2016
    Thank you; comments much appreciated!  The text is the tone, if you see what I mean.

Now without wishing to get into a 'it's not you, it's me' type of snivel, can some kind person explain why this splendid creature hasn't even been the subject of an insulting offer?  I mean, 1000 views and - zippo?  Did I really get this so wrong?  In many decades of buy/sell mania, never has a lump of amp iron clung so resolutely to the home.  I mean, it's so not leaving the building.   Is it the price?  The blue lights? (think Marlene Dietrich...).  The brand?  

Yikes, and double yikes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 371
    Its a tough one because, i guess like a lot of people on here, I already have an amp that covers what this does, but I still really want it, but just can't justify it sadly! 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It may also be because retailers were knocking these out cheap not so long ago. I paid £699 for the head, new. Obviously yours is a combo though.
    I don't fully understand it because they are great amps.
    Appreciate the comments - and believe they're both absolutely right.  I will attempt to be patient...
  • Don't let it go for nothing, these are beautiful amps. A buyer will come. 
    Bumpster...
  • dcg said:
    Thank you; comments much appreciated!  The text is the tone, if you see what I mean.

Now without wishing to get into a 'it's not you, it's me' type of snivel, can some kind person explain why this splendid creature hasn't even been the subject of an insulting offer?  I mean, 1000 views and - zippo?  Did I really get this so wrong?  In many decades of buy/sell mania, never has a lump of amp iron clung so resolutely to the home.  I mean, it's so not leaving the building.   Is it the price?  The blue lights? (think Marlene Dietrich...).  The brand?  

Yikes, and double yikes.

It's probably the lack of either a built-in reverb or effects loop (and maybe the blue lights unless you are colour blind!) that is preventing a sale because, at your price point, there are plenty of other used valve combo's on the market that have both these features and some even have tremolo as well. Perhaps a drastic price drop may inspire a buyer to come forward.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    ^^ Lol awarded.  

I mean seriously, that's like saying the reason people aren't buying your super high-quality track-day racing car (for a very fair price) are because it doesn't have aircon or electric windows or isn't in metallic pearl...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @McToot "Dear Louvre, I wish to buy your "Mona Lisa" but the frame doesn't come with built in lights, and the glass over the picture isn't bulletproof. I suggest you drop your price to £10m, then I'll think about it." This is a fantastic amp @dcg and, if I didn't already have a 65 DRRI, I would've snapped this one up £50 worth of bumps ago. Really hope you find a buyer soon.
  • McToot said:
    ^^ Lol awarded.  

I mean seriously, that's like saying the reason people aren't buying your super high-quality track-day racing car (for a very fair price) are because it doesn't have aircon or electric windows or isn't in metallic pearl...

My point is that a single channel combo amp without an effects loop or even a built-in reverb is very much a one-trick pony and this statement applies to many of the so-called 'boutique' amps on the market. Sure, the tone may be great but in a band situation you need versatility and  all you can do with this combo is to adjust the treble, mid and bass response but the basic tone will remain the same no matter what you do. For example, if you set it up for a nice rock lead tone then that is what you will get. However, if your band wants to play a nice ballad immediately after the rock number then it will sound pretty naff playing nice arpeggio chords with a rock lead tone. I guess the lack of a buyer so far probably reflects the fact that most players want a versatile multi-channel amp or combo with reverb as a minimum to give the basic tone some depth and space.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think all these comments are well made, although would say that I personally have bought nothing but one trick ponies (Silverface Princeton Reverb and Champ, Hiwatt Custom 20, tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone) - and then saddle them with a compressor and boost pedal.  This does everything I need.  So the Puretone doesn't have reverb or an effects loop; deffo guilty as charged.  But it does have a great core tone...
    ...oh, and now it's even cheaper.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 675
    that's a great price
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    That's ridiculously cheap. GLWTS.
    edited August 2016
    Very cheap...and utterly fab...Thursday morning bumper
  • Would you consider sending this out via Courier?
    Incredibly, this looks like it's now sold via my ad on the bay of E...apologies, otherwise I would perhaps have considered a courier (and probably should have done before).
  • If the ebay sale falls through let me know :-)

• Finally!!!
    Just to say thanks to all of you for your supportive comments throughout this epic sales campaign; as one of you wisely observed, 'a buyer will come'.  Which they did.