So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    quarky;1133674" said:
    A fall in house prices is good for many existing home owners because it makes it easier to trade up. It is also good for first time buyers.
    Theoretically right - but in practice wrong.

Those siting in bigger houses simply stay put until prices recover - thereby preventing people in smaller houses from moving up.

First time buyers were faced with the need to provide massive deposits in the Credit Crunch because high loan-to-value mortgages were unavaible, as banks aimed to cushion themselves against future falls in property values. 20% of 90% of today's prices is a lot more in pound-amount terms than 5% of current values....

Dramatic 'shock-driven' house-price falls always knacker the economy, in my experience.
    Very much so.
    And BTL landlords swoop in and pick up housing stock cheap.
    The only people who sell when it drops tends to be people who have to- defaults/probates/relocations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Standard & Poor have just cut the EU's credit rating. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1988
    siremoon;1133813" said:
    That's no surprise, the impact of Brexit will be global.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2016
    quarky;1133674" said:
    A fall in house prices is good for many existing home owners because it makes it easier to trade up. It is also good for first time buyers.
    Theoretically right - but in practice wrong.

Those siting in bigger houses simply stay put until prices recover - thereby preventing people in smaller houses from moving up.

First time buyers were faced with the need to provide massive deposits in the Credit Crunch because high loan-to-value mortgages were unavaible, as banks aimed to cushion themselves against future falls in property values. 20% of 90% of today's prices is a lot more in pound-amount terms than 5% of current values....

Dramatic 'shock-driven' house-price falls always knacker the economy, in my experience.
    We are not talking about dramatic shock-driven house prise falls though with "emergency budgets", "nobody to pick apples", "the coal mines having to open", "and MPs introducing new rules to make life more difficult." While we could well have a 2008 style crisis, things are looking fairly calm all thinks considered, at least here, now.

A rise interest rates isn't going to have that 2008 like effect (well, unless the Eurozone goes mental again, it is like a swamped boat), so a fall in house prices through rates rises is going to be fairly ordered in comparison, and unlikely to make people stay-put to the same degree.

I cant see a fall in house prices though - isnt that price primarily determined by supply and demand?  Im pretty sure the demand is much higher than the supply is (covered on BBC4 a couple of days ago, that house price falls were very unlikley).

Yep. I said that before the referendum. Supply and demand makes a huge difference. Good for those of us who already have property, but we are screwing over our children in so many ways.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    exocet said:
    siremoon;1133813" said:
    That's no surprise, the impact of Brexit will be global.

Indeed.  A timely demonstration that the EU don't hold all the cards in this.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited June 2016
    Oh no! We've been downgraded! The shame!

At AA we're doomed to be languishing alongside those notorious basket-cases Belgium, France, New Zealand, South Korea and Kuwait. But at least we're still above festering economic hellholes like Poland, Japan and Saudi Arabia.

Looking at those charts, Ken, Jez and Sean Penn should be very worried; Venezuela's rated CCC.

Viva la revolucion!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    quarky;1133831" said:
    We are not talking about dramatic shock-driven house prise falls though with "emergency budgets", "nobody to pick apples", "the coal mines having to open", "and MPs introducing new rules to make life more difficult." While we could well have a 2008 style crisis, things are looking fairly calm all thinks considered, at least here, now.

A rise interest rates isn't going to have that 2008 like effect (well, unless the Eurozone goes mental again, it is like a swamped boat), so a fall in house prices through rates rises is going to be fairly ordered in comparison, and unlikely to make people stay-put to the same degree.
    No - I fundamentally disagree with you.

House price falls are never 'ordered' - they reflect a serve loss of economic confidence - if you've watched the news today, the Governor of the Bank of England is talking about cutting interest rates - not increasing them - if they thought everything was hunky dory, they would not be contemplating a rise.

A close friend of mine - who owns an estate agency business in a wealthy part of South Manchester told me today that 'the phone has stopped ringing' - both from new buyer and potential sellers. That's real feedback on the market, from someone who's lived and worked in the same town from over 10 years.

Just to remind you - rates have not gone up - and these a strong possibility they will fall. Brexit has brought about a dramatic change in sentiment. The question is how long it will last. Stagnant/stable prices are fine - falling ones indicate trouble ahead.
    edited June 2016
    quarky;1133831" said:

No - I fundamentally disagree with you.

House price falls are never 'ordered' - they reflect a serve loss of economic confidence - if you've watched the news today, the Governor of the Bank of England is talking about cutting interest rates - not increasing them - if they thought everything was hunky dory, they would not be contemplating a rise.

I said ordered in comparison. Everything is definitely not hunky dory, there is still a lot of uncertainly, and who knows what could happen tomorrow/Monday/August/December. But at the moment at least, this is no 2008 style crash.

A close friend of mine - who owns an estate agency business in a wealthy part of South Manchester told me today that 'the phone has stopped ringing' - both from new buyer and potential sellers. That's real feedback on the market, from someone who's lived and worked in the same town from over 10 years.

Just to remind you - rates have not gone up - and these a strong possibility they will fall. Brexit has brought about a dramatic change in sentiment. The question is how long it will last. Stagnant/stable prices are fine - falling ones indicate trouble ahead.

Sure, but for a few days? A week? Let's see how things are in longer than 6 days..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077

At AA we're doomed to be languishing alongside those notorious basket-cases Belgium, France, New Zealand, South Korea and Kuwait. But at least we're still above festering economic hellholes like Poland, Japan and Saudi Arabia.
    You can laugh and think it doesn't mean much, but it does matter. The downgrading of the rating will mean we're charged more interest on government borrowing. Considering that the interest payments on the national debt are the fourth largest single component of public spending, that directly impacts the relationship between tax and public services.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I thought borrowing was actually cheaper since Brexit. I will have to see if I can find a link.
    ICBM said:

You can laugh and think it doesn't mean much, but it does matter. The downgrading of the rating will mean we're charged more interest on government borrowing. Considering that the interest payments on the national debt are the fourth largest single component of public spending, that directly impacts the relationship between tax and public services.
    Exactly.

And this illustrates the problem.
    Some people are ridiculously ignorant of the consequences of voting out.

It should never have been put to the people to decide.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic;1133912" said:
    Spot on. I posted this on Facebook about this time last week:

'Final pre-result thought for the day....

I know a lot of people view this referendum as democratic - but democracy is being able to elect a government, which governs on our behalf. Today risks a bad decision being made, based on misinformation and emotive scare-mongering.

I hope I'm wrong....'

I wasn't. It's been the most almighty of political fuck-ups....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Ah, but the propositions are not mutually exclusive; I can laugh yet still think it matters. That's why I went and looked at the ratings to assess our relative position vis a vis other nations. Which, on scrutiny, suggest we're some way yet from flat-liner status.

Of course, one of the reasons we dropped a(nother) notch today was Carney's sensible and measured statement  that he may - note, may - deploy QE over the coming months. If he needs to. Which he hasn't. Yet.

Our downgrading is due not to an actual decline in our economic fundamentals (trade, productivity, GDP) but a shift in perceptions by distant analysts who can change their mind either way at the drop of a hat.

Glass half-full sort of chap, that's me. It's the only way to be. :-)
    quarky said:
    I thought borrowing was actually cheaper since Brexit. I will have to see if I can find a link.

Bond yields went down a couple of days ago then went back up today when Carney mentioned quantitative easing. The more I see of that fellow the more I like him.

Markets schmarkets.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Ah, but the propositions are not mutually exclusive; I can laugh yet still think it matters. That's why I went and looked at the ratings to assess our relative position vis a vis other nations. Which, on scrutiny, suggest we're some way yet from flat-liner status.

Of course, one of the reasons we dropped a(nother) notch today was Carney's sensible and measured statement  that he may - note, may - deploy QE over the coming months. If he needs to. Which he hasn't. Yet.

Our downgrading is due not to an actual decline in our economic fundamentals (trade, productivity, GDP) but a shift in perceptions by distant analysts who can change their mind either way at the drop of a hat.

Glass half-full sort of chap, that's me. It's the only way to be. :-)
    Point taken :). I've been getting quite surrealist about some of this too ;).

Of course it's also worth pointing out that the reason the rating matters more here than in some other countries is because of the colossal amount of debt we're in. It's only because the national debt is more than one and a half trillion pounds, or over 80% of GDP, that the interest on it is so enormous and such a large part of expenditure. Thanks, Gordon.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2016
    octatonic said:

Spot on. I posted this on Facebook about this time last week:

'Final pre-result thought for the day....

I know a lot of people view this referendum as democratic - but democracy is being able to elect a government, which governs on our behalf. Today risks a bad decision being made, based on misinformation and emotive scare-mongering.

I hope I'm wrong....'

Just as well I voted Remain, then. I really wouldn't want to be bracketed with the stupid, uneducated poor people who've simply ruined things for the pampered bourgeoisie and their gun dogs.

I mean, the awful rabble have got nothing to live for so they decide to take it out on 'well-educated', well-travelled high status people like me. God knows, I may have to sell little Athena's pony and cancel her Mandarin Chinese lessons.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    octatonic said:

Just as well I voted Remain, then. I really wouldn't want to be bracketed with the stupid, uneducated poor people who've simply ruined it for the pampered bourgeoisie and their gun dogs.

I mean, the awful rabble have got nothing so they decide to spoil it for 'well-educated', well-travelled high status people like me. God knows, I may have to sell little Athena's pony and cancel her Mandarin Chinese lessons.
    Hmmmm Strawman- I must have touched a nerve.

I don't have a gun dog- I have a bulldog.
    Isn't she a cutey?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016

octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Just as well I voted Remain, then. I really wouldn't want to be bracketed with the stupid, uneducated poor people who've simply ruined it for the pampered bourgeoisie and their gun dogs.

I mean, the awful rabble have got nothing so they decide to spoil it for 'well-educated', well-travelled high status people like me. God knows, I may have to sell little Athena's pony and cancel her Mandarin Chinese lessons.
    Hmmmm Strawman- I must have touched a nerve.

I don't have a gun dog- I have a bulldog.
    Isn't she a cutey?

She's a lovely dog for sure. :-)

As for the strawman thing - well,  I'm not the one suggesting that certain people are ridiculously ignorant and should not be allowed to vote. Mind you, you're not the one celebrating his prescience and quoting himself off facebook; so you've got that in your favour. 

On another matter: did anyone ever suggest if you shaved your beard off you'd look a bit like Michael Gove? That's a compliment, by the way, honest. I like the chap.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    skankdelvar;1133954" said:
    Just as well I voted Remain, then. I really wouldn't want to be bracketed with the stupid, uneducated poor people who've simply ruined things for the pampered bourgeoisie and their gun dogs.

I mean, the awful rabble have got nothing to live for so they decide to take it out on 'well-educated', well-travelled high status people like me. God knows, I may have to sell little Athena's pony and cancel her Mandarin Chinese lessons.
    Listen mate - you've picked the wrong person for that kind of shit.

I was born in one of the poorest parts of Manchester - I was decrying no one voting - my concern was with the campaign.

I do not - and never will - equate being poor with being stupid.

You are bang out of order.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom