Takeaway pizza

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
Having tried all the big chain pizza's I've become disenchanted with takeaway pizza. Over priced and too bland or salty for the most part with Dominoes being the worst culprit.
I decided to try Farmhouse Pizza the other night as a change, £13 for an 18" pizza, when dominoes is £17 for 14.5". I'll not be going back to Dominoes again for sure!

Not set the world on fire level, but at least equivalent to the big chains in quality (possibly slightly better) but just far better value too.
I've tried Tops Pizza before but was underwhelmed, thinking of trying Pizza GoGo next, anyone know of any other small chains/independant pizzas that provide similarly good value?
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2016

For me pizza hut et al aren't really pizzas.

Try something with a super thin stonebaked base. My favourites tend to be family run Italian restaurants. Nice, cheap and delicious.

Failing that I'll be at Strada.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    We'll have dominos occasionally, but only when we can get it on BOGOF, either on a Tuesday or with a voucher. 

Wife is away all weekend, so I'll be ordering myself one of the largest pizzas they do from here: http://www.fattoni.co.uk

Not eaten one from there yet, but everyone tells me it's by far the best pizza in the County. I'm pretty excited. 
  • Not a pizza fan but I like the flatbread pizzas I do on the bbq. And there is a local place that do a thin feta and spinach which is nice.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited June 2016

I dislike the Dominoes pizzas, I find them overloaded with cheese. I haven't been into a Pizza Hut in years, but they used to be OK. I can't get my head around why cheese on toast is so expensive, though, cos that's pretty much all it is.

Anyway, Mrs C has rocked up with a new gas BBQ yesterday which has a pizza-cooking thing on it.

https://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-26791-4-series-rbs-lxs.aspx

Not sure how it works yet, but I'll be wasting some Company time to find out a bit later on, and I like the griddle thing.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

One of our local curry houses does pizzas. Chicken Tikka pizza is the new religion.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    in my experience all takeaway pizzas are rank, too salty and fatty.

If I want a pizza it will usually be something from the supermarket, on a thing base. Tesco do some good ones. Then you can do your own toppings.

Or has been said, small Italian restaurant.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Avoid the Dr. Oettker ones like the plague.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Snap said:
    in my experience all takeaway pizzas are rank, too salty and fatty.

If I want a pizza it will usually be something from the supermarket, on a thing base. Tesco do some good ones. Then you can do your own toppings.

Or has been said, small Italian restaurant.
    This is the point of them no?

I love a pizza personally, proper job Italian ones through to Dominoe's efforts, they're different dishes in all fairness-the takeaway ones are just a way to get as much cheap cheese and salt and pepperoni into your gut while the thin Italian ones are about the sauce and the cheese, pushing it with perhaps a bit of ham on there too.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Pizza Hut is the absolute shittest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3119
    Make your own.  Shaping the dough takes a little bit or practice to get it really circular and even but it's quite theraputic.  Otherwise its pretty easy. You can choose exactly what topping you put on it too.
    oh and get a pizza stone. Not expensive and you can use it for other stuff other than pizza.
  • Homemade pizza is the shit.
    Youll never get a better tasting base, and you control what goes on it.
    Its dead easy too!
    Make your own.  Shaping the dough takes a little bit or practice to get it really circular and even but it's quite theraputic.  Otherwise its pretty easy. You can choose exactly what topping you put on it too.
    oh and get a pizza stone. Not expensive and you can use it for other stuff other than pizza.
    Kinda takes away (hello)  the point of a takeaway though no?

Being a fat lazy bastard who can't be arsed cooking.

I've made my own dough in the past and made great pizzas but it's not one to do on a friday after a long week in work (for me).

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited June 2016
    Dominoes Pizza is by far the worst fucking abomination to be called 'pizza' I've ever had. If your meaty pizza has an overbearing taste of sugar, then something is not right. How the bloody hell can anybody eat that shit.

Papa Johns is where it's at. Pizza Go-Go is also very good.

• BowksBowks Frets: 436
    Depends whereabouts in the UK you're located. 

My current favourite is Mamma Dough, but they are a small chain operating in SE London. http://www.mammadough.co.uk/

You may well be able to find a Franco Manca near you instead, which also sell decent stonebaked pizzas. 

Mamma Dough is a 5 minute walk down the road from me and will have competition very soon from another establishment due to open in July that is a cocktail bar selling wood oven fired pizzas too.

I am fucking spoilt! (and getting fat again)
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    lloyd said:

Quoted for truthers

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    We only use our local Pizza Express, for this exact reason.

That said, a new pizza takeaway has just opened 30 yards from my house, which apparently has a real chef doing stonebaked pizzas properly. Gonna give it a shot, at least...
    <space for hire>
    lloyd said:

Quoted for truthers

Ha!

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Dopesick said:
    Papa Johns is where it's at.
    Our local one makes nasty, stodgy messes and takes ages about it.
    We only use our local Pizza Express, for this exact reason.
    Not tried them for takeaway, but we gave up on Pizza Express - last three visits were awful (to three different ones) and we walked out of the last attempt after half an hour of being ignored and "Just a minute"-ed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    Takeaway pizzas an unnecessary cost.  One can get equally nice pizzas in supermarkets.  You only have to pop them in the oven.

I didn't get where I am today by spending £15 on a takeaway.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Sainsbury/ Tesco/ Asda certainly don't do great pizza. I occaisionally buy one from Waitrose, I am rarely in a Waitrose but if I am it is one thing worth having. Although, of course, it's no paneer pizza from Mr Singhs*...

*for the benefit of regular readers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.