Clenching chest pain, ache down the neck and arm - anything to worry about?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    edited June 2016
    mellowsun said:

TheMarlin said:
    In particular, chest pain with numbness/ pins and needles/ pain in left arm, get straight to A&E.
    I had this on Saturday but it went away after about 15 mins. Came on again this morning, again went away. Now, just feel really tired. Slight feeling of heartburn/indigestion. My bet is that it is part of the ongoing GI problems I've been having, tests for which so far have drawn a blank!
    @mellowsun

Er.... I don't want to be alarmist, but get the fuck to A&E - NOW.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be ringing 999 to get a flashy taxi there as well.  My heart attack felt VERY similar to your symptoms.  I thought mine was just bad indigestion.  Seriously.

I had chest pain, pain in my left arm and what I thought was indigestion.  It was a blocked coronary artery.  IF yours is cardiac related, the longer you leave it the more permanent damage is being done to your heart.  It may be nothing, in which case you've lost a few hours of an evening.  However, if you ignore my advice and don't get it checked out, the next time the pains come back may be with a vengeance.  Get it checked out now, whilst you are still able to do something about it.  You can't call 999 if you've stopped breathing.

The inconvenience of going to A&E is massively outweighed by the risks of not doing so with your symptoms.  Don't be an idiot and shrug this off - this could very easily be a life or death decision.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    You'll be fine, make yourself a nice chip butty then enjoy a relaxing and stress relieving cigar with a tot or two of whiskey......don't do this, as above get to the docs asap with things like this.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ...well, he's not logged in anymore, so either he's gone to A&E or he's been decent enough to click 'log out' as he's gone into cardiac arrest.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited June 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...well, he's not logged in anymore, so either he's gone to A&E or he's been decent enough to click 'log out' as he's gone into cardiac arrest.
    Emp,
    That line will stay with me forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ;))  Thankyou kind Sir.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8140
    Good luck to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited June 2016
    And in next week's episode of "Fretboard 111", the boys are in a bit of a kerfuffle after their Transit-based ambulance is driven into a group of innocent bystanders by Sambostar.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Emp_Fab;1118960" said:
    Post of the year <:-P
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    mellowsun said:
    Thanks, I thought it might be stress, but I don't feel stressed or anxious. Quite the opposite. Working quite long hours atm but enjoying the job and working with my colleagues. 

I didn't feel stressed or anxious either but that's exactly what was causing my chest pains. I now work as a therapist specializing in anxiety and most of my clients don't feel anxious up until the point where everything goes tits up.

It may not be any of these things but don't man up about it, get it all checked out. You're probably right, and I hope that you are, that it's to do with the ongoing problems you've been having. 

Hope all is well fella and let us know.  
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Emp_Fab;1118960" said:
    If I post about a serious health problem remind me not to ask @Emp_Fab for sympathy :D

On a serious note I hope @mellowsun is ok

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    FFS, whats going on here.......

Right, I'm having all the symptoms of angina/heart attack, but instead of phoning the doc, I'll go on the fretboard, and ask a load of guitarists what they think first.....

hope all is well mellowsun, and that it was actually bad indigestion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Took my dad 30minutes to die from a heart-attack.

GO TO A FUCKING DOCTOR YOU IRRESPONSIBLE JACKASS!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Having had heart attack symptoms 3 times in the past 10 years I'd also waste no time in getting to A&E with any such pains.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    Well, he was online after 8am today, but didn't post. That suggests a number of possibilities (one of which is his family coming on here to check how much his guitar collection is worth), but I'm going to choose to think it's because he's fine.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited June 2016
    Thanks all for your concern.  Had another episode this morning, chest pain, hands and face go ice cold, pain down left side of neck and arm.

Heart rate, blood pressure and ECG all normal. It's a mystery.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Yep..I had Costochondritus last year which had several of your symptoms..maybe worth a look :)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    edited June 2016
    mellowsun said:
    Thanks all for your concern.  Had another episode this morning, chest pain, hands and face go ice cold, pain down left side of neck and arm.

Bit late to this party, but from a quick skim-read I'm glad you're OK.

I would also say to never, ever, ever think you're wasting the time of medical professionals.  If you're not well, that's what they're there for.  Sorry if this comes off as condescending - it's personal experience from having a serious medical complaint.  Me doing the 'not bothering them, can't be arsed' bit, my wife urging me to do the opposite, and then me finding out there was really something not very nice up with me.

Edited to add - I sincerely hope there's nothing up with you, I wasn't trying to scaremonger!  Just trying to illustrate the importance of getting to see the quack if something looks iffy.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    mellowsun;1119391" said:

Ask them to check your potassium levels...

I know someone who had these symptoms - it was stress related and high potassium.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6596
    What PRS did the doctor have....?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Drew_fx said:
    Took my dad 30minutes to die from a heart-attack.

GO TO A FUCKING DOCTOR YOU IRRESPONSIBLE JACKASS!!!
    Our drummer had a heart attack during one of our rehearsals and I had no idea, not at all the dramatic thing I'd seen on the tv. He went to hospital and they confirmed what it was.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom