Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    lloyd;1112476" said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Gents. It will all be OK.

I've just covered a Wales win and a draw. 

You can now be fairly confident that neither will happen. Sorry @Lloyd

Ha, I could counter it by throwing a few quid on England!
    Haha. Trust me mate. I am sure my powers of losing cash via betting are far stronger than yours!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I think @lloyd is the first Welshman I've come across with a rational, balanced view of a Welsh sports team :-D

I suspect that England will win fairly comfortably later but a Wales win or even a draw (neither of which is all that inconceivable) would certainly make the last round of fixtures interesting. Not sure I'd fancy being Welsh and near the Russian fans for that last game though.
    Don't worry, I'll be a raving lunatic by 12pm and 5 minutes before kick off will be certain we can win!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    As long as Sterling and Lallana are on the pitch, Wales have a chance. But England should win comfortably enough. Good preview by @lloyd, fair and honest words about Wales chances today.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    As long as Sterling and Lallana are on the pitch, Wales have a chance. But England should win comfortably enough. Good preview by @lloyd, fair and honest words about Wales chances today.
    Lallana apart from his finishing played well IMO, I'm a Liverpool fan and he's been the same all season, better since December. 

Needs to produce more end product in terms of goals and assists.

If you watch him, all your teams pressing will come from him, he chases and harries and it's infectious.

Good pressing will put the Welsh players, who aren't that good technically under pressure and will cause turnovers high up the pitch. He should start.

Sterling? Pace but little else, I'm not sure he'll keep his place.

I think where Wales have a chance is with England's defence, Smalling is a good player but his best days are ahead of him, while I think the reverse is true of Cahill.

I've not been a fan of Bale's pre game chat, Hodgson will be putting newspaper cuttings of his quotes and the team talk writes itself, while that's not going to win or lose you games, I'm sure the English lads will be fired up for the game-one they wouldn't need any motivating for anyway.

Maybe the Welsh camp are trying to wind them up? I don't know, but he could end up looking foolish come the final whistle.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired;1112275" said:
    I predict a Wales win. Roy's picked the same team  and the same 4-3-3 formation that didn't work against Russia. They might win 4-0 and I'll look stupid but I doubt it.
    See this is what I fear, England really, should be turning us over pretty easily, if you have your shooting boots on it could be pretty messy for us.

You'll be allowed to have 60% possession and while Bale is awesome, and can do things on his own, running through 5 defenders who are not especially worried about other players is a different ball game to exploiting defences for Real.

We're gonna be under the coach for large parts of the game and relying on set-pieces and Magic from Bale and Ramsey.

We aren't that good a team, the players aren't particularly good. We just do what we do well.
    @Lloyd .. you see I remember Jack Charlton's Ireland in 1988. England were going to smash them. England lost 1-0 yet had most of the possession and the chances. England have form bottling it on the big occasion ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6288
    I think it will be rubbish, and end 0-0.

Slovakia beating Russia has changed the group. I expect England to draw with Slovakia too.

We "should" be able to win every game in the group, but sadly we are just not very good.
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired;1112275" said:
    I predict a Wales win. Roy's picked the same team  and the same 4-3-3 formation that didn't work against Russia. They might win 4-0 and I'll look stupid but I doubt it.
    See this is what I fear, England really, should be turning us over pretty easily, if you have your shooting boots on it could be pretty messy for us.

You'll be allowed to have 60% possession and while Bale is awesome, and can do things on his own, running through 5 defenders who are not especially worried about other players is a different ball game to exploiting defences for Real.

We're gonna be under the coach for large parts of the game and relying on set-pieces and Magic from Bale and Ramsey.

We aren't that good a team, the players aren't particularly good. We just do what we do well.
    @Lloyd .. you see I remember Jack Charlton's Ireland in 1988. England were going to smash them. England lost 1-0 yet had most of the possession and the chances. England have form bottling it on the big occasion ..
    What happened in 1988 has nothing to do with what'll happen today though, half the players won't have been born yet and the game has changed massively in the last 30 years.

People say England bottle it, they don't. 

They are over-hyped by your media and fans all through qualifying as they are a step up from the rest of the teams that are in their group, but your squad of players aren't as good as the other countries and fall short in the competitions, it's not bottling it, or because they're shit, they're not, but they're a top 10 team, not a top 5 team which means you're gonna fall short most of the time.

The only England team I've seen that have underachieved in a big(ish) way was the Euro 96 tem, should have done better, especially due to being at home but the others? I don't look at them and think world beaters, not many players over the last 20 years would have got into a combined World x11 at any stage and that's what you're missing, you need one or two of the World's best player in a couple positions, or at least one or two that would be in the top 3 of their position, England have none and that's what tends to win big games in big international tournaments.

I think your last few managers have been shithouse too, the FA has been a bit like the RFU in that regard, if you got a decent manager in, you'd do better but the recent incumbents have been poor.

How Woy kept his place after Brazil I don't know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    All I'm going to say is C'MON WALES!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    edited June 2016
    No comments at all about Northern Ireland's game -v- Ukraine later today. Crucial match for both teams, elimination or progression is likely for either team depending on the result.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

There's another game on? ;) I'll be cheering NI on but it's a big ask.

Think they over performed to get to the championships brilliantly but given a terrible group as the prize.

Who's escaped work and who's watching in the office? I escaped at 12

• FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 501
    I work at home, and have given myself permission to start watching the coverage... about now.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I've put a note on my Google Diary that says "leave me alone" from 2-4

tbh though, work are being very good about it, every tv and projector in the place is showing it
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired;1112275" said:

What happened in 1988 has nothing to do with what'll happen today though, half the players won't have been born yet and the game has changed massively in the last 30 years.

People say England bottle it, they don't. 

They are over-hyped by your media and fans all through qualifying as they are a step up from the rest of the teams that are in their group, but your squad of players aren't as good as the other countries and fall short in the competitions, it's not bottling it, or because they're shit, they're not, but they're a top 10 team, not a top 5 team which means you're gonna fall short most of the time.

The only England team I've seen that have underachieved in a big(ish) way was the Euro 96 tem, should have done better, especially due to being at home but the others? I don't look at them and think world beaters, not many players over the last 20 years would have got into a combined World x11 at any stage and that's what you're missing, you need one or two of the World's best player in a couple positions, or at least one or two that would be in the top 3 of their position, England have none and that's what tends to win big games in big international tournaments.

I think your last few managers have been shithouse too, the FA has been a bit like the RFU in that regard, if you got a decent manager in, you'd do better but the recent incumbents have been poor.

How Woy kept his place after Brazil I don't know.

I agree with a lot of this. England don't underachieve, they do about exactly as well as you'd expect given the quality they've got.

Another part of England's problem is that they're continually "aiming to win the next one". They seem to be endlessly talking about bringing in the new youngsters who are aiming to be the best in, say, 4 years time but they never actually reach that endpoint. Look at all the youngsters from the last euros---Martin Kelly (who?), Andy Carrol, Danny Welbeck, Phil Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott. None of them in the team this time. Instead they've been replaced by another group of youngsters who're going to be the next best thing in a few years time---except they probably won't.        

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    lloyd said:
    Who's escaped work and who's watching in the office? I escaped at 12
    WFH :)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    Oh god Sterling is starting again. He was rubbish against Russia. Let's hope Kane isn't taking corners. I have no Idea why he does. A big lad like that should be in the box, plus he can't take decent corners.
    Hopefully Woy explained that the opposition keeper isn't a mark to aim for, too.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    God .. why is the BBC coverage so jingoistic and embarrasing ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6288
    Roy looks pumped up for sure.,

BBC coverage is light years ahead of ITV.

so come on, score predctions......

0-0 from me.
    2-1 England, because they have to win it.