The most disturbing phone call to LBC I have ever heard, 1 hour ago.

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    lloyd said:
    lloyd;1131601" said:
    earwighoney said:

I hate to be a downer but this kind of shit has been happening for ages to certain extents but I hate to say it the reason why the press are really covering it now it's because it's white on white racism. 

That's bullshit.
    He's right. This sort of thing has been happening in Belfast for years.
    In addition I imagine lloyd believes calling a Liverpudlian a 'bin dipper' is as up there with 'the N word'.

Fuck off dickhead you know fuck all about me.
    Sorry chap, I won't use that term then.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    lloyd said:
    lloyd;1131601" said:
    earwighoney said:

I hate to be a downer but this kind of shit has been happening for ages to certain extents but I hate to say it the reason why the press are really covering it now it's because it's white on white racism. 

That's bullshit.
    He's right. This sort of thing has been happening in Belfast for years.
    In addition I imagine lloyd believes calling a Liverpudlian a 'bin dipper' is as up there with 'the N word'.

Fuck off dickhead you know fuck all about me.
    Sorry chap, I won't use that term then.  

What the fuck are you talking about? Explain what you meant by me thinking that calling scousers bin dippers is as bad as calling people niggers?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    I think the original point of the press highlighting white v white racism is because those idiots with the " we've got our country back " mentality feel legitimised and endorsed by the Brexit outcome and this has allowed the anti E European feeling of those people to bubble to the surface although it has been fermenting for a long time.
     As far as press comment goes in respect of white on white ...........the old press adage applies......
     " Dog bites man is not news ......Man bites dog is "  or in this case Man bites other white .christian Caucasian as opposed to Black, Pakistani / Muslim ,Jew, etc as most of the racist bus ranters featured recently have .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I think the media are just using Brexit as a tenuous link to say that attacks on whatever minority are happening because of Brexit.  I would be surprised if these attacks haven't already been happening before now.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    nail on the head. @bingefeller
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Perhaps more incidents are happening, perhaps not, but either way, the people doing this shit felt the same way this time last week, they just didn't have the confidence to shout shit in the street.

I'd rather live in a society where people aren't racist. This will flush people out, where the vast majority of us who aren't racists can confront the behaviour and correct it.

I'd rather that than just pretend it's not an issue, when it clearly was. Short term pain, long term gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    chrispy108;1131977" said:
    Perhaps more incidents are happening, perhaps not, but either way, the people doing this shit felt the same way this time last week, they just didn't have the confidence to shout shit in the street.

I'd rather live in a society where people aren't racist. This will flush people out, where the vast majority of us who aren't racists can confront the behaviour and correct it.

I'd rather that than just pretend it's not an issue, when it clearly was. Short term pain, long term gain.
    Wis'd. There has always been a disturbing amount of racism hidden just below the surface. The political correctness brigade just made the racists wear better camouflage. Much better to expose it and confront it than pretend it doesn't exist.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    There are only really 2 ways to "confront" racism and "correct" peoples behaviour though:

1) Ask people not to be racist.

2) Use force.

So, by taking 1) off the table we get the opportunity do...what exactly? 

Unless you're suggesting this is a great chance to crack some nazi skulls I don't see the logic where more open racism = less racism.

Also, regarding "the vast majority of us who aren't racists can confront it" - check how many bystanders step in on that video of the guy yelling racial slurs on the bus.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Wiz for @chrispy108

Racists don't just appear out of thin air, it's takes a while to get to that stage of 'thinking' imho. I'm sure racism was there before the referendum and the numpties who voted 'out' because of immigrants are probably out of their pathetic minds with joy right now :(

That was a hard call to listen to :(

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    I know loads of Asian girls who don the headscarf. They get shit all the time as they are easy targets.

Funnily enough I don't get random racism shit anymore. Not really since the 80s.

Always ready to slap some cunt though ;)
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    Interestingly, the National Police Chiefs Council has issued a statement noting that the number of hate crimes recorded by their online reporting centre has increased by 57%.

Which sounds horrific until you realise that it's an increase from 54 to 85 incidents over 4 days or seven additional incidents per day across England and Wales. As the NPCC goes on to say:

This is similar to the trends following other major national or international events. In previous instances, crime levels returned to normal relatively quickly but we are monitoring the situation closely.

These figures only take into account reports through one mechanism, reports are also made directly to forces and other community groups like Tell Mama and Community Security so this is not an overall national figure ...This should not be read as a national increase in hate crime of 57% but an increase in reporting through one mechanism'.

Of course, 85 incidents is bad enough and intolerable. There will have been more and it is entirely possible that other bodies have recorded an increase though nothing seems to have been issued that I can find.
    hugbot said:
    There are only really 2 ways to "confront" racism and "correct" peoples behaviour though:

2) Use force.

Why is number 1 off the table?

We educate, we name and shame, we arrest people and give them criminal records, we stand up and confront people. Society needs to makes it clear that it is unacceptable. Just because people didn't confront it in that case, doesn't mean others shouldn't or wouldn't. I bet most of those bystanders are sitting at home feeling like shit, and will stand up next time.

