A realisation...

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    I still like everyone here just as much as I did before.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Brexitgate

You heard it here first

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Just been unfriended by someone because I voted leave. He didn't even ask me why.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    I must admit, I've ditched quite a few - only because they seemed to delight in abusing and insulting my actual friends in the process of crowing over the result.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    Yeah but you only voted in the hope that they would boot 'er indoors out Innit playa
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    edited June 2016
    I've defriended no-one over this.

I have unfollowed a couple of people on both sides of the divide so my wall isn't inundated with relentless stupidity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Drew_fx said:
    Just been unfriended by someone because I voted leave. He didn't even ask me why.

Same. All I've done is politely request that remainers stop calling everyone who disagrees with them stupid, uneducated, racist or xenophobic.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I've always kept Facebook as a fairly tight group of genuine friends and good acquaintances rather than a huge list of anyone I've met in passing so I won't be unfriending anyone from either side but I think a break from the site is needed. A quick look at this mornings FB wall included one long whiny Remainer rant, multiple gloating leavers and a shared Graphic of how many times the EU has ignored the will of the people (this was shared as a positive that we might stay in).
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Anyone who posts more politics than anything else has always been unfollowed by me. I come here for arguments, Facebook is a rubbish medium for such discussions because actual friends are at stake for people who can't see beyond the issue.
    I'm not just talking about Facebook btw. I mean in real life too.

I need off this planet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Bidley said:
    Same. All I've done is politely request that remainers stop calling everyone who disagrees with them stupid, uneducated, racist or xenophobic.
    This has become an interesting tactic by the leavers - lots of people repeating it, essentially demonising the entire remain campaign and all its supporters over the actions of a fairly small number of arseholes (compared to how many people actually voted remain, I mean).

Interesting the juxtaposition of that with the other popular message "we've all got to pull together", which is shorthand for "the remainers must support the leave campaign now".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Bidley said:
    This has become an interesting tactic by the leavers - lots of people repeating it, essentially demonising the entire remain campaign and all its supporters over the actions of a fairly small number of arseholes (compared to how many people actually voted remain, I mean).

Interesting the juxtaposition of that with the other popular message "we've all got to pull together", which is shorthand for "the remainers must support the leave campaign now".
    Well I know it's anecdotal, but every single one of my Facebook friends that is interested or involved in politics and voted remain, has had a steady stream of status updates since Friday essentially calling 51% of the population racist xenophobes or ignorant little Englander idiots.

I don't disbelieve you, and it saddens me that - while it was obviously going to be emotional either way - that is happening.

I think there were almost certainly both racists/xenophobes and idiots who voted leave, but I certainly don't think that everyone who voted leave is either of those - you and Fret are very obvious examples. I also think there are clearly plenty of stupid people who voted remain. I'm honestly unsure if any/many racists/xenophobes voted remain.

I also think that when people post that the remainers should stop abusing the leavers that they're referring to the remainers who are abusing the leavers, but it is easy to fall into the wrong wording.

My word I'm hand-wringy today. 8-|
    I've seen quite a bit of that too- you can always unfollow them but stay friends.
    I've not unfollowed anyone yet.
    Drew_fx said:
    I've not unfollowed anyone yet.
    It is the FB equivalent of excusing yourself to go and get a drink from the bar, when really your friend is acting like a tit and you'd rather not watch them but you don't want to ruin the friendship.
    I find it quite useful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    I've unfollowed quite a few FB friends, and every one has been due to political bleating.

I have no problem with the argument that some Leave voters are racist and/or idiots, but I also know a large number who absolutely aren't, but just want change compared with the current political status quo.

It seems that the main argument of the left in recent years has been that anyone who disagrees with them is heartless, or evil, or just plain stupid. It's not a convincing narrative and I'm sure is a chunky part of why the Labour Party is struggling to gain any ground despite the most shambolic Tory government in living memory.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    I only follow about 10% of my FB friends, purely because of "look at me" posts, a couple in particular I would happily punch if I saw them following the last couple of days and their failed attempts at intellectualism.

In fact  if it wasn't for motorbike and guitar stuff my timeline would hardly move! 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited June 2016
    I've just had a look and the last time I posted anything up on Facebook was 12th April! I could die and no-one would know .

Don't be so hard on yourself.

A neighbour or the postie would notice the smell after a few weeks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom