Boris for Prime Minister..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
Oh Lord, please give me strength...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Thankfully there is this system called democracy and an event called an election...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Chalky said:
    Thankfully there is this system called democracy and an event called an election…
    Which will take place entirely within the Conservative Party.

The rest of us have no say.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Chalky said:
    Thankfully there is this system called democracy and an event called an election...
    Nope, only the parliamentary party involved. No election, no democracy, we'll have him stuffed up our arses, like it or not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'll take BoJo over Theresa May. Boris championed the living wage, opposed tax credit cuts, disability benefit cuts, the bedroom tax and did pretty well for London. He's to the left of Cameron and Osborne. May's an old fashioned nasty right wing Tory. Careful what you wish for ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    every Royal Court needs a Jester !
    He loves to play the Toff Buffoon - but he is a great self publicist
    I never realised he was from a part Turkish background ( makes him a bit more likeable )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    every Royal Court needs a Jester !
    He loves to play the Toff Buffoon - but he is a great self publicist
    I never realised he was from a part Turkish background ( makes him a bit more likeable )
    BoJo is a worldwide brand .. the Chinese love him which could be an advantage when doing trade deals. He has a certain charm. Imagine May as PM ... shudders ...

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Dominic said:
    I never realised he was from a part Turkish background 
    He mentioned it once or twice during the campaign ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I never realised he was from a part Turkish background 
    He mentioned it once or twice during the campaign ;-)
    I must have missed it .. ;-)

Dominic said:
    Does it also make him easier to deport?

:)

(I knew, by the way.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22577
    BoJo might be a worldwide brand but so is Osama bin Laden. Not sure I'd want him going to Shanghai to find new pork markets. 

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    And no-one else thinks the whole Brexit thing was a way for him to have a shot at big Dave's job, something he has openly been after for a long time.

The people of London voted him in and don't seem to mind him, yet the people of London were also clearly opposed to his Brexit stance........
    Richardj said:
    And no-one else thinks the whole Brexit thing was a way for him to have a shot at big Dave's job, something he has openly been after for a long time.
    I've always thought it was.

I never believed him when he said he was "genuinely conflicted" or whatever it was he said about whether to support Leave or Remain - even if it wasn't obvious as soon as he declared for Leave and became the strongest advocate for it overnight. He's always been a Europhobe - the only genuine conflict was whether he thought it was worth gambling his political future to openly oppose Cameron over it.

He knows exactly what he wants and has been a ruthless opportunist in getting it. The amiable buffoonery is just something he's used to his advantage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Richardj said:

The people of London voted him in and don't seem to mind him, yet the people of London were also clearly opposed to his Brexit stance........
    I initially thought that but from the off the Remain camp were more likely to win. Getting people to vote for Brexit was going to be a big ask. I'd have thought the best thing to do if that was his only motivation would have been to join Remain, support Dave and get Dave's endorsement to replace him unopposed. I'd have thought that the easy route. Cameron and co dragged defeat from the jaws of victory. I didn't think the official Leave campaign was that good.

If Boris had joined Leave and Leave had lost that would have been the end of him. AS it is it could still be end of him as if he becomes PM he'll have to clear up the mess.

I must admit that I thought Boris would go to the polls for a mandate in October but you make me doubt it now.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    "amiable buffoonery "................so true
    Reminds me of the Monty Python Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition sketch......." our tactics are surprise,cunning and surprise "
    or something like that...
    The amiable buffoonery masks a highly intelligent and ambitious individual who was an eminent Oxford Historian - he ain't no ordinary buffoon......he is a one man self marketing machine and self publicist ,self promoter and entertainer of very high intellect who uses the jester routine to diffuse the gravitas of his intellect rather than alienate the general population.Very clever man who would probably make a very good PM and World class Statesman . I am not a Tory fan-boy or even a Tory but even tho'he can be annoying it is hard to vehemently dislike the man. Good for him.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I suspect his style also means he enjoys most days at work and reduces the stress levels of what must be a very difficult job.
    If he becomes the Tory leader then his popularity would lead to a landslide win at the next election imo (and I'm generally fairly left wing).
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    The lovable buffoon thing is a great act, he's a character, but you don't get where he is today without being a shrewd operator and putting in a lot of hard work, no matter who your parents are or what school you went to. I'm no fan of his politics btw.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    Boris is all about Boris.

He doesn't give shyte about anything as long as it benefits him. If Cameron had been heading up the leave campaign you can be sure the Boris would have be  the figurehead of Remain. He truly is one of the most loathsome opportunistic and amoral politicians that I have ever seen.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    equalsql;1125460" said:
    Boris is all about Boris.

He doesn't give shyte about anything as long as it benefits him. If Cameron had been heading up the leave campaign you can be sure the Boris would have be  the figurehead of Remain. He truly is one of the most loathsome opportunistic and amoral politicians that I have ever seen.
    You have seen Blair, haven't you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    He sounded very subdued when I heard him speaking on the radio earlier, not at all triumphalist. As things stand he's the best of a pretty sorry bunch. I'm struggling to think of anyone who would be substantially better than him in the job as things stand. As one of the key proponents of leave he will have a huge vested interest in seeing it succeed.