Talk to people in any sort of minority (race, religion, sexuality, trans etc) and they will tell you that whilst they aren't openly attacked in the street often, they get tutted at, glared at, doors not held open, opportunities at work not given etc etc, and that stuff is just as hurtful to individuals and society as being shouted at in the street.
    hugbot said:

2) Use force.

Why is number 1 off the table?

We educate, we name and shame, we arrest people and give them criminal records, we stand up and confront people. Society needs to makes it clear that it is unacceptable. Just because people didn't confront it in that case, doesn't mean others shouldn't or wouldn't. I bet most of those bystanders are sitting at home feeling like shit, and will stand up next time.

I was referring to chalkys "political correctness police" comment. If we take the tack that political correctness is bad because it just pushes racism underground where it cant be challenged, then whats the plan for "confronting" it? Without being "politically correct" I mean. 

Talk to people in any sort of minority (race, religion, sexuality, trans etc) and they will tell you that whilst they aren't openly attacked in the street often, they get tutted at, glared at, doors not held open, opportunities at work not given etc etc, and that stuff is just as hurtful to individuals and society as being shouted at in the street.

Talk to anyone who's experienced both and I'd bet they'd prefer the being tutted at rather than attacked.

Like, ask any black person "ok, you have the choice of living in the 2010s, where racism means black people debatably don't get that many oscars compared to white people,  or in the 1950s, where dating a white woman gets you lynched, which do you pick?"

I'd rather be attacked than never get promoted at work through no fault of my own due to a secretly racist boss.

You're being silly about your second point, those aren't the two options.

If you think the only racism in 2010 is oscars and these recent incidents of name calling on a bus you're totally deluded.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Can't even be racist in your own country now. "Great" Britain my arse
    My V key is broken
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016

I'd rather be attacked than never get promoted at work through no fault of my own due to a secretly racist boss.

You're being silly about your second point, those aren't the two options.

If you think the only racism in 2010 is oscars and these recent incidents of name calling on a bus you're totally deluded.
    Of course not. 

My point is that while saying that subtle racism is a bad problem  is a true sentiment, it doesent change the fact that the overt kind is typically the one more disruptive and painful.

Nor does challenging the open kind stop the subtle kind.

Most minorities I know don't have any high hopes for racism disappearing forever, they'd settle for racists just shutting the fuck up and letting them live their lives without having to deal with the worse aspects of it. If that means that racism just goes "underground" then good, let it stay underground.

My friend got called a chinky in the street for the first time since arriving the other day, I'm struggling for reasons to say  "this is good long term because___"
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The referendum result seems to have made racist idiots feel legitimised.
    It's a horrible and dangerous development.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    My sisters kids are starting to get bullied at school. They have a Dutch surname as my brother in law is Dutch. But the are adopted and natural father is indionisian I think. Till Monday never an issue. Now all 3 kids coming home in tears every day.

My dad voted leave. We are all very pissed off with him. I work in switzerland, 1 sister in Germany other sister married a Dutch guy and my cousin works for an airline owned by Saudis.

We knew he'd vote that way as his political ideas have always been anti eu due to loss of sovereignty, but the world has changed around those ideas. Globalisation is here and he is stuck in the past.

Nationalism premotes the politics of hate. That lesson should have be learned years ago and what's happening in the USA should have reinforced it.

There is no question in my mind that uk France and Germany could all be better off without the eu hanging round their necks. But the whole point of the project was to bind Europe together to work for a common cause and to bring stability to the continent. It's been spectacularly successful in that regard. We have brought the eastern block in from the cold. Sure it needs some reform but idiologicaly it's sound. It's just a shame that enoigh people across Europe don't see the common good it has brought and think only of me me me. The voters for brexit will get the politicians the deserve.

Brexit has shown us just how small minded, intolerant and nasty at heart some people are. I would even go so far as saying it's one of the saddest event in European politics and the Leaders from both EU and Britain now have to stand up and show their worth. Heaven help us if we get Boris who has been out witted by Cameron, who now maybe rates as one of the worst PMs ever? Let's not even talk about that bunch of jerks in the labour party.

Fully expect Holland and Sweden to follow suit now.

And seeing Frage looking so smug and pleased with himself as destroyer in chief. I would love to turn him into a pinata.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    My sisters kids are starting to get bullied at school. They have a Dutch surname as my brother in law is Dutch. But the are adopted and natural father is indionisian I think. Till Monday never an issue. Now all 3 kids coming home in tears every day.

Man that sucks about your sister's children.  Hope things get back to normal as soon as possible. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834

Man that sucks about your sister's children.  Hope things get back to normal as soon as possible. 
    Thanks :) I hope so too. My sister's eldest is quite fragile as the adoption happened when she was old enough to remember. As a 13 year old girl, she has enough to worry about without school turning from a happy place into a nightmare.  School holidays can't come soon enough.