Clenching chest pain, ache down the neck and arm - anything to worry about?

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
I've been getting some intermittent chest pains and some sort of nerve pain down my neck, shoulder, and arm over the past few days. Sometimes with pins and needles and numbness. 

Got a GP appointment tomorrow but feel like I am wasting his time.

Anyone else had similar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    Chest pains - ALWAYS see a doctor. You are not wasting his or her time.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    Yep, for me it was stress but if it happens again before your appointment I'd be down at A and E sharpish. Or at the very least call NHS direct or whatever it's called these days When you call out doctors for an appointment you first get a recorded message that says is yiu have chest pains call 999 immediately. I hope everything is ok but you Can't be too careful.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    If you're having problems why on earth would you think you are wasting his time? Things like that you should always get checked. If it comes to nothing more than too much wanking then all is good. If there is a problem however, rather you find out and get it sorted before it gets any worse.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Chest pain I would be going to A&E.
    A GP appointment is the bare minimum.

Good luck mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks, I thought it might be stress, but I don't feel stressed or anxious. Quite the opposite. Working quite long hours atm but enjoying the job and working with my colleagues. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Well they sound like classic symptoms of a heart attack to me.  Ask @Emp_Fab ?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    You should definitely go. Could be lots of things.

I had a heart attack like event which is like a bad version of all that. Many tests later I still don't know what it was ( well, I think I do - unwell with a virus topped off with a massive panic attack) but they can quickly eliminate some of the worst things with a few tests. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    In particular, chest pain with numbness/ pins and needles/ pain in left arm, get straight to A&E.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    Sounds like you have had a heart attack.  Go to A&E now or pack a bag as your GP will probable send you there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Go to hospital or an out of hours doctors. If your GP is like mine, you could well die of old age before actually seeing a competent doctor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No point phoning nhs direct they will say A&E pronto.

I had similar things and you instantly think heart attack, especially when you get the heavy weight crushing your chest feeling but I have had bloods done and cameras in all places and it turns out I have a hiatus hernia so that pain can be had and it be not too serious.

That aside if it is coming more than it is going you should have a wander to A&E

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422

TheMarlin said:
    In particular, chest pain with numbness/ pins and needles/ pain in left arm, get straight to A&E.
    I had this on Saturday but it went away after about 15 mins. Came on again this morning, again went away. Now, just feel really tired. Slight feeling of heartburn/indigestion. My bet is that it is part of the ongoing GI problems I've been having, tests for which so far have drawn a blank!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    If I were you' I'd sacrifice a few hours waiting at A&E to be on the safe side.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Get yourself up A & E dude, best be safe ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    I thought this was going to be a joke thread - along the lines of 'I had my leg cut off, should I see a doctor?'

Agree with the 'A&E to be on the safe side' comments. Wish you well!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    When i went to A+E with exactly this a few years ago they didn't keep me waiting longer than 15 minutes before hooking me up to every test they could think of.
    Triage is there to prioritise cases and they view your symptoms as one of the most serious.

You won't wait as long as you think if you tell them what you've told us.

Taxi, NOW.

Best of luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Heart-attack/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

I don't want to cause alarm but the first 2 symptoms almost match your description exactly, and the advice on the page in bold is to

Dial 999 immediately

If I were in your situation I'd follow it. What's the worst that could happen? They'll tell you everything is fine and send you home. A lot better than the worst that could happen if you leave it too late!

(BTW if you go to A&E you won't need to wait, as they'll fast track you if they think it's anything to do with your heart. I would NOT drive yourself there though.)

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    999/A+E right away. Best wishes.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10409
    /\ Wot they said.Good luck.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Yep A & E is your friend.

The alarming part is they treat you as though you have had a heart attack - ECG done immediately, bloods taken, chest X-Ray, etc.

I went through this a few years ago and was given a clean bill of health.

Notwithstanding this - these are not symptoms you piss about with - waiting for them to pass may kill you. Unlikely - but pointless taking the chance...