So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Chalky said:
    I just follows the rules of the voting, Sir. (Doffs imaginary cap) ;)
    Precisely why the rules need to be improved. QED.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31967
    ICBM said:
    On the other hand you seem to think that a result dictated by the minority who shouts the loudest is democracy.
    Well that's how it was when the Greeks invented it.

(Wonder how they're getting on now...)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31967
    edited July 2016
    Chalky is right though, there is a tendency towards intellectual snobbery when it comes to letting the general public vote on complex issues, but I've been very encouraged by last week's developments.
    I've spent my entire life thinking that around three quarters of the population are credulous numpties, it turns out it's only 52%.

Every cloud an' all that. :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    p90fool;1134241" said:
    Chalky is right though, there is a tendency towards intellectual snobbery when it comes to letting the general public vote on complex issues, but I've been very encouraged by last week's developments.

I've spent my entire life thinking that around three quarters of the population are credulous numpties, it turns out it's only 52%.

Oooo you're on the ball this morning! :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    p90fool said:

Stealing this.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    ICBM said:
    On the other hand you seem to think that a result dictated by the minority who shouts the loudest is democracy.
    How is 52% the minority?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12055
    edited July 2016
    p90fool;1134241" said:

Well, statistically around 50% of the population have an IQ under 100 and 50% over 100...:p.

There's another explanation!
    Troy said:

How is 52% the minority?
    Does this really need explaining?

52% of a 72% turnout is 37% of the electorate. ie a minority.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2621
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Troy said:

How is 52% the minority?

or 37% majority for leave
    with 34% minority for stay
    with 28% minority who did not care enough to vote

it is still a majority when looked at as a whole
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;1134392" said:
    [quote=Troy]
    How is 52% the minority?

[/quote]

I don't think you can class 37% of the electorate as a minority. Minroity would be more like 10% or less. And that's still more then who voted for remain.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29179
    It depends a bit on how you assess the didn't-voters.

If they saw it as "d'you want to change the current situation?" then not voting might be equivalent, to them, of "no, I don't want to change".

If they saw it as just a load of old grey men arguing a lot then it could well be "I just do not care what the outcome is".

If they saw it as something they didn't feel qualified to answer then...

If they thought it was definitely going one way or the other then it could be tacit approval of what they thought would happen anyway.

And, of course, it varies by person, just as leavers and remainers will each have had individual reasons.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Your first line is wrong. It should be 37% minority for leave.

No, the exact point is that when looked at *as a whole* it is a minority - 37% to 63%.

Troy said:
    I don't think you can class 37% of the electorate as a minority. Minroity would be more like 10% or less.
    49.999% of the electorate is a minority.

Do you actually understand what minority and majority mean?

Sporky said:
    It depends a bit on how you assess the didn't-voters.

If they saw it as "d'you want to change the current situation?" then not voting might be equivalent, to them, of "no, I don't want to change".

If they saw it as just a load of old grey men arguing a lot then it could well be "I just do not care what the outcome is".

If they saw it as something they didn't feel qualified to answer then...

If they thought it was definitely going one way or the other then it could be tacit approval of what they thought would happen anyway.

And, of course, it varies by person, just as leavers and remainers will each have had individual reasons.
    Exactly - because they did not vote and you do not know how they might have, you cannot claim that a majority of the people voted for a change. (I know you aren't personally.)

I know very well that the larger minority "won" because almost a third of the electorate didn't vote. To me, that isn't good enough when we're talking about such a huge change that will affect those who did not vote as much as it will those who did.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    The overwhelming amount of work that's going to have to be done large portions of all types of 
    Troy said:
    ICBM;1134392" said:
    [quote=Troy]
    How is 52% the minority?

[/quote]

I don't think you can class 37% of the electorate as a minority. Minroity would be more like 10% or less. And that's still more then who voted for remain.
    I think you probably can, as that's what the word means!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Exactly - because they did not vote and you do not know how they might have, you cannot claim that a majority of the people voted for a change. (I know you aren't personally.)
    Indeed - nor, similarly, can anyone claim that they were effectively voting for no change. I suppose they could be polled, but it's after the fact which may well make the answer now different from the answer then.
    CBM said:
    Troy said:
    I don't think you can class 37% of the electorate as a minority. Minroity would be more like 10% or less.

Yes I do, it also depends on context. Ignoring the non voters (as we don't know what way they would have voted) then means the Remain voters are the minority. 

Then again, what do I know, I voted leave so means i'm uneducated, though never knew having a 2.1 degree in ICT means i'm uneducated...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Troy said:
    CBM said:
    Troy said:

Yes I do, it also depends on context. Ignoring the non voters (as we don't know what way they would have voted) then means the Remain voters are the minority. 

Then again, what do I know, I voted leave so means i'm uneducated, though never knew having a 2.1 degree in ICT means i'm uneducated...
    Ignoring the straw man, a minority of the electorate voted leave, no matter how you dress it up.

A majority of the electorate that voted, voted leave.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Troy said:
    Then again, what do I know, I voted leave so means i'm uneducated, though never knew having a 2.1 degree in ICT means i'm uneducated…
    When did I say that it did?

However claiming that a 37% is not a minority and that it needs to be something like 10% or less is simply wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2621
    tFB Trader

ICBM said:
    Your first line is wrong. It should be 37% minority for leave.

No, the exact point is that when looked at *as a whole* it is a minority - 37% to 63%.
    no its not, your way of presenting the figures suggest that 63% was a united voice and is too ambiguous, it is exactly the sort of thing the campaigns did to make things look better or worse than they actually are.

My way shows that the leave voters held a majority, i.e. the largest number, but it makes it clear that it is not more than half of the electorate.

I obviously understand your frustration with the poor turnout, I have the same frustration to be honest but arguing over semantics is not going to change anything here, Glasgow only had 54% turnout, I cannot understand that, the youth only had a 32% turnout, I cannot understand that, there is no logical explanation to peoples apathy other than they did not care enough which way the vote went.
    ICBM said:
    Troy said:
    Then again, what do I know, I voted leave so means i'm uneducated, though never knew having a 2.1 degree in ICT means i'm uneducated…
    When did I say that it did?
    You didn't. It's a standard leaver tactic this year - dismiss remain voters by claiming they're all intolerant snobs, while missing the irony of such a claim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I CBA to reply any more on posts regarding the referendum. All I read is that the Remain wants another referendum (Though do wonder what they would have said if the results were reversed), as well as name calling us Leave voters (eg cunt, rascist, uneducated, unemployed, ignorant, etc.. (go read some of the posts again if you don't believe me)). I've stated one of my reasons why I voted leave (Fishing industry) and no one from the Remain has commented as they know that's a valid point.

I'm (like the UK) out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom