Looking at a new motor....

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31263
I want to get something with a bit of umph.

I've kind of narrowed it down to:

BMW 635d (roomy, fat, economical)
A5 3.0TDi 4x4 (see above but with more grip)
Audi TT TTS (QUICK, economical, grippy, roomy boot)
Porsche Cayman 3,4S (Viceral, pinpoint steering, quick and turns like Johann Cruyff)
911 C4S (amazing but Cayman is better at most things and cheaper to run)

My inital thoughts are the Beemer is lovely but I'll get bored. The A5 is about to be superceeded and is a compromise. The TT is the head's choice and is a gayer's car, but that's obviously no concern to me (esp in Audi Motorsport blue) and it's seriously good value and lighting in a straight line. The Cayman is my heart's choice- the perfect sports car but I know Porsche seats well and a bad hip and those seats and suspension may not be good.

Any others to consider? I did think of an XKR but the inside is plastic.

Budget- £15-23k.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    Audi RS6

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31263
    edited May 2016

Audi RS6

It's an estate. I want a sporting coupe...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    Out of that list I would get the Cayman.

The A5 is quite a boring drive- the S5 is much nicer but doubt you'll get one on budget.

What about a 4 series coupe? 
    You could get a 435i for that sort of money and it will be faster than the Cayman (same engine as my M135i).
    More room than the TTS for lugging gear about.
    edited May 2016
    octatonic said:

The A5 is quite a boring drive- the S5 is much nicer but doubt you'll get one on budget.

You could get a 435i for that sort of money and it will be faster IN A STRAIGHT LINE BUT MUCH SLOWER AROUND CORNERS than the Cayman (same engine as my M135i).
    Fixed.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

You could get a 435i for that sort of money and it will be faster IN A STRAIGHT LINE BUT MUCH SLOWER AROUND CORNERS than the Cayman (same engine as my M135i).
    Fixed.
    Cayman then :)
    You know you want it.
    I do.

I know. :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    Have you driven an RS6? Estate it may be but it handles like a bloody fighter jet!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Porsche 911 (996s 3.6)....More Umph than the Cayman and probably better resale ?

Too much weight on the 4S

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited May 2016
    I have to say, I miss the build quality, I miss the steering, I miss the howl. Things may be quicker but the cachet is there. I adore the Cayman- I think it's the best car they make. It HAS to have heated sports seats and PASM tho.

I really like the TT but it is just a pretender to the crown but is 4k (or an original Vibroverb 63) cheaper, which is tempted- 0-60 in 4,6 is good too.

I'll never forget being loaned an R8 and being so disappointed in it - couldn't wait to get my C2S back.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Ive just been mulling over the 996 and the Caymen the past few months, currently have the Merc 350 SLK, so Im told I would want the 996 to notice any massive power improvment?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Avoid a 6 series ... I drive a BMW so it's not me being anti-BMW. There is a fair amount that needs doing at each service that makes owning one expensive. You'd get a decent four series for the sort of money your wanting to spend. That's what I'm after next.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    spark240 said:
    Ive just been mulling over the 996 and the Caymen the past few months, currently have the Merc 350 SLK, so Im told I would want the 996 to notice any massive power improvment?
    Cayman GTS is faster than the base 911, but otherwise, yes the base Cayman is roughly the same power as your SLK.
    Fretwired said:
    Avoid a 6 series ... I drive a BMW so it's not me being anti-BMW. There is a fair amount that needs doing at each service that makes owning one expensive. You'd get a decent four series for the sort of money your wanting to spend. That's what I'm after next.
    Mrs Oct is going from a 3 series convertible to a 4 series later in the year.
    Great car- the new gearbox is astonishingly good.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:
    They weren't out when I bought my current car ... will probably change it next year for a new 4 series. I know a few people that have them and they say they're great - sporty yet easy to drive round town and practical.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited May 2016
    Fretwired said:
    octatonic said:
    Fretwired said:
    They weren't out when I bought my current car ... will probably change it next year for a new 4 series. I know a few people that have them and they say they're great - sporty yet easy to drive round town and practical.
    Be careful with the convertible, if that is what you want.
    Personally I'd get the coupe, but this is mostly her car and she likes the roof coming off.

The convertible isn't as nice to drive- it is noticeably slower and heavier and when the top is down it either becomes a 2 seater (with the deflector in) or everyone gets a blow-dry.
    Neither these issues are deal breakers though.

I've decided my next car will be either an M3 or an M4- I've just got the M135i though so that won't be for at least 2 years.

Actually @Gassage, what about an M3 coupe?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2533
    You could get a TTRS rather than an S with your budget.

I'd avoid the 435i at the moment, soon you'll be able to get a 440i using the new B58 engine which seems to be better in every way (much as the N55 is great, it's just been taken as far as it'll go)

Also the Audi A5 diesel isn't all that fast (although it is grippy). Look at the S5 (either in V8 or turbo V6 depending on which you prefer). Both are faster, the V6 considerably so.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2533
    An E92 M3 is also a nice choice, epic engine although very thirsty.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    edited May 2016
    strtdv said:

I'd avoid the 435i at the moment, soon you'll be able to get a 440i using the new B58 engine which seems to be better in every way (much as the N55 is great, it's just been taken as far as it'll go)

Not for £23k.
    The 440i is a £43k car with no options.

ThorpyFX said:
    Have you driven an RS6? Estate it may be but it handles like a bloody fighter jet!
    Yes. Barge.

@octatonic

3.4S is 310 BHP, the 350 SLK is 268.

Porsches are about handling. 3.4S Cayman's 8,06 Nurbergring (310BHP) versus an M3 (E92 shape) 414 BHP 8,05 says everything you need to now.