Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:
    Tough yeah but, I'd be absolutely amazed if you didn't win though.

I wouldn't be if Portugal knocked you out.

No ones really looked like scoring against you.

There negativity towards this English team then there's this...

This is hands down an easier game than Portugal.
    I'm not sure - Portugal would play an open attacking game which would suit England - I think we'd score goals as it would play to the strengths of our attack, and given Portugal's present form I think we could beat them. Iceland will have looked at England's last game and will probably camp in their own penalty area ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:

I'm not sure - Portugal would play an open attacking game which would suit England - I think we'd score goals as it would play to the strengths of our attack, and given Portugal's present form I think we could beat them. Iceland will have looked at England's last game and will probably camp in their own penalty area ...
    Every English player, coach and staff member will be much happier with Iceland.

They won't say it but they will be.

Every ex-pro, who I know aren't always (ever) right were made up with that last minute goal.

Portugal haven't been firing but Ronaldo's found his shooting boots and they're a threat.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:

Every ex-pro, who I know aren't always (ever) right were made up with that last minute goal.

Portugal haven't been firing but Ronaldo's found his shooting boots and they're a threat.

England took on Wales with Bale who has his shooting boots on and is in the same class as Ronaldo .. no disgrace in getting knocked out by Portugal .. but Iceland. Roy would be sacked on the spot. Iceland will be tough to beat.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:

England took on Wales with Bale who has his shooting boots on and is in the same class as Ronaldo .. no disgrace in getting knocked out by Portugal .. but Iceland. Roy would be sacked on the spot. Iceland will be tough to beat.
    I'm not saying Iceland won't be tough to beat, they will be difficult to break down.

Just that it's a better draw in the last 16 than Portugal, score first and the game's over.

This is now knock out football so expect the games to be very different-with the new qualifying rules we've seen some strange matches and results as teams have been trying to get 3 points and a half decent goal difference in order to get through.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    England v Iceland -  is time for pay back for the COD WARS!

http://arcticportal.org/images/stories/Fishing_Portlet/codwar1.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Outside of tournaments in England, the England football team have only ever won 5 knock-out games, beating:

Paraguay
    Ecuador
    Denmark
    Belgium &
    Cameroon....

That's a pretty shocking stat isn't it?

You should put a bid in to host a finals....
    What's your cut-off point?
    scrumhalf said:
    lloyd said:
    Outside of tournaments in England, the England football team have only ever won 5 knock-out games, beating:

Paraguay
    Ecuador
    Denmark
    Belgium &
    Cameroon....

That's a pretty shocking stat isn't it?

You should put a bid in to host a finals....
    What's your cut-off point?
    What do you mean?

I think it's just in all competitions, I have to say I've not checked it either, I'm just regurgitating something of FB..... :/

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    We won quite a few games overseas in World Cups abroad and, I think, in the Euros before 1982.
    scrumhalf said:
    We won quite a few games overseas in World Cups abroad and, I think, in the Euros before 1982.
    Knock out games?

5 seems about right to me looking back on your history.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    joeyowen said:
    Amazing! Home nations are doing us proud

If Ireland count as home?
    Northern Ireland certainly........... but Republic no.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    lloyd said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Knock out games?

5 seems about right to me looking back on your history.
    I think this is right. As soon as penalties loom then we are going home early. Iceland just need to defend a nil/nil for 120 minutes and then they are as good as through.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    I stand corrected.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    @Neil, I am from the Republic of Ireland and I have always considered both Ireland's, England, Wales and Scotland to be "home nations". And the BBC do too.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Rocker said:
    @Neil, I am from the Republic of Ireland and I have always considered both Ireland's, England, Wales and Scotland to be "home nations". And the BBC do too.....

Totally agree, and now the England v Wales game is out of the way I want all the home nations to go as far as possible (obviously 1 will go out this round, but it's been incredible to see them all get this far)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    As there's no actual football for two days...

The half time rest and turnaround goes back to the early days of football (apparently before the days of set rules they would play by one team's rules in the first half and the other 's in the second). For TV purposes it would be hard to get rid of the half time break but I'm not sure why at a pro level they need to change ends. Fans are sectioned to one end or the other so if there was no changing of ends then there might be fewer crowd issues. It would also be less confusing on hilights shows. At an amateur level one end of the pitch might be better than the other but at a pro level that shouldn't be the case.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6931

The half time rest and turnaround goes back to the early days of football (apparently before the days of set rules they would play by one team's rules in the first half and the other 's in the second). For TV purposes it would be hard to get rid of the half time break but I'm not sure why at a pro level they need to change ends. Fans are sectioned to one end or the other so if there was no changing of ends then there might be fewer crowd issues. It would also be less confusing on hilights shows. At an amateur level one end of the pitch might be better than the other but at a pro level that shouldn't be the case.
    There is arguably an advantage of having your crowd of fans next to you when you are in the oppositions half and so forth, I guess.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Remember the Framley Examiner?  

There was an article about Framley Rovers refusing to change ends at half time, on the grounds that "We were here first!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary;1123973" said:

Pro footballers are still human though-they miss penalties in pressure situations that they never would back on the trading park.

Home and away results are skewed in favour of the home team, while it shouldn't really make a difference.

As a Liverpool fan I'm fairly certain that we as a team have scored more goals in the Kop End than the Anfield Road End.

Fans aren't totally sectioned either, at most grounds the away fans have a small section of one end.

At international level it can be different I guess but it's different every time.

I'm not really sure if this is a serious post or not....confusion during highlight shows? Really?

I know a couple days without footy is tough but I'm not sure inventing problems is needed?

I'm not sure how changing ends contributes to fan troubles?

One issue could be that you can and do get some areas of the pitch (less so at the highest level these days admittedly) that have differing grass coverage, eg one line has more mud down it and it's right that both wingers/full backs have a go on the good and te bad.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I wonder if the French police are going to be different towards UK fans as a response to Brexit?
    Reports for the first two England games from friends who were there is the French police were being quite bolshy.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    I totally disagree with the playing of extra time.  Both teams have had 90 minutes to decide the match.  Then it should be straight into a penalty shootout.  Any team which has played 90 minutes + 30 minutes extra time is bound to be a little tired so they would be more 'beatable' in the next game.  Every team plays the same number of minutes but it is important to remember that each team can win the match in normal time.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum