Ed Sheeran's Plagiarism $20m Lawsuit

What's Hot
http://www.hollywoodtake.com/did-ed-sheeran-steal-photograph-20-million-lawsuit-alleges-hit-song-was-copied-matt-166576

Both songs here.  

I couldn't listen to either.  They are f*cking shit.  

I'd hate to be a lawyer in the case and have to listen to each song over and over again.  
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    They're nothing like eachother!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I still don't know why Charles Thompson IV didn't sue Coldplay for re-releasing "Where Is My Mind?".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    They're nothing like eachother!
    No.  I have to disagree with you. 

They both sound shite.  Like the aural counterpart of grinding and snorting two lines of a dog turd that was baked on a hot pavement and turned white.  It might look like cocaine but isn't.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    I couldn't listen to either.  They are f*cking shit.  
    I think what's been discovered here is that when two artists attempt to scrape the bottom of the same barrel, they both come up with the same foul-smelling oomska.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575

They mentioned this on 5 Live this morning and invited comments - it turned out nobody gave a shit about the possible plagiarism, they just took it as licence to slag off Sheeran and similar whiny-voiced drippy singer-songwriter types.

The phrase "musical equivalent of watery grey porridge" came up.  But then someone else tried to make the case that Ed Sheeran must be cool because he's had Chris Martin out of Coldplay join him on stage at a gig.....   :|

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    They probably are copied (subconciously at least) but its something where I find hard to give a shit considering its the most obvious 4 chord pattern in the world.

Will I Am had a thing a while back where he was ripping off undiscovered producers tracks which I found far more egregious but I find it harder to care about snatches of melody. Theres only so many notes in the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1768

The defence to this should be:

If two people win the national lottery jackpot by both choosing the exact same numbers has one copied another?

To me there's only a finite number of combinations where melody is concerned and as music can be quite mathematical at times this reduces the number of possible melodies even further.

It's a coincidence simple as that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5218
    gubble said:

The defence to this should be:

If two people win the national lottery jackpot by both choosing the exact same numbers has one copied another?

To me there's only a finite number of combinations where melody is concerned and as music can be quite mathematical at times this reduces the number of possible melodies even further.

It's a coincidence simple as that.

Probably this. Surely it would be practically impossible for the plaintiffs to prove that it was done deliberately.

$20 million? That sounds like a joke to me. Apparently it's because the song has been chosen to feature in the by-numbers weepie "Me Before You" that some of you poor bastards are going to get dragged to by your s'nificant others.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6592
    Don't get the hatred for Sheeran. For the vocals alone in Thinking Out Loud he gets my utmost respect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to go on record that if the judge in the case manages to swing an injunction preventing either piece ever being heard again, I will arrange for a Bakewell Pudding to be sent to them. If the judge does not want a Bakewell Pudding I will have it sent to the recipient of their choice.

If anyone would like to join me in this pledge, I intend to use the service offered by http://www.postapudding.com/PostAPudding.html

I am not affiliated with them but have had one of their puddings in the past; it was excellent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2614
    tFB Trader
    ok, so they sound the same, but they sound like something you have heard a thousand times, hardly an original melody
    imagine if every blues player/jazz player that has copied someone elses licks got sued.

in this cause the Lawyers = win
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Putting apart all the childish comments about the material, I don't get how they think they are 'owed' $20 million for just one song? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Putting apart all the childish comments about the material
    But they're the best bit of the thread!
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

So much jealousy in this thread...

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hobbio said:

So much jealousy in this thread...

I think that may be projection.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4378
    Awaits Sambostar's explanation of how this is an anti ginge initiative... 8->

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Its the fact they both rhyme on the "me" syllable as well which makes me think it is a subconscious ripoff. If it was a delibirate one he would have chosedn something more obscure surely.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Where is the case being heard?

I think we should get a crowd funding campaign going to fund lawyers to counter sue on the grounds the songs are shite and we've all been damaged and hurt as a result of having to listen to them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    They both sound like Snow Patrol i.e. shite.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    They simply can't lose 

If they win, great 20mil
    If they lose, their names are on every news outlet for the remainder of what will be a drawn out process

Massively publicity, or massive publicity and 20mil

Awesome